Heating my Class A during winter in Michigan?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

localnet

I need help from the old hands here!

I have the 35' 07 Pace Arrow, right now it is plugged in to my garage on a 50 amp circuit.

I have the heat running in it right now, on the electric side, set at 60 degrees. Both AC units are running right now, but I don't think this is a good idea to do all winter.

So, what would you all recommend?

Floor heaters, ceramic type?

We are planning on taking off in a few weeks and going south for 2-3 weeks. So, we will be right back in time for the coldest time of the year up here in Michigan, Detroit area.

Any help you all can offer would be greatly appreciated to this newbie.

Mike

Your heat pumps won't work below 35-40 degrees anyway, so you need some other form of heat.  50 degrees on the thermostat should be plenty.  You also need to protect the exposed water fittings, e.g. the water & sewer connections, ice maker valve if you have one - it's on the outer side of the fridge behind the exterior vents, and maybe the water heater (it is close to the exterior wall and may not get much heat from inside).  Possibly easier (and less expensive) to drain the water system than to rely on keeping everything above freezing in Detroit's climate.

Gary,

I drained fresh/gray/black water system and added RV anti-freeze, shut off the ice maker valve etc.

But we still have all of the condiments and such in the coach. Want to keep her warm etc.

Mike

I keep all of my spices and condiments in a small plastic basket, when we get set up for camping I set it out on the table and everything is at hand. I do the same thing with liquid cleaning products. When we need to winterize it is a simple matter to take both small baskets indoors.
As cold as it gets in Detroit you will also need to move canned goods indoors too but unless you will be using it again within a few weeks it will be much simpler and cheaper to winterize until you need it again than try to keep it heated.

Woody

What we use to do is to place a trouble light in the bay to keep the tanks warm.  We used 1 ceramic disc heater  in the center of the rig.  Leave all the shades up, as the sun will help heat the rig during the day, and help with the condensation.  Watch your propane.  Depending on how cold it is, the furnace really only needs to run the coldest part of the night.  We set ours at 50. Stuff the vents with pillows, to help keep the heat in.  Leave the snow on the roof until it builds up to more than 4 or 5 inches.  Or until you get a lot of melt and refreeze.  The snow will act like an insulator, and help keep the heat in.  Lower the temp in the fridge.  We used the system when we had to wait until Dec 1st before we could leave.  The water tank was full, as well as the fridge and pantry.  And didn't use pink stuff.  We never froze.  Or you can spend $600 a month down at Harbor Town.  Cable and phone included.  (LOL)

Barb

Barb said:
Stuff the vents with pillows, to help keep the heat in.

Just for clarification (at the risk of sounding foolish)...  you are talking about the roof vents leading to the outside, NOT the furnace vents in the floor - right?  :eek:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dhoehn02
Back
Top Bottom