Hello, Newbie here!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RV_Brad

I am looking at purchasing a bumper pull trailer and just not 100% sure on whether my truck is capable of towing it. It is all a little overwhelming at first. Here is what I have for the truck and the trailer I am looking at. Any thoughts or suggestion would be great! Thanks in advance!!!

2014 SuperCrew F150 4x4:
GVWR: 7350 lbs.
GCVWR: 13500 lbs.
Curb Weight: 5716 lbs.
Payload: 1570 lbs.
Hitch: 5000 lbs. max., 11300 lbs. w/ weight distribution system
Towing Max Trailer load: 7500 lbs.
Gear Ration: 3.55
Engine: 5.0L
Wheel Base: 157"

2011 KZ Spree 318BHS Trailer (bumper pull):
GVWR: 7300 lbs.
Dry: 5830 lbs.
Husky Center line towing system

In my opinion, that's too much trailer for your truck.  Gear ratio: 3.55, not best for larger trailer.  I find it hard to believe that your
hitch is good for 5000#, then 11k with WDH.  Might double check that.  I hope I'm wrong, but on the surface with what you typed, that's a lot of trailer for a F150.  Hopefully others with more knowledge will chime in

That is what I was thinking, as well. Seems like a big trailer for the truck, but wasn't  100% certain. The sticker on the hitch states tongue weight of 500 lbs and 1130 lbs with a weight distributing system.

I agree that's too much trailer for your truck.
With a 5.0L engine it will struggle going up big hills or mountains.

Stopping with something that is near max weight could be a problem too.
So even if you could tow it - it might not be able to stop in time.

For the most part there is no such thing as too much truck - unfortunately a F150 doesn't fit that description.

Keep in mind that you need to always look at the GVWR of the trailer and NEVER dry weight as no one travels with nothing on board,
however most people are closer to max weight if not a little over it. 

I live in Oklahoma so not many mountains or large hills. Thanks for the advice!

I really do appreciate the advice. I have researched a lot and the whole weight thing has confused me, so I do appreciate the help.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KEC
Back
Top Bottom