Hello - recent owner of a 1985 Winnebago Elandan

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

littlegto

Hello,

I purchased a 1985 Winnebago Elandan almost 2 years ago, but I consider myself a recent owner because unfortunately I have not been able to utilize it yet.  It's a pretty solid rig but I had to replace tires, alternator, starter, and fuel pump before I could get to use it. During all of those issues we discovered some other issues that need to be addressed before camping. I am fortunate that my employer has the ability to work on this rig for just the cost of parts but currently I am stuck trying to find some parts. Any help is very appreciated.

I replaced the alternator but apparently the pulley is bad and squeals. Shocks, emergency brakes. I think that's it for now. I would like to find an ongoing resource for future needs as well.

Thanks

Welcome!!!

It is not usually the pulley that squeals unless it is turning on the shaft but it is most likely the belt slipping. Take it to a good auto parts store where they can measure it and find you a new, better fitting, one.

Don't forget you are dealing with a 32 year old machine, parts will be difficult to find in any case. Things to know in your search will be the chassis maker, the year of the chassis (from the VIN, it could be a year or two older than the RV itself), the engine size and manufacturer. Scrap yards will become your friends!!!

Thanks Sloop and Alfa38User. I will have the mechanic check the alternator issue again to see if it is the belt. I work at a university that is a business college and automotive college. I am fortunate to have the instructors and students work on my vehicles when they can and one of the instructors is helping me fix a lot of these issues. I am a computer geek who pretends to be a mechanic once in a while.

Just warn them that the motorhome chassis is NOT identical to the van or pick-up chassis, even though some of the components will be the same or at least similar. Any part needed should be verified.

Gary is right.  When I replaced my power steering pump on my Ford gas powered engine it required a pump that was made for a diesel engine.  That's why the pictures are a nice thing to have when shopping for parts.  ;)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RES1749
Back
Top Bottom