Hello From Tenn/GA NEED HELP

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

scoutsout132

Hello my name is Mark, I have a 2007 Ford Explorer V6 4X4 4dr. What would be the best camper to pull behind it. It will be my wife, two kids (ages 6 mouths and 2 years) and myself going camping. I would really like to not have a popup. I have been camping a lot, but this will be my first camper i buy.
                                                                                                                                          Thanks for the help
                                                                                                                                                    Mark

Well, I'm no expert by any standard. But have you thought about a slide in, or maybe a lightwieght 5th wheel. With a V-6, I'm not sure I'd go to large or heavy. I think 5th wheels are the safest trailers to pull, and easiest to back up. Good luck.
Milt

Hi Mark and welcome to RV Forum.

Ford rates your car to tow 3500 lbs if it is the 4.0L V6 with 3.55 rear axle or 5200 lbs for the SEFI V6 with 3.73 axle. You need to subtract the weight of the wife and kids from that, as well as the "stuff" you pack into the car, so figure at least 500 lbs less than that.  If you need to stay under 3000 lbs, a pop-up is the only answer. Don't be discouraged - there are some nicely equipped ones, e.g. the Fleetwood Santa Fe.

If you have the SEFI Explorer, you can consider a hard sided, folding trailer such as the Trailmanor

You can't tow a fifth wheel or use a slide-in - those require an open bed truck rather than an SUV.

Welcome to the RV Forum and thanks for joining us.  Please look around, ask questions, check out the library, and join in on any of the on going discussions.

I agree with RV roamer a pop up is a great starting point. It is a more work but we had a lot fun with ours. It was easy to tow. We used a Jeep Grand Cherokee. It hardly changed our fuel economy. My son wishes we still had our pup

Yea my dad has a fifth wheel that he pulls behind his f350 and it is nice i would love a fifth wheel i have hauled it befor with his truck and could not even tell it was there, but it is useless to get a truck being between deployments. We had a slidein growing up. I will have to see which v6 we have and go from there. Thanks for all the help

Back
Top Bottom