Heading south this winter, where to stay ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
P

Peteyboy

For the first time ever, we are going to spend Christmas with our son and his family, in Houston Texas. After the first of the year, we want to head out either West or East, to spend at least January and February in a warmer climate than Western Pa. Any recommendations or ideas ?

Well, either east or west of Houston covers a lot of ground! A lot of RVers winter right in south Texas, e.g. Padre Island, Pharr, etc. Others like the Alabama coast (Gulf Shores area), Florida (most anywhere), and some prefer Arizona & New Mexico.  Are you looking for one place to spend several weeks, or would you travel around? All of those RV winter areas have parks that cater to winter seasonal residents, with numerous community activities. They also have parks more tuned to shorter stay travelers.

What do you prefer, swamp, beach, desert or mountains?

Just got back from Matagorda Bay Nature Park.  Very cool if you like fishing and the beach.  Full hook ups.  The only thing I didn't like is that I had to go through Reserve America and they juice you for a booking fee.  There is also a per person per day fee.  But Park is really cool!

We've spent time in all 3 ares the Gary referenced, and each have lots of good and/or bad things to consider.  We traditionally liked to set up in a park for a few months during the height of the winter, then travel for a couple of months.  While we loved our visits to the desert of the west, it just wasn't what we were looking for.  We found it too remote, and lacked the green areas that we were used to.  So, we have settled on a place in central Florida, which offer decent weather but is more expensive.
      My suggestion is to try each over a few years, and see what you like best.  And since you will be in Texas, you might want to start with the Lower Rio Grand, there are lots of great parks near Mission, Wesleco, etc where you could easily enjoy a couple of months in the winter.

Ed

As Gary said, that is a big area, and we don't really have any particular venue in mind, other than we love to go to oldies dances.  I guess that might narrow it down somewhat.

We head south right after Christmas and stay a few days in Naples and then go down to the FL Keys for a couple of months as it's warmer than the mainland of FL.

In the fall of 2011, my wife and I headed south to find some place without snow, stopped for what was to be a week in the Hill Country of Texas near San Antonio-we didn't move the coach till we went home in the spring and we will be going back for our third winter this December.

The Texans treat their winter Texans good, you will never find more polite,nicer people anywhere and they are proud of their State-as well they should. its a great place!

To within driving distance of Canyon Lake- of course the Alamo and the other missions. The River Walk in San Antonio is great on a cool evening-enough heat from the water to keep the whole area comfortable. The King Ranch, The Johnson Ranch, Austin and the Capitol which gets my vote for the best skyline when you come in from the south on I35. Visit the college and become part of the rivalry with Texas A&M.

Watch the driving of the cattle to the stockyards in Fort Worth, or go to the Nascar races and then go to Southfork, visit Neiman Marcus and attend the college rodeo in Clearwater.

Of course their is The Admiral Niemitz Museumm of the Pacific war in Fredricksburg, and while driving by, stop in at Lukenbach and see who is playing that weekend for their dances-i can recommend the Jazz festival in February.

If you want you can visit Banderas and sit in a saddle while you have lunch and a beer at the bar-also a nice museum.

But the best is right next door in Groene-the best barbecue in Texas at the Grist Mill and the old authentic Dance Hall where all the Texas greats have played.

I haven't mentioned going to Laredo for the Washington day Parade, or visiting Corpus Christi and touring the Warship.

I have missed a lot but on your trip home in the spring you can head to west Texas, visit Big Bend, travel up the panhandle and visit Wink Texas, childhood home of Roy Orbison, see the boyhood home of Bush II in Midland, See the worlds largest Jack Rabbit in Odessa and go to the Buddy Holly museum in Lubbock and the Cadillac ranch in Amarillo.

Oh, there is so much to see and do and so little time.

We will be in the Albany GA area. Temp there is nice 50-60  all winter long. At nights a little cool around 38.... This will be our first time to stay in that area. What draws me there in the $300.00 per month for FULL hook up with cable and internet, and a on site storage building.... We have friends that live about 30 min from there they have checked the place out very clean quite and secure...

Don't laugh, but we stay at Jellystone Park where there is a small contingent of Winter Texans. The staff are phenomenal and the owners try there best to make it a family park-the "happy hour" is from 3-4 under the big oak and is coffee or tea only which tends to raise the calibre of the discussion. Most weekends if it is at all pleasant there are families from San Antonio enjoying the facilities and makes it a lot different than the huge, asphalt parking lot, geriatric parks in Arizona.

Best for me-in two years there not once has somebody tried to organize a gulf game. Biggest thrill is the weekly trip to harbour freight to check out the new arrivals in the tool section.

And it is an awful nice place to be.

Redman,  Sounds real interesting, and my wife has mentioned the San Antonio region a number of times.

I've lived in texas most of my life and saw this thread so I jumped in thinking I'd wow you with great ideas. I came up with a winner; Re-read Redman's post! To save face I'm going to throw in a place that he did not specifically mention. If you like a quiet coastal environment, take a look at the Rockport, Fulton Beach area just north of Corpus Christi.
Niels

We have stayed in Pharr for the last 7 years. If you like dancing you can dance day and night 7 days a week
down there.

Dave

Redman said:
Don't laugh, but we stay at Jellystone Park where there is a small contingent of Winter Texans.

We know it well.  We go by there whenever we go to Sattler or the dam.  We're just up the road off of 306 and 281.

Last winter we spent 6 months touring Texas. Visited 12 State Parks and just Loved it. I can't say enough about about the diversity of the State. The coastal birds in the Rockport area. The beauty of the hill country, Ned picked a fine place as a winter home base!  San Antonio area with the Missions. The Bison herd and the Canyon lands around Amarillo just spectacular. Next time we will come down through the Eastern Lakes and Forest regions to the Rockport area for the wintering birds.

We mainly followed the weather as it got colder we moved south. When it warmed up we went north. We only had 1 time that we could not get into a park on the day we wanted. It was around the Holiday season. So just stayed in a private park a couple days till we could. Their State Park visitor guides are excellent. Made all our reservations online as we went. The Park service website left a little to be desired but we made it work. Will be Exploring more of the State soon..
Jim in Minn

Back
Top Bottom