Hello Newbie Here

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Anewjrny

Hello everyone, I am currently in the market for a travel trailer. My 17 year old son and I would like to take a 49 state trip. I have a Chevy Silverado 1/2 ton crew cab 4.8 V8. I am looking online about a trip and learning about state laws in other states, I currently live in California. I am getting overwhelmed and don't want to be lol. I know that once we find the trailer and get going it will be fine. I guess I'm looking for anyone who has done this trip and any information would be greatly appreciated. We also have 2 small dogs that will be with us.
I am so looking forward to this experience as is he, actually this was his idea.

Thank you in advance for any responses!

Your first step is to determine the tow and payload capacity of that half ton. It is probably not as capable as you imagine, but it will likely pull a modest sized trailer OK. Look it up in the Trailer Life Towing Guides:
http://www.trailerlife.com/trailer-towing-guides/

You won't need to know much about other states laws except to obey their posted "rules of the road", e.g. speed limits, weight restrictions, etc.

Welcome to the site!
It's really great that you are getting to do a trip with your son. Make sure you have enough storage on your cameras! :) That's a fantastic way to create memories.
As far as your decision on the trailer, I recommend weighing your truck so you know for sure what your limits are. There should be the infamous yellow sticker on the pillar when you open the driver's door. That should state the payload as it left the factory. When looking at trailers, look at the GVWR not the unloaded weight. There are a lot of salesmen that will flat out like to you about what your truck will tow. The published tongue weight on trailers is almost useless too. Your tongue weight should be a minimum of 10 %of the loaded trailer's weight, with 12 to 15% being better. We generally figure tongue weight from the GVWR of the trailer.

Thank you for you're responses. I have decided to upgrade my truck. I'm selling the half ton and a friend has a 2004 GMC 4x4 HD Turbo diesel. So my options have opened up lol. I apologize for not responding sooner I am trying to figuRe out this site lol. I will try to do better lol. I will be looking for more info as time goes on. So for right now I need to sell my truck and find a travel trailer.

That new truck will have maximum capacities too just as your present one has. Figure them out BEFORE you go trailer shopping as you be unlikely to get accurate information from truck and trailer salesmen. Happy shopping!!

I will be purchasing used from private party. I hahave little money. I do not plan on going to max on any trailer. My thoughts are somewhere between 24 to 28ft  and I am loozing to stay in the 6000 weight. I have been told that this will work. Does this sound about right?

Back
Top Bottom