Has anyone added a computer desk?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We had Davis Cabinets make a combination desk and pullout table. It also has a custom-made dog house, removable if desired for file space or other use. (BTW the MH is for sale; ad on for sale board.)

Attachments

• 600_2003Magna_JWW_20130806_0503.jpg
    600_2003Magna_JWW_20130806_0503.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 162
  • 602_2003Magna_JWW_20130806_0482.jpg
    602_2003Magna_JWW_20130806_0482.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 148
skyking4ar2, how do you keep the keyboard tray from coming open when you're driving?  My motorhome came with something similar in the living room, a keyboard tray with a drawer underneath, and I have to tie the handle to a nearby door handle to keep it from sliding out.  Have you found a more elegant solution? 

I would like to know if after removing the couch and perhaps the dinette and installing a custom desk/recliner area was it more difficult to sell the RV? I'd like to go from couch/dinette to L-shaped work desk and recliner but wonder what will happen to the value and ease of selling the RV in the future.

-Eric

Quick answer.... For the buyer who says it's the cats meow but won't pay extra.

For the other buyer who says shucks I wanted a couch..probably won't buy.

Money ?  Big question-mark.  Do it and enjoy your desk, that's worth something.

We removed table and chairs from our Luxor and replaced with this; bought a section of wood counter top and a pull-out cabinet from IKEA. Cheap and easy, doesn't stick out into the walkway as much. It gives more room to eat and now we can look out the window at the world. Clean the dishes off and the computer comes out of the cabinet and takes its place up top.

Attachments

• 0212121748.jpg
    0212121748.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 161
johntaves said:
If you are going to build a cool desk you should build in the right computer. It should be silent, very low power, and small enough to mount in some place where you won't see it. It should drive at least 2 monitors. A laptop will not be good enough. Laptops clutter the desk, aren't bolted down, and make noise. Yes, I am being a perfectionist.

The photo shows a computer that is similar to the one I mounted under my desk at home. The idea is to mount this under or inside the RV desk. Don't buy one of those metal computer cases. They only consume space, power, and make fan noise.

This motherboard is an Intel DQ77KB (mini-itx form factor). It takes 19v DC in. It should be easy to find a 12v DC to 19v adapter to run it from the battery of the RV, but an A/C brick power supply that has no moving parts, thus no noise, is easy enough to find (logicsupply.com).

The cpu can be an i3, i5, or i7 and there are some of these that use a maximum of 35w. Mine is the i3-2100T which is plenty of speed for almost anything. The fan that you see is the only moving part. It cools the CPU, but since the CPU hardly heats up, the fan spins slowly. I cannot hear it unless I get under the desk to listen. The disk is an SSD (intel 330), so it is silent, fast, and low power. These disks come in a mSata chip that plugs into the motherboard, so the ugly cables you see in the photo would disappear if I had bought that type. The computer boots from off to useful in 14 seconds.

I have a portable external DVD player that I can plug in whenever I need it. You should be able to find an "internal" type dvd player and then mount that somewhere that allows you to get to it without seeing it much.

There are LCD monitors that are very thin and take 19v DC in. I have not looked in earnest to find one that has a removable stand so that it can be put onto a monitor arm, but I am sure they exist.

The other thing I need to find are the momentary switches and LEDs that comprise the front panel. The desk will have a switch mounted somewhere handy and hidden to turn the thing on/off, and there will be an LED that shows me when it is on.

Get a wireless keyboard and mouse so that there are no wires to ugly the setup.

Regarding the printer: it makes noise, is bulky, and eats trees. Go paperless.

jt

That is a clever idea.

EMan508 said:
I really want to have my big two monitor computer system with me for stock trading while full-timing.
I will add a computer desk by custom maked. BTW, will trading be safe in the US while fulltiming by using the Public network?

We are in a front living room model.  WE removed one of the couches and my husband built a desk from a custom cut piece of counter top from home depot and filing cabinets from staples with customer wood fronts placed on them. 

I'm currently using this:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004D8VFE0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The only problem are the wheels, they're cheap, but you can easily find replacements from any local Walmart.
The desk itself is sturdy and weighs in around 40lbs.

I've been trying to figure this out too.  Finally came up with the answer. Spiderlegs Folding Laptop Desk.  I found it on Amazon, but then I found the actual website for the guy who makes them.  He can do all kinds of custom stuff.  The desk top is 25 x 16, but we wanted it 25 x 19 so the keyboard could also fit on there.  For only a few dollars more he made it that size.  It folds down so easily and we use Command Tabs (and 2 plastic "hooks") --  my husband figured out where on the back side of the desk to stick the hooks, and then attached the command strips to the wall -- they are called "bundlers - cord organization".  The desk folds down (like spider legs) and then we attach it to the wall when we travel.  When we get there, it pops up and sits either up front by the passenger seat -- or in front of the sofa.  It's pefect!  The guy also makes coffee tables and all kinds of furniture that pops up.  Perfect for Rvs.  Each one is made at the time you order, so it takes a week or a little longer before he ships it from California.  I hope this info helps others, as I looked a long time to find something.
His website is:
http://spiderlegs.com/

I built one in, where the coach used to have a cutesy little corner shelf/cabinet. It's next to my recliner, so all I have to do is swivel 90 degrees to the tube.

I'm fortunate that everything I need to do can be handled by a good laptop. I don't store or send paper (print to PDF is a wonderful thing) and seldom need to scan documents (in a pinch a decent usb or phone camera can make do).
I can work from the dinette, but I found this little folding porta-desk at Walgreens a few years ago for twenty bucks and it's worked out just great. I can use it inside from a comfy chair but prefer to set up shop outdoors whenever possible.
When I need a second monitor I use the TV.

Attachments

• 1381318_10201009196606217_1105573657_n.jpg
    1381318_10201009196606217_1105573657_n.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 72
I just turn my dinette table 90 degrees keeping one post in and a file box on the right bench seat to keep it level, I run a laptop with 2 screens , full size wireless keyboard and mouse. I got a small office chair on wheels and it fits perfectly between the benches. It takes about 3 minutes to set up and take down.  The chair stores under my couch when not being used or I have it bungee corded to the leg of the table if I want to travel and leave it up.

We have been traveling for 14 months in our Class A RV and are working full-time while on the road. We built a full custom office in the rear of our RV. It cost a few thousand dollars but has been worth every penny. I have a computer with four monitors, a UPS and printer. It is an awesome setup. I also have a Herman Miller Aeron chair. Everything is bolted down so nothing moves when we are traveling. It has been quite the adventure, tons of fun but it sure is a steep learning curve. Our RV is currently for sale but you can see pictures of our custom setup. Click this link to see our setup.

Edit: Replaced link to ad with link to photo.

I removed my dinette which was super simple but frustrating. Why so many mismatched screws keystone? Why?!

Carpet was the same underneath. Only issue I had was some wood strip that went down the side of the slide stopped at the dinette bench. So there's a gap now but to not really a big deal. If you have a border or something that may happen to you as well.

I used an ikea desk bc it's lightweight and inexpensive yet durable. So if I want to redecorate I can and if I want to keep it it will last. I added wooden crates from michaels for storage and decoration. When I travel I just flip them on their side and everything stays put. I use a little laptop bench to elevate my computer.

Attachments

• 564EE580-DD3C-4373-9051-7B8887D8DA9F-30518-000013BA8778C55D_tmp.png
    564EE580-DD3C-4373-9051-7B8887D8DA9F-30518-000013BA8778C55D_tmp.png
    17.5 KB · Views: 45
Back
Top Bottom