Heading to Canada

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ed, I got your phone message.  It will be great to see you both.  We will be doing some sightseeing tomorrow and we'll give you a phone call during the day just in case you are not able to pick up email. 

Be sure and tell Donna I have my entire lineage back to 1600 something on one side and the early 1700s on the other side ; but she is probably going much further back than that.

See you guys tomorrow.

Marsha~

OFFICIAL MINIRALLY!

We had a GREAT evening with Ed (hfx cdn) and Donna last evening.  They pulled in late afternoon at the same campground where we are staying.  It sure is fun to put faces to names.  These are wonderful people and lots of fun to spend time with.  They were camped at a provincial park on PEI more toward the north part of the island.  So yesterday they pulled up stakes and headed our way.  In the mean time Tim and I toured the southern part of the island stopping at little coves and view points.  This is a beautiful island with big hay fields and acres and acres of potatoes.

We decided to stay at home and grill out, so Tim and Ed headed to the store to buy PEI mussels and salmon, I whipped up a salad and had just bought some fresh corn at the local vegetable stand.  I'm beginning to develop a love of mussels and I've always loved salmon.  Ed told me how to fix them at home, so now I have the technique.  Tim dug right in and ate his share and maybe even is beginning to like them; but I was in "hog heaven". 

The rest of the evening was filled with us learning more about Canada and how things work.  We all decided the younger generation is much different than our generation with the wants and values.  We decided politics is the the birds and..and ...and.... what else is new.  :D  Donna and I talked about genealogy.  She is much more into it than I; digging into all the side branches of her families.  I just have the "direct" lineage.

Today, Tim and I will tour the north part of this beautiful island and hope to get home in time to at least have a drink with them before we head out for Nova Scotia tomorrow morning.

Picture identities from left to right:  Tim, Marsha, Donna and Ed.  Mussel shell bowl in the middle!

Marsha~

Attachments

• minirallyPEI.jpg
    minirallyPEI.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 44
Marsha,

I'm licking my lips at the sight of those mussels.

we finally got a reservation for the ferry: Wednesday evening at 6:30 meaning we'll get in in the middle of the night

Don't count on it being really dark.  Our 11:30 sailing left at 2:15 am. (Atlantic time) And it starts getting light around 4 am.  We arrive at 8:30 am. (NL time) Trip takes 8 hrs to 8 1/2 hrs  including embarking and disembarking. You have to turn off you propane.

Recommend you call for sailing time before you arrive. Streets in Sydney are really tight for 65'. You don't want to go driving around, if you don't have to.

Barb

There is free open wi-fi on the purser's deck. If you can't sleep, it'll give you something to do. ;) ;)

Marsha:

We spent a week on PEI last year and plan to go back in 2011 for more. Such a beautiful, friendly and tranquil place to visit.

Unfortunately, Tim and Marsha are finding out that the Provincial bird (mosquito) can be quite annoying.  We go our seperate ways today, Donna and I head south east to see some areas we rarely have visited in our trip here, while Tim and Marsha head to the ferry to NS.

Marsha,

Since you acquired such a taste for Tom Horton's coffee, I thought you would like to know that they have started to open Tom Horton's in the States - so far mainly on the east coast.

Happy travels,

Mariekie

Re Tim Horton's coming to the U.S.  I heard on the TV this morning that 10 New York City Dunkin' Donuts closed for the weekend and reopened this morning (Monday) as Tim Horton's.  Guess the invasion has begun in earnest.  :eek:

ArdraF

We've had Tim Horton's in Southeast Lower Michigan for 4 or 5 years. They probably migrated from Windsor. In the Mi TH's the menu sign hanging from the ceiling is in red and blue. And all the combo's are numbered.  Easier to order that way. They have chips and soup also.

Hopefully your day went well and you made ferry connections ok.  Donna & I completed the tip-to-tip by getting to the East Point lighthouse yesterday.  The seals were swimming about 100 feet from shore basking in the sunshine on their backs.  A pretty sight, if we just didn't know what they are doing to the fishery.  We're staying at the Brudenel Provincial Park, which has 2 professionally rated golf couses, which makes me sad that the clubs are not in the coach.  We did have about 15 minutes of thunderstorm with hail after supper, but it was a gorgeous evening after that, too bad those provincial birds were out in full force.

Ed

Ed,  we made the ferry just fine.  Infact we thought we weren't going to be able to get on the 10:30 one, but did.  We were second to the last one on.  Charlie did fine in the coach.  Arrived in Baddeck about 4ish.  We decided not to do the Cabot trail today; but will do it on the way back.  I hope we don't regret that decision; because today was just beautiful.  Did 4 loads of laundry, got groceries and other items at North Sydney.  We stopped at Sobey's for the groceries and I bought 2 lbs of PEI mussels that somehow did not get in my car.  I'm pretty sure the girl forgot to put them in the bag.  Drats!

We tried to get the Motosat to connect up; but no luck.  Satellite TV is also not connecting, so we are on campground WiFi, which isn't bad! 

We met the neighbors who are from Phoenix, AZ.  They have driven this entire way to go to Newfoundland, but have been having trouble with their truck.  It will just not accelerate although the engine is running.  If you turn it off and restart, then everything is fine.  Apparently he's had this trouble for some time and no one at the Ford dealerships at various locations can figure out what's wrong.  So, now they are worried about getting over to NF and having their truck completely fail, so they canceled their ferry reservations and are heading home.  I feel sorry for them, all this way. 

Marsha~

Tim and I spent most of Sunday driving the Northwest section of PEI.  It's a pretty drive and was not nearly as busy as the other parts of the island.  We love little side trips, so when there was a point of interest we would "zip" in.  We founds several little coves and inlets.  One we stopped at had deep sand and dried seaweed.  This part of the island processes and sells dried seaweed.  We were hoping to visit/tour an area where we could learn more about how and why they processed the seaweed; but we never saw anywhere where we could get the information.  Before we drove around that part of the island we were in northern part of the middle section near Cavendish.  Once again we took little "off-shoot" trips.  At one point we stumbled onto a Artisan store that sold works of art from local artist such as: pottery, blown glass, painting, weaving and woodworking.  We bought a beautiful wooden flower stand to give to the people who are looking after out house.  I also bought woven place mats for the coach.  Down the road we stopped at a sweater shop with beautiful items, but very pricey.  We had lunch at a little seaside village where I had a scallop burger which was fabulous.  Tim had a lobster roll; and we shared a bowl of seafood chowder.  The seafood is so great!!!!  Marc, yep the lobster is great cold!  

Arrived home about 5ish thinking maybe we could talk Ed and Donna into a couple of pizzas; but they beat us to the punch and had bought some fresh haddock.  Once again they "took" care of us feeding us grilled haddock, wonderful "new" potatos, which PEI is know for.  We had a really fun evening!   I have Ed's recipe for grilled haddock and have added this to my most favorite fish.

The next morning we were up and going pretty quickly.  The skies opened up and poured with rain off and on.  We said our good-byes and headed for the ferry from PEI to Nova Scotia.  So, we arrived on the bridge, but left by ferry.  We were a bit nervous since we have never had the coach on a ferry before; but the process is really pretty simple.  We pushed trying to make the 10:30 sailing; but not real sure we would make it.  There was a long line ahead of us as we pulled into the loading lane; but we made it and had to really hustle to get the propane turned off and grab what we needed to get upstairs before the ferry started up.

The ride was only 75 minutes with partly cloudy skies and the sun peeking out so we could see the coast line.  We disembarked amidst the rush of everyone getting off.   We found the visitor center, got a map and though we heading to Baddeck, but made a wrong turn and found ourselves needing to turn around.  Tim found "split" in the road and made a U turn going over curbs.  It was rock and roll time; but everything did fine.

We are now at Baddeck Cabot Trail campground, with the sun peeking in and out.  No motosat or satellite TV.  Today we stocked up on food, beer and Tim Horton's coffee  :D.  As I mentioned in the other message we've decided to do the Cabot Trail touring on our way back.  We are parked next to folks from Phoneix, but the neat thing is they have a 5 year old black female standard poodle....Charlie is in love.

Jeff, we found the parish where the local music takes place.  We will most certainly see that on our return.

Tomorrow we board the ferry to NF.

Marsha~

Marsha,

We  are enjoying the falls and Niagara on the Lake.
Beautiful sunny weather at 72 F.
Your Phoenix friends probably have a fuel pump problem.
Be very careful on the Cabot trail.

Hi Giles, 

Isn't Niagara on The Lake a pretty little place.  I bet it is a bit more touristy at the FAlls than when we were there.  Did you end up staying at N.E.T.  I wasn't sure it would be a good campground for you; but it worked very well for us with the dog.

We will be careful on the Cabot Trail and will do it with our little tow car.  The folks who are having a problem with their truck think they can do it with their car and 28' trailer.  I suggested they call the park to ask if that is doable.  It looks on the map to have some very sharp curves.

Beautiful and sunshine galore here at Baddeck.

Marsha~

When you do the Cabot Trail, don't do like my parents did on their honeymoon.  They did not look at the map too much because my dad is a man and my mom can't read a map.  They went around the cabot trail one full circle and were on their way to their 2nd loop when they stopped for gas and ask the attendant.  Then they realized they had already seen it.

Marsha,

We stayed in Niagara for 3 sunny days, at the KOA, as the friends we traveled with had made the reservations. However, we spent half a day in, and loved Niagara on the Lake.
We then went thru Montreal Friday 17th, and made the mistake of arriving at 4 PM; it took 2 hrs to reach the tunnel. The roads are not very good, but I hear that they are doing a lot of repair work.
We are now in Quebec City for 2 weeks. Staying at the KOA again, and have a good site. Weather is very nice, in the high 70's and sunny; quite a relief from the 100 F at home.
We missed Sting, Kiss and Placido Flamingo's shows. Today, we attended a family reunion; tomorrow night, we are going to see a french version of Johnny Cash at the Capitol theater (place d'Youville); we will attend at least two plays next week.

We just did the Cabot Trail 2 days ago.  They had hired a tour bus to take all of us.  There were several places that were pretty scary.  I WOULD NOT ever attempt to do it in a MH, no matter what size.  And if you did, make sure you have a good secondary brake.  On some of those switch backs some MH might have to go at it on 2 attempts.  But it is beautiful, really, really beautiful.
We're in North Sydney and heading for Moncton tomorrow.

Ruth, we're leaving the cottage in Shediac, near Moncton today.  We'll be in Halifax for a week to do the appointment stuff, eyes, blood results, a meeting with the broker, etc.  Too bad we'll miss you, but it is possible that Frank & Barb will meet up with us again after they leave PEI next week end.
    Giles, when do you leave Quebec City?  We're taking the toad up to Ottawa in early August to babysit 2 of the grandkids, if you're still there we might drop in for a glass of wine.

Back
Top Bottom