Having a hard time with what hitch

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jeffm920

We purchased a Jayco Eagle 272fks last fall. It's sitting at the in-laws waiting for us to take it camping. I just purchased an '02 F250 Super Duty with the 7.3 diesel and a towing package. Should be able to pull it. The hitch already installed is rated for 10,000 lbs. The GVWR on the tag of the TT states it to be 9000. I will assume that's fully loaded. I doubt we will load it that high but need to prepare just in case. All the ball mounts and 2 5/16" balls are rated at 6,000 lbs.
I need to take this to were we purchased it and see if a WD hitch is needed. I don't know if I need to go purchase a class IV ball mount and ball just so they can remove it and install a WD hitch. When we brought it home we used a standard mount and ball on an F350 dually so a WD wasn't needed.
I want to figure out if I need the weight distribution and if so, how to get it to them safely.
Would I be safe to use what I have to take it 30 miles or am I a fool? Easy on the answer please.

:p

A hitch has three "maximum" ratings - Weight Carrying, Weight Distributed, and Gross Towing Weight. Weight Carrying & Distributed refer to the trailer tongue weight it can handle, with "Carrying" meaning no WD hitch involved. Tow Weight is the weight of the trailer to be pulled.

GVWR refers to the maximum trailer weight when loaded. See the RV Forum Glossary (button on menu at top) - you need to educate yourself about things like GVWR, GCWR, Unladen Weight, Towing Capacity, etc.

A 9000 lb travel trailer will have a tongue weight of around 900-1000 lbs (10-12% of loaded weight).

I don't know where you were shopping for 2 5/16 ball mounts but they go to at least 14,000 lbs.  You won't find those in an Autozone store, though. Here's one example for 10,000 lbs and there are many more on that web site.
http://www.etrailer.com/Ball-Mounts/Andersen/AM3296.html

Your F250 has plenty of payload and rear axle capacity, so it can carry up the 1000 lbs of tongue weight without a WD hitch. However, you might want WD anyway, especially if you plan to carry a lot of gear in the truck bed (firewood, for example), or 4 passengers in the truck. I think I would try it without WD and see how the truck sits (should be level). You should be able to re-sell the ball mount if you want to get WD later.

An alternative is to get a WD hitch head and 2 5/16 ball but not the spring (torsion) bars that give it the actual weight-distributing capability. Figure $250 or so for the head & ball, though.
http://www.etrailer.com/Accessories-and-Parts/Reese/RP54980.html

Yea I was looking at the cheap stores and found the lower rated 2 5/16" ball. The higher capacity balls didn't fit my existing ball mount.
I appreciate the advice. I need to check for sure on how much, if any, the TV and TT dip.

If you just use a standard ball mount, you probably want to add a friction sway controller. Trouble is, they are very sensitive to proper tension adjustment and are useless unless set up correctly, each time you tow. A high quality WD hitch like the Equalizer or Reese Dual Cam build in the sway control and no adjustments needed, but they are a bit pricey to get started.

Forget looking at simple balls for your existing mount - you need a ball mount rated for the weight you will tow, i.e. 9000 lbs or more. You also need an adjustable mount, at least height adjust and preferably height and angle as well.

Gary RV Roamer said:
If you just use a standard ball mount, you probably want to add a friction sway controller. Trouble is, they are very sensitive to proper tension adjustment and are useless unless set up correctly, each time you tow. A high quality WD hitch like the Equalizer or Reese Dual Cam build in the sway control and no adjustments needed, but they are a bit pricey to get started.

Forget looking at simple balls for your existing mount - you need a ball mount rated for the weight you will tow, i.e. 9000 lbs or more. You also need an adjustable mount, at least height adjust and preferably height and angle as well.

I did purchase the larger mount as you linked to. I am fortunate in that there is all the hardware for a Reese anti sway already on the TT. Add some bars and whatever and I should be good to go.

Got the hitch together and seems to be working fine. I have heard and can confirm that the bars rubbing on the cam parts of the anti sway sure make a noise when making turns. Sounds like something is coming apart.  :-\

Back
Top Bottom