Haven't bought yet, and wondering about: Showers in an RV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
And then there are those of us who never use the campground showers.  The reason we have a motorhome is so we can have - and use - our own facilities.  The closest our shower gets to being used for storage is when we hang wet bathing suits or raincoats in it.  Someone once told me they use the shower to store their suitcases and I wondered why they had suitcases.  Oh well, to each their own.

So, as the original poster wondered, there are all extremes with everything in between.  The thing is you have to get what suits your needs and size.

ArdraF

Using the campground showers certainly depends on the campground....I just finished a wonderful 30 minute shower and never had to concern myself with running out of water, filling up the tanks or running out of hot water...but the campground I happen to be in has by far some of the nicest and cleanest bathrooms I have ever seen. And I say bathroom, it is a full 10 foot square room with toilet, sink and vanity, place to sit down and a full sized home shower, with plenty of hot water and squeaky clean. It is one of the reasons I stay here and will make a pint of returning. Nice tile floors locked door and your own private full sized bathroom...hard to beat!

I use my shower in the RV from time to time, boondocking or when in a campground that has shared type showers or ones that I don't feel particularly enthralled with the cleanliness. But when I do it is a navy type shower, which gets the job done but more of a struggle.

I lived on a 40 foot sailboat for years and have over 75 thousand miles on the water and most marina bathrooms are marginal at best, so much like my RV it was quick Navy showers and you get used to it, but if I have a choice, I will put my crap in a bag and walk or even drive to the showers and relax and enjoy my nice long shower....I am shopping for a newer 5th wheel and one of my requirements will be a little bit larger shower and a larger hot water heater, but given a nice clean campground shower, then that is where I will be!

It is really not a huge issue, it may seem like it, but you will get used to using less water and dealing with confined spaces, that is just RV life or boat life....they are very similar.

Good luck...

Jim

Wavery said:
I keep reading about these Oxygenics shower heads on this and other forums.......... is there a specific one that is better for RV use. I see a dozen different ones on amazon. Is this a good one?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005G4EO66/ref=s9_psimh_gw_p60_d0_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=1DVZPRDBSH442YJ3KV2R&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1389517282&pf_rd_i=507846
OK..... I received our Oxgenics shower head. Took my 1st shower with it this afternoon and I am impressed. I don't know if I saved a lot of water but it sure gave me a nice shower. I have a lot of body hair and it normally takes a bit of time to rinse off. I'd say that I can rinse off with this in half the time.

Thanks for the input....... ;D

I have a 6 gallon water heater in my 2012 motorhome.  It is very fast to heat up, and in fact, I seldom turn it on more than 3-4 minutes before I step in the shower, and I have plenty of water for a navy shower.  If a second person wanted to shower, even right after I got out, I am sure it would be reheated by then. 

Admittedly the shower head does not provide as much water as the one in my condo did, but it is plenty for me to get wet, soap up, and rinse thorughly, including my hair.  I have never used the campground showers in 10 months of full-timing and don't intend to! 

I would not bother with a new water heater, if it were me.  At least give it a try first.

I guess it's how you look at it and how you use your RV.
Our shower is small and the tub makes it even smaller. We have to do navy showers to conserve water and grey tank capacity. That means 2-3 gals for each of us so a 6 gal hot water heater is more than enough. All of that sounds terrible but did I mention we love it? We have primitive camps since the 80's and having any shower at all is heaven.

Even on my Jayco I've got separate gray water tank for the bathroom. My water heater is a combo electric / propane and 6 gallons. (Atwood). I can take a fairly long shower with shutting down the flow during washing. But I've never had a problem with hot water, space in the shower, or anything as of yet. I've got more waste waste capacity than I do supply water.

Back
Top Bottom