Heading to Yellowstone!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

eldcas57

Good morning!

I'm hoping someone can steer me in the right direction (literally).  The DW and I heading to Yellowstone in a couple of weeks from Pa I have looked at several routes out. The one that I would like to take is I-90 into Buffalo, Wy, but my concern is from Buffalo is rte 16 up and over the mntn there into Worland, Wy and then up to Greybull to rte 14 and into Cody where we have Reservations. I have never driven the M/H in the mountains before so I was kinda hoping someone could give me some kind indication as to how hard or easy it would be for me to take my 1999, 35', Rexhall Aerbus, F53, V10 with toad over that rte.  Option #2 is I-80 according to MapQuest. Thanks in advance for any input.

You may not set any speed records going up, and you will have to be careful going down, but you shouldn't really have any trouble. U.S 16 is the easiest of the three possible routes across the Bighorns.

Joel

Thanks Joel

Wasn't planning on making any new records, Just was curious to what others thought about the route and the M/H making it over the mntn.  I still haven't made a decision as of yet, but I will surely let you what I decide.  It's not our first trip in the M/H, but it is our first long trip and we have never traveled further west than PA. Just trying to avoid any problems. again thanks.

We did this trip last year and from I-90 we turned off onto 14 at Ranchester, which is about 15 miles from the Montano border.  We stoped in Cody for two nights boondocking att the Walmart.  A must see is the Buffalo Bill Museum and the rodeo.  14 then takes you on a very scenic view as you enter Yellowstone Fromm the East entrance.  You will be at over 11,000 but I believe 14 is less of a climb.  We were in a 36 foot Itasca Horizon pulling our Honda CRV and had no difficulty.
If you have never been to Yellowstone prepare yourself for a very exciting vacation.  Also don't forget if you have the time:  Badlands Nattional Park (Also at the Visitors center each day you can do a tour of ICBM silos from the Cold War).  Mount Rushmore, Wind Cave, also at the 150 exit in SD is a Petrified Garden.  Also Devils Tower is at exit 183, this angles you up to DT and yu can return via 14 so in actual it doesn't add many miles.
If you go down to Grand Teton NP from the south there a quite a few free spaces along a beautiful river that are free, all they offer are a great place to stay for a couple of nights. Then back down 89 on the left is a pond where you can always see Moose.  And then Jackson Hole is below that but a tourist place.

We did a similar route 3 years ago from Gillette except at Worland, we took 431 to 120 to Cody and into YELL from there. We had a 28-foot gasser pulling a VW. I don't remember any problems. Slow up and careful down.

one of the nicest drives in Wyoming. a nice climb up and going down just gear down and don't ride your brakes just stab the hard to slow back down then foot off them. there is passing lanes so don't worry about that. only a couple of switch backs just before 10 sleep. 100s of rv do it no problem. sit back and enjoy the beautiful scenery 

Thanks to everyone who replied

And no Ten41 we've never been to Yellowstone, believe me we are looking forward to it with anticipation and thanks for the suggested stops, got a month so we're planning on making the most of it.  Hoping to also get up to Glacier (time permitting).  The DW wife is battling the big "C" and this trip is all for her. ... cause you never know.... anyways beaverfever, wendy, ten41, and Joel thank you all for the info and suggestions.  I do believe we will be taking the scenic route and enjoy it.  Happy travels everyone

Don't know if you are towing or not, but be aware that some of the parking is really tight during the summer in Yellowstone National Park.  There is designated RV parking in most places, but it gets taken by cars because of the crowds. 

If you do not have a separate car, I strongly suggest you stay in West Yellowstone and rent a car for a couple of days.  The Grizzly Campground is extremely nice and there is at least one car rental place in town.  You will have a lot easier time driving through Yellowstone and parking with a car than a motorhome. 

Also, I have taken the road from Cody and loved the drive!!  Ditto on the museum in Cody.  There is RV parking there, by the way. 

Another great museum, if you drive through Bozeman, is the Museum of the Rockies.  It has a lot of Jack Horner's dinosaurs and is managed by him.  There is also a history component of the museum and a planetarium.  When you buy a ticket, it is for two days, it is so nice!  And decent parking there, as well. 

Hi Eldcast57!  This is a great trip.  Our western mountains are quite a bit different from those in Pennsylvania.  Whereas you have shorter and steeper grades in many cases, we have longer grades that often are marked as 6 percent, 7 percent, etc.  I recommend getting a copy of the Mountain Directory which has both east and west coast editions.  It's arranged by state and the difficult sections of roads are shown on a map at the front of each state's section.  The descriptions are quite detailed telling you about the steepness, curviness, length, etc.  It's a very useful volume to carry.  By the way around Graybull you probably do NOT want to go on the route 14 ALTERNATE which can be scary.  See a previous discussion on 14A at http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php/topic,83714.  Go to Reply 3 and following.  Right after my entry someone posted a photo of the sign at the top of 14A.

JudyJB

We have reservations for a spot in cody, and we are towing. Our plan is to drive into the park with the car.  The wife is in a wheel-chair. Believe it'd be easier maneuvering around from the car versus a M/H.  ArdraF we will be picking up a copy of the mntn directory and thanks for that.  Honestly didn't know such a thing existed.  And I've been warned already not to try to take the Alt rte 14.  That was the reason for my OP, I was wondering if rte 16 was as scary as 14A. And you're quite right My brother was stationed in Montana and he says our hills here in Pa don't even compare. Thanks and happy travels.

Ten41seven said:
We did this trip last year and from I-90 we turned off onto 14 at Ranchester, which is about 15 miles from the Montano border.  We stoped in Cody for two nights boondocking att the Walmart.  A must see is the Buffalo Bill Museum and the rodeo.  14 then takes you on a very scenic view as you enter Yellowstone Fromm the East entrance.  You will be at over 11,000 but I believe 14 is less of a climb.  We were in a 36 foot Itasca Horizon pulling our Honda CRV and had no difficulty.
If you have never been to Yellowstone prepare yourself for a very exciting vacation.  Also don't forget if you have the time:  Badlands Nattional Park (Also at the Visitors center each day you can do a tour of ICBM silos from the Cold War).  Mount Rushmore, Wind Cave, also at the 150 exit in SD is a Petrified Garden.  Also Devils Tower is at exit 183, this angles you up to DT and yu can return via 14 so in actual it doesn't add many miles.
If you go down to Grand Teton NP from the south there a quite a few free spaces along a beautiful river that are free, all they offer are a great place to stay for a couple of nights. Then back down 89 on the left is a pond where you can always see Moose.  And then Jackson Hole is below that but a tourist place.

I believe your talking about the chief Joseph highway and yes, it is a gorgeous drive.
OP take your toad for a drive to red Lodge over the bear tooth pass. You'll be blown away with the scenery

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fth
Back
Top Bottom