Heartland Pioneer vs. Keystone Laredo

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gonhad

Hi all!! im hoping you lovely folks can help us out.
We are currently looking at two travel trailers:

2017 Heartland Pioneer 34ft with a bunkhouse (1 slide out) - about 20k
2008 Keystone Laredo 33ft with 2 slide outs one being the back bunks. - about 15k

Now, we have the truck to haul either. My personal concern is the follow- im a self-proclaimed "Martha Stewart" and would make renovations to either camper. If i go with the newer mode my concern is that it's so new that the "changes" i make will only depreciate the value exponentially (e.g. taking out the top bunks and the small sitting area in the bunkhouse). The older model i wouldn't feel as bad because, well its older....

Im asking if anyone has any advice to give? is the newer model worth it in the end, or if im just gonna change it anyways, is it better to save some money and go with the older model?

thanks!! (newbie here too!)

First, WELCOME TO THE FORUM!!

All Travel Trailers (TT) are priced very competitively.  When new, the higher the price, the better the quality of the components.  In this case, a USED camper for nearly the same price as a NEW camper, the used one is a much better built and better overall quality camper.  The biggest question is if you have carefully evaluated the TT to verify no water damage and everything works?

Almost all new TT, especially the entry level TT come with MANY factory "oops"  that will need to be fixed.  Some dealers are very bad at fixing things.  Other dealers are much more accommodating.  Plan on quite a bit of warranty work in the first several months.

I would suggest the used unit if it checks out.  You will get a nicer TT with (hopefully) many fewer issues up front.

What is your tow vehicle?  Most, but not all, trucks should be fine.

Hi! thanks!
yeah We had one guy try to sell us a used camper with water damage saying that its just a couple of hundred bucks to fix ... :/ this used one doesn't have any. It has a fiberglass exterior versus the aluminum in the newer one. We will get a 1hr walk through inspection before signing to double check everything works before buying. So far everything was good.

We have a 2010 toyota tundra with a towing package, gives us about 9,000lbs to tow.

1 hour is not enough time for a THOROUGH inspection, only a walk through.

This checklist is from the Library.

http://www.rvforum.net/joomla/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=69:pre-delivery-checklist-for-trailers&catid=15&Itemid=132

Forget about that 9,000# tow.  It is only for advertising.

On the driver door B pillar is a yellow label stating "The total weight of all cargo and passengers shall not exceed XXXX"  This is the actual Payload or CCC for YOUR truck

Add up the tongue wt of the TT (10% of GVWR, NOT dry tongue wt!),  80# for a hitch and the weight of all passengers, pets and cargo to be carried in the truck.  If this is less than CCC, you pass Test 1.

Find the Gross Combined Vehicle Weight Rating (GCWR) for your truck.  Published numbers are fine here, because the actual truck weight is properly included.

Your GCW is    Truck GVWR plus TT  GVWR  minus any remaining CCC from test 1 (weight truck is below GVWR) minus TT tongue wt. (part of both truck and TT GVWR)
If your GCW is below GCWR, you passed the test and are good to go camping!!!!

Your truck's weight-pulling capacity is only one aspect of towing as mentioned.  A travel trailer over 30+ is like a giant sail on a windy day, and has the potential to blow your 1/2-ton Tundra all over the highway.  Besides, anything in the 33-34' range (as you mentioned) is likely going to be at/over your towing capacity once the truck & trailer are both loaded up for camping.  You will have a much more enjoyable towing experience with either a smaller trailer, or a larger (3/4-ton) truck.

Also, there is NO reason that you should have to pay $15k for a 2008 travel trailer.  I paid $8500 cash for mine from a private owner last year, on our 32' Forest River that is very good overall shape.  It was originally listed for $11k asking price, dropped to $10k, and I inspected and negotiated my purchase price.  Start looking up prices on NADAguides.com for used trailers you run across (do not add in Options on used units) to get an idea of the values.  NADA is not hard-and-fast but will give you some good ballpark ideas on price.

Keep researching (Craigslist is your friend!) all around your area and a little beyond, and you'll find a good combination of quality and value in a trailer that fits your needs.  :)  I drove about 2 hours (110 miles) to inspect and pick up our trailer.  Our first motorhome my wife and I drove across 4 states (central Illinois to upstate NY) for it!

Back
Top Bottom