Heading to DE, MD, VA, NC, SC, GA, FL

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
      We took Hwy 90 across Alligator Alley, as opposed to I 75.  There is a nice visitor's centre with gators in a pond out front, and a couple of primitive campsites to overnight at.  We enjoyed it and should have spent longer, but were too much in a hurry to get the Keys, which then disappointed.
      Be prepared for lots of urban areas, which means heavy traffic, poor vehicular manners, and high prices.  But also be prepared to see gorgeous scenery, with everything from farm country to seashore scenes that you will think are not real.  Linda, it is so different from the west particularly the desert.  Don't laugh when people in the east make reference to mountains, they're all we've got, even if they're puny compared to the Rockies or the Sierras.
      When we head south, we try to come down I 81 through the Shenandoah Valley.  Take a toad trip up the Blue Ridge, enjoy the many Civil War sites, take in one of the many caverns, and enjoy the real farms with cattle or horses grazing on grass (not the mud of the finishing factories you see in the west).
      You'll enjoy the east coast, too bad you aren't coming up to the best part.  ;)

Ed

For budget reasons I do not have a lot of info on the area attractions but if you just need short term parking,, If you enter S.C. from Georgia on I-85, then at Mile Marker 1 (State Route 11) and go north (You do not have a choice) about a half mile to a mile, and on your left is Lake Hartwell State Park.

Water and electric only (30 amp) with sewere dump, rates are not bad epically if you are a senior, go up on Fri,Sat,Sun though.  If you are Catholic there is a very nice church about 20 miles away (I sing in it's choir during the winter)

If you are a thousand trails member then exit 4, double back on the south service road (to the right head towards Eddy's truck stop but do not enter less you need to refuel) Follow that road back about a mile to a Thousand Trails/Naco/Equient park on your left.  I park there.

Ed just mentioned VA caverns.  We just visited Luray Caverns which are right near the top in beauty.  It's self-guided so you can take your time going through them.  Also, Arkansas has Blanchard Caverns but they're probably too far inland.  They're both wonderful.

ArdraF

Hunting Island State Park in Beaufort, SC is ocean front, and great for bird watching.

Lots to see and do in the Lowcountry.

My folks stop at Dixie Crossroads twice a year on their migrations north and south and recommend it.  There is a nice spot in Tabor City, NC that we went for our first camping trip in our new to us trailer.  It is Daddy Joe's Jellystone Park.  All the sites are full hook up and they have several fishing ponds.  Most of the sites look out over the ponds.  Well maintained.  If you are coming down the NC coast there are a lot of things to do in the Wilmington, NC area.

Betty Brewer said:
We were there in November 08  for Thanksgiving.  As I recall we joined their club and then got a rate on the weekly spot which made the cost of joining worth it.  I think $30 or so for the membership.  It was lovely and while  more pricey than some "campgrounds" it was convenient, near things we wanted to see and  was perfect.  Give me some time and I'll get the name of it for you.  We also had a few favorite spots in NC .
Betty
Inflation....inflation...what a difference 3 years makes!  The $30 membership fee you paid is now a $399 membership for a year in Thousand Trails.  I called Sunshine Key Resort today and got the info, and they are e-mailing me more.  The $399 includes 30 days of no-fee camping at the TT sites; unfortunately , the SKR is a "sister" resort, so you get a discount there, from $65 (cheapest site) to $47.  But...if they have sites elsewhere where we will be going on our trip it would be well worth it.  All my plotting and planning does pay off, but what a pain and brain strain.

They had 3 rate structures...$85 on the water, $75 for one row away from water, and $65 for inside sites.  While we do enjoy being on the water, of course, I'm thinking that we'll be spending most of our days at the water anyway.  Do you remember what the site you stayed in was like?  Any pros or cons?

Linda

boatbuilder said:
My folks stop at Dixie Crossroads twice a year on their migrations north and south and recommend it.  There is a nice spot in Tabor City, NC that we went for our first camping trip in our new to us trailer.  It is Daddy Joe's Jellystone Park.  All the sites are full hook up and they have several fishing ponds.  Most of the sites look out over the ponds.  Well maintained. 

Thanks so much!  We will definitely stop at Dixie Crossroads if we are in that area.  I had a previous recommendation on it from somewhere, but when I hear a name a second time, I have to stop in and try their food.  I looked up DJ's Jellystone, and we will definitely stay there if we are anywhere close.  After researching prices in Florida, $38 for a premium space sounds downright cheap!  Again...MUCHAS gracias!

Yellow Jacket said:
Hunting Island State Park in Beaufort, SC is ocean front, and great for bird watching.

Lots to see and do in the Lowcountry.

What a find!  Thanks so much.  We got lucky in TX and AK & got to have some ocean front camping--there's nothing like it!  What do you recommend we do in the Lowcountry.  Any specifics?  I didn't have anything in my notes about things to do in Beaufort.  Is it close to another place that has things you especially like to do?  I'd love to fish, but Dean doesn't, so we skip that.

ArdraF said:
Ed just mentioned VA caverns.  We just visited Luray Caverns which are right near the top in beauty.  It's self-guided so you can take your time going through them.  Also, Arkansas has Blanchard Caverns but they're probably too far inland.  They're both wonderful.

ArdraF

Thanks, Ardra.  I added both to our notes.  I didn't ask anything about our trip home because  we'll only have 18 days between the end of our cruise and having to be back home in CA.  I just assumed we'd be "traveling hard" to make it back  here by Tgiving.  However, we  haven't done Arkansas yet, and Missouri and Arkansas are on my list of "where to go".  We were at Luray Caverns about 20 years ago, but I think it's worthy of a repeat trip.

John From Detroit said:
If you are a thousand trails member then exit 4, double back on the south service road (to the right head towards Eddy's truck stop but do not enter less you need to refuel) Follow that road back about a mile to a Thousand Trails/Naco/Equient park on your left.  I park there.

Thanks for the info on both.  We aren't currently a TT member, but we are investigating joining it for 1 year @ $399, and this added recommendation will factor into our decision.

Linda

Hfx_Cdn said:
      Be prepared for lots of urban areas, which means heavy traffic, poor vehicular manners, and high prices.  But also be prepared to see gorgeous scenery, with everything from farm country to seashore scenes that you will think are not real. 
      When we head south, we try to come down I 81 through the Shenandoah Valley.  Take a toad trip up the Blue Ridge, enjoy the many Civil War sites, take in one of the many caverns, and enjoy the real farms with cattle or horses grazing on grass (not the mud of the finishing factories you see in the west).
      You'll enjoy the east coast, too bad you aren't coming up to the best part.  ;)

Ed

We're doing our mapping tomorrow, so we'll sure look into Hwy. 90 vs. I-90.  I am not one for "repeats" of anything...movies, sites, etc.  But...We loved the Blue Ridge Pkwy. so much last time (2 years ago) that before we ever got into this at all, I thought that if there was a way to work it in, I would definitely do it again.  I laughed when you said "take a toad trip"...we took our RV on it and did some involuntary tree trimming for them.  There aren't any semis allowed up there, and most of the RVs we saw were smaller than our 37'.

I'm dreading the crowds and traffic, but really looking forward to the scenery and wildlife.  The last trip we took was to Texas, and those people are SO NICE, and I got used to that quickly.....and they had great wildlife, too! As for high prices...I told Dean he was going to be eating a lot of my cooking.  I just read on "Trip Advisor" about a guy in Sarasota who ate at a little cafe, and the bill was $170 for 4 burgers and 4 cokes!  Not going to happen to us!!!  I may have found the best diet yet...not eating when the prices are outrageous.

We've been to some of the Northeast Atlantic area 3 of the last 4 years.  What part(s) do you especially enjoy?  We'll try to plan them in for our next trip East.

Linda

RV Roamer said:
The Mighty Eighth Air Force Museum near Savannah is a great stop if you have any interest in WW II history. It's about people as much as airplanes, so not just a "man thing".

Sea World in Orlando is another place that most everybody likes.

Dean especially thanks you.  I told him to go through the AAA Tour Books too because I don't know what air museums he'd like, and there are so many.  He was a private pilot, and while he no longer flies, he still loves his planes.  This sounds like one we'd both enjoy.

We are going to Sea World in San Diego in a couple of days.  I was gifted 2 free tickets, and just couldn't pass it up.  Do you know if Orlando has anything S.D. doesn't?

powderman said:
If you like nautical there is the Mariners' museum in Newport News, Va.  and then in Savannah, Ga,  the Ships of the Sea Museum.  Both are great. ;)

Thanks.  Transportation is Dean's thing, so I'll have him check these out.  I really appreciate your taking the time to answer.

RV Roamer said:
There is a state park at Bahia Honda on Big Pine Key and another in the northeast on Key Largo (John Pennekamp SP). Very popular because the prices are reasonable. Not so great for big rigs, though.

http://www.bahiahondapark.com/

AWESOME!  JUST WHAT I WAS LOOOOOKING FOR (lots of looking).  Really appreciated the link.

Linda

RV Roamer said:
If you see a mosquito in the Keys, report it. They spray regularly by plane and aren't often seen away from the swamps.

Golly, I hope you are right.  When I looked at my log-in page, they had "mosquito watch" on it, so I plugged in a couple of places in FL.  They were shown as "moderate".  But....the most interesting thing was they had an ad for this little fan you clip onto your belt which is supposed to protect you from head-to-toe.  Do you know anything about this?

I do want to go to the Everglades, and I think that is one big swamp!

Linda

Dean & Linda Stock said:
Inflation....inflation...what a difference 3 years makes! 
They had 3 rate structures...$85 on the water, $75 for one row away from water, and $65 for inside sites. 

Linda, We stayed  at an inside site.  The "water views" are just across a row of RV's and an easy walk.  We spent most of time touring other places so a  view was not a priority for us.
Betty

Huntington Beach State park in SC in beautiful and inexpensive.  It is between Myrtle Beach and Georgetown.  You need reservations because it fills up quick.

I see Arkansas mentioned, earlier in this thread. Denton Ferry RV park, in Cotter, on the White River, below the Bullshoals dam, in the Arkansas Ozarks, is excellent! It is in close proximity of the Blanchard Springs Caverns. By the way, some of the best catfish and hushpuppies you can dream of, is at Fred's Fish House in Mountain Home. That whole area west of Mountain Home, all the way along the Buffalo River and into the Boston Mountains are just beautiful. And do not forget Eureka Springs.

Mariekie

Another option is Grassy Key RV Park on Grassy Key.  It is new, small and well maintained.  Only negative is  some sites are close to the highway with road noise.  It is located at mile marker 58.  One negative at Sunshine Key is it floods during the rainy season.  Learned the hard way when picking a site

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnvista
Back
Top Bottom