Heating Element/Thermostat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aztecaa

I have a 2008 Jayco G2 Jay F;ight Travel Trailer that has been in storage for sometime. I noticed the Electric water heater part of it does NOT get hot enough. We don't even use the cold water when taking showers. Would you say it is the thermostat that is faulty or bad connection. If so, where is the thermostat for the Electric Element LOCATED? The Heating Element is located inside from the back side of the water heater tank. I can get to it from inside behind a door.
Thanks

I?m not familiar with the Jayco so you will have to say what type of water heater you have and if the breaker is ok. The Atwood heaters for instance have a safety switch that shuts off in the back if someone leaves the electric heater on when there is no water. This could be tripped or you could have a bad element. The stat is fixed (non-adjustable) in most cases but is built into the element and safety switch so everything gets changed if it is bad. When you first turn it on you should see about 8-10 amp draw on your EMS panel or amp meter to get an idea of whether it is working. Is so, it will heat the water to around 130 degrees, far hotter than what you describe. You will obviously need a VOM to start checking voltage etc.
Is this a combo electric/gas unit? Does it work in the gas mode?
You need to list what the model is on the water heater and then we can get to more details. Welcome to the forum also.

Atwood Electric/gas. Yes the gas part works but same thing with the temp not going above 80 degrees.

I doubt if your problem is the thermostat, though it can't be ruled out with what you've told us so far. The most common cause of this issue is an open valve between hot & cold water lines. The heater bypass (winterizing) valve(s) is one likely source of the problem; the other is the valves for the shower (inside or outside). If the shower hot & cold valves are on but the water flow turned off at the shower head, the cold water will cross-flow with the hot and cool the entire hot water system.

For a quick check on the thermostat, feel the metal Pressure/Temperature Relief valve on the outside of the tank. If it is hot to the touch (be careful!), odds are the thermostat is working fine. In your year of RV, it is probably heating to 140 degrees (much older models had 120 degree t-stats).

Gary RV Roamer said:
I doubt if your problem is the thermostat, though it can't be ruled out with what you've told us so far. The most common cause of this issue is an open valve between hot & cold water lines. The heater bypass (winterizing) valve(s) is one likely source of the problem; the other is the valves for the shower (inside or outside). If the shower hot & cold valves are on but the water flow turned off at the shower head, the cold water will cross-flow with the hot and cool the entire hot water system.

For a quick check on the thermostat, feel the metal Pressure/Temperature Relief valve on the outside of the tank. If it is hot to the touch (be careful!), odds are the thermostat is working fine. In your year of RV, it is probably heating to 140 degrees (much older models had 120 degree t-stats).
And the grand prize goes to Gary. The cross flow valve was open and it was mixing. I closed it and my wife could not stop jumping for joy. Thanks for all the help from all.
Happy Camper!!! :)

Back
Top Bottom