Heater core control valve...Is it necessary?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bigbob70

I figured I had my heat problem solved after I flushed the heater core..It worked fine afterwards. Today I gave it a try and to my surprise, no hot air..

I thought I'd try flushing the heater core again but when I put the water hose in one of the heater hoses nothing came out the other hose....(It flushed easy yesterday but not today)

Came to find out that somehow the water pressure was held up at the heater control valve so I removed  and bypassed it..Now the heater appears to be working fine again...

Through a little research I found out that some vehicles have that control valve while others don't..

My question...Is it ok to leave that valve out of the heater system...

Thanks in advance

You should leave the heater valve in place. It will get very hot driving down the road in summer plus no heat for the defroster, your choice.

If you always drive in cold weather and never ever use the AC, you could do without it. Otherwise, does not make sense to remove it.

There are two basic types of heater control valves, manual (cable) operated and vacuum. In the typical motorhome there are not any extreme size and shape limitations so a "universal" valve with the proper operation style can be obtained at most any good parts store. I'd take my old one in and match it as closely as I could using either the parts house guys knowledge or the buyers guide for the brand of valves they carry.

Ken

Those heater valves don't cost very much. Take it off and take it to O'Reillys, they can match it up. I've had very good luck with them on my P30 chassis.

Some people put plain old water line valves in the heater hose and simply close it during the summer and open it up again when the weather turns cold. Could be a pain if not easy to reach, though. Or the temperatures are variable, e.g. spring and fall.

Gary RV Roamer said:
Some people put plain old water line valves in the heater hose and simply close it during the summer and open it up again when the weather turns cold. Could be a pain if not easy to reach, though. Or the temperatures are variable, e.g. spring and fall.

I'll give it one more try using a new control valve...

If I can't get it to work then I'll install an inline manual shutoff valve and let it go at that..

I'm tired of messing with it...

Thanks everyone for your advise...

bigbob70 said:
I'll give it one more try using a new control valve...

If I can't get it to work then I'll install an inline manual shutoff valve and let it go at that..

I'm tired of messing with it...

Thanks everyone for your advise...
Do you have vacuum on the line when you turn the temp to hot? My Challenger had a broken line right by the vacuum canister. I'd check to be sure you have vacuum before buying a new valve.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TessInBandon
Back
Top Bottom