Hauling an Alpine 3640RL with a Ford F250 Diesel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Morgan CDN

We are about to get into RVing as a retirement lifestyle.

We are considering the purchase of a new Alpine 3640RL. To haul this we are looking at purchasing a 2011 Ford F250 short box with a diesel engine. We will be adding an Air Ride suspension to the truck. On paper the numbers  seem to be OK! We would like to stay with the F250 in order to have a comfortable ride when the RV is not attached.

As we are new to RVing we are seeking experienced opinions. Are we on the correct track? Do we have the correct truck for the RV?

Thanks in advance for everyone's time

09/12/10 8AM

Thanks for everyones reply. As stated above I am also going to be adding an Air Ride Assist to the Ford 250. As an example Air Lift Super Duty will add 5000lbs of lifting capacity to the truck. If I read Ford's specs correctly the only difference between the 250 & 350 is added springs to give a greater payload rating. The towing capacity does not change as the engine & transmission are the same. By using the air system I can add extra lift when hauling 5th wheel and take lift out to give a better ride when 5th wheel not attached.

Has anyone had any experience with air assist systems on their vehicle?

Thanks again for everyone's time

Morgan CDN

Wanted to 2011 with the new Scorpion 6.7 diesel because it is a screamer.
I just bought the 2010 F250 with the 6.4 and love it.

Others will chime in for sure, but my 2 cents if it were me -> the 2011 F250, even with the new engine is too small of frame.
I am sure it will pull it, but if you are going to invest in that size a 5th wheel for the next say 10 years, I would also invest in the tow vehicle for the same time period. At $50K+ for a new truck, don't short end the truck to save $$..

I would go for a F350 minimum and quite possibly the F450 and make sure you get the engine brake option added (from Ford or aftermarket).
You might also want a dually for added stability.

While my wife would not be happy, she is the first to say safety first and would want the bigger truck to confidently pull and STOP.
Again, just my thoughts and how I would deal with it.

If the fivers GVWR is over about 10,000 pounds get a 1 ton.  If it is over about 13K get a dually.  Regardless of what salesman will tell you you can never have too much truck.  But it sure is costly to have too little.

With the right configuration, an F250 diesel can haul 16,000 lbs or maybe as much as 16,400. The Alpine 3640RL grosses 15,500, so it is pushing the limits of the truck.  We recommend that you discount the max tow rating by 10% to allow for the weight of passengers and gear in the truck and the weight of the 5W hitch, none of which is factored in to the max tow rating. Max tow is for a truck that is empty except for driver and fuel, and few people travel that way.

You also have to be aware of the pin weight, i.e. the load the trailer puts on the hitch and hence on the rear axle of the truck. That Alpine is going be run around 3000 lbs or maybe even a bit more. I think the F250 GAWR is about 6000 lbs, but that has to carry the truck as well as the trailer pin weight, so I think you are going to go over that by maybe 500 lbs or so.

I would also suggest a long bed truck for a trailer that big. It gives the truck more wheelbase, which helps stabilize the tow.

I'd probably get a dually for that much trailer, but I concede it will make the truck a bit less convenient when not towing.

I will also agree with all the above.  That's a lot of trailer for an F-250.  I would go F-350 minimum.  The empty ride really won't be that much different.  Probably not even enough for you to notice.  Drive them both and see.  And while I think donn may be just a bit conservative on his numbers, I do agree with his "you can never have too much truck".  I got a long bed crew cab, and it was a little intimidating at first.  But I got used to it and really have no issues at all with it. 

Good luck, and keep us posted (and ask more questions).

Agree with Gary.

Ford rates the F250 rear axle/tire capacity at around 6000-6100 RAWR. The Ford is a heavy truck. many F250 owners have reported a rear axle weight of 2800-2900 lbs when empty.  Throw in the hitch/junk/folks and your left with around  2500-2700 lbs for a "wet" pin weight.

The F350 SRW has a 7000 RAWR/tire capacity. That equates to around  3500 lb for a "wet" pin weight 

The DRW truck has a 9000 RAWR/tire capacity for about 5000-5500 lb payload. Plenty truck for a 15k-16k  trailer. All above numbers depend on the trucks actual  unladin rear axle weights.

The F250 is a stout truck and is without a doubt like all  3/4 ton HD the most underrated truck out there simple because of low RAWR, spring and tire capacities.

I know we have members here who are towing huge trailers with 3/4 ton diesel trucks, exceeding the rating considerably and getting away with it. The ones I know of are also technically aware and religious in maintenance, so they know they are pushing the truck's capabilities and work to prevent problems or fix them before they break down. But I worry about the average guy who is not a gear head and just wants to drive comfortably and safely to their destination with the family.  They are much better off staying under the rating limits.

Oldest son just got a 2011 F350 with the diesel and it rides better than my 2002 F250 so I would not hesitate to go with the F350 if my 5er weighted what you want.

Having been in your shoes; 3/4 ton shortbed pulling 37', 13,0000lb trailer; I would recommend getting a bigger truck.  You will want to be able to go when and where you want and not be 'white knuckleing' during difficult conditions like a 20mph side wind, or sudden maneuvers to avoid other traffic.  Pulling that trailer with a medium duty truck falls in my comfort level.  A Ford f-650 four door would fill the bill nicely, comes with the mighty Cummins too!

There is absolutely no difference in ride feel between tge F350 and the F250, Ford no longer add leaves to the main spring packs, they add them to tge overload springs. IMO that makes the F250 a non option. You get less capacity with the F250 is all. However, you really should go F350 dually, that's a lot of pin weight, all it takes is one rear blowout at 65mph and it can be really ugly. Its on my mind 100% of the time when im towing my 34 footer with my srw F350.
The earlier comment about the 2011 having a smaller frame has me scratching my head, everything I've seen says the frame is stronger than the 2010 model. The only debating Ford did was with the F450, they went for fuel mileage to satisfy the government instead of the massive capacities.

Take the GVWR of the truck - you will max it out - and add it to the trailer GVWR. Subtract the pinweight. Are you over the GCWR?

FastEagle

Stewie Griffin said:
However, you really should go F350 dually, that's a lot of pin weight, all it takes is one rear blowout at 65mph and it can be really ugly.
Seems to me that you'd be in more trouble if a front tire blows.

I decided on an F250 for the same reason.  I figured it would ride better.  It's hard to imagine anything having a rougher ride than my F250.  On a rough road we can't even talk.  Mine is an 2005 diesel CC with long bed and 4 wheel drive.  It weighs 7,600 with a load of fuel and me behind the wheel.  That leaves 2,400 max pin weight.  But before you count your chickens, deduct the weight of any other passengers and everything you've got inside the cab and the truck bed.  Also, don't forget the weight of the hitch.  I want to kick myself every time I look at a 5er that I can't buy. 

I am on a truck search myself right now for a similar sized trailer. I can tell you that the F250 will be overloaded. The F250 has at most 1683 lbs of payload. Subtract passengers and gear and the 5th wheel hitch and you will be doing good if you have 1100lbs of payload left. Much to light for the trailer you are looking at.

Consider the F350 SRW at minimum with a payload rating around 3300lbs. I test drove the dually version and it is definitely stiffer than the F250 but has much higher payload at 4200 lbs. F350 SRW are rare around here so haven't test drove one yet but those who have them say they ride the same. The springs aren't stiffer. Instead Ford added an extra spring that only comes into play when loaded.

If you go the dually route make sure it will fit in your garage. It's about 22' long.

I am looking into the Chevy trucks now. They have a higher payload when compared to Ford. If that is the most important factor that may be worth you looking into.

The F250 has at most 1683 lbs of payload.

The Ford site shows much higher payloads than that - see http://www.ford.com/trucks/superduty/specifications/payload/

But the point is still valid - check the payload, rear axle GAWR, and tow capacity on any model you are considering - there can be a wide variation from seemingly minor differences. And allow for passengers and gear - the only thing included in the ratings is a 154 lb driver and a tank of fuel. Even the weight of the hitch is extra and must be subtracted from the max ratings.

Gary RV Roamer said:
The Ford site shows much higher payloads than that - see http://www.ford.com/trucks/superduty/specifications/payload/

But the point is still valid - check the payload, rear axle GAWR, and tow capacity on any model you are considering - there can be a wide variation from seemingly minor differences. And allow for passengers and gear - the only thing included in the ratings is a 154 lb driver and a tank of fuel. Even the weight of the hitch is extra and must be subtracted from the max ratings.

Correct some models will have higher. The 4x2 regular cab has 2868lbs. The numbers I was quoting were for a Crewcab 4x4 long bed (8'). Also, the book does not take into account options you add. I have looked at many F250's lately and the door sticker showing payload rating is lower than the book.

I think the best bet if thinking F250 is to get the F350 SRW. It rides exactly the same. I test drove one last night back to back with a F250 and you can't tell the difference. You get about 1000lbs more payload with that truck and it will be cheaper than adding airbags.

Didn't know that about the door sticker.  I wonder if it's specific to the vehicle or more generic to base models.  As Gary RV Roamer points out, each truck optioned a bit differently.  For now, I'm back to thinking motorhome.  Big question is SB house.  Wife want to keep it and rent it out.  I'd like to sell, travel till my bones ache too much and then buy after the traveling bug has left.  Hoping the bones hold out. 

Tony_Alberta said:
Seems to me that you'd be in more trouble if a front tire blows.

I used to think that way too but I've had numerous flat tires while towing construction equipment and I found out that a rear blowoutis far worse. Reason being that's where all the weight is and if you're in the middle of a turn you could end up flipping the trailer, the rear end of your SRW truck will kick out and fish tail. You can control the truck better on a front blowout because its not carrying the heavy weight and you have control of that axle via the steering wheel.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thumpercolt
Back
Top Bottom