Heater / Evaporator Box Replacement?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ZagRacing

Hey Folks,

Over the summer we developed a coolant leak from our heater core.
Finally got around to working on getting it out today and wouldn't you know it, the plastic box that covers the assembly is cracking and falling apart.
I'm afraid there is no way to save it so I am going to have to track down a replacement.

First of all, I am not sure what these boxes are referred to as in the RV community. That would make it a lot easier to search for a replacement box / assembly.
And if anyone knows where to look for these things it would be greatly appreciated.

I am going to pull the entire assembly out but discovered that the AC lines need to be disconnected too (at least I think so?)

I took a pic of the box for reference so if anyone has any ideas, it would be appreciated.
And Happy Thanksgiving!

These are fairly standard automotive a/c units and the component names are the same. The typical RV of your vintage will have a/c components from Evans Tempcon. More recently, many will have Denso a/c components instead of Evans, but most RV makers were using Evans Tempcon back on the 90's.

Gary RV Roamer said:
These are fairly standard automotive a/c units and the component names are the same. The typical RV of your vintage will have a/c components from Evans Tempcon. More recently, many will have Denso a/c components instead of Evans, but most RV makers were using Evans Tempcon back on the 90's.

Thanks Gary,

I did a bit of research and yes, the Evans Tempcon comes up as the most likely unit.
What is distressing is the asking price for a replacement unit. These things are selling for between 800-1200 dollars!
That's a pretty outrageous asking price for what is contained in these boxes. A piece of formed plastic with two small radiator assemblies and a couple of switches.

If I were to track the internals down we are talking about 400-500 in parts. That means these people want 300-800 dollars for a plastic box? Highway robbery for sure.
I only needed to replace the heater core anyway and I can find those for under 200.00. If I have to I will build my own box from sheet metal and then I will never have that problem again....lol

Thanks for your help, I will continue to look around.

Bernie

Ok,

For those that may find themselves in the same position as I am, I found a good resource and he will split the parts up.

The plastic cowl, cover is a recreation of the original one on our rigs and he will sell you that for 225.00. Still a bit much in my opinion but a sure deal compared to what I have been finding.
The heater core to go with it is 185.00 which is on par with prices that I have seen anywhere.

So you are looking at a little under 450.00 to make that repair.
That's a lot less than the 850 and 1200 dollar amounts even when you include the AC evaporator.

www.myacparts.com

His name is Richard and you will get a prompt reply.

Problem solved :)

The problem is that the parts would be as old as the ones I am pulling out.

The cost to replace these parts with new is pretty fair I think.
I don't need to get the cost down to nothing, just wanted to find pricing that was reasonable and I didn't feel like I was being taken advantage of

Bernie

Back
Top Bottom