Hello to all. 1st RV...78 Dodge Swinger

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hogbygardd

Have just put finishing touches on a complete renovation on a 78 Dodge Swinger Limited Edition 1. Anything remotely suspicious has been replaced and the original saved as a future emergency spare. Everything was original and found the original owners packet in in a drawer (unopened!). Has just passed the California smog check !! We are planning our first major trip to Mulege, Baja at the end of Feb. It would be interesting to find other Swinger owners to exchange ideas with.

Welcome to our forum hogbygardd, and congrats on the new rebuild.  How about some photos?  We would love to see what you have done.

Will do, cosmetic touches in the works then pics will be taken.......

Hi. I just joined, and have a 1973 Dodge Executive, at a little less than 20 feet long.  All systems seem go, even the fridge, and I just put a solar kit in and two new batteries. I am living in Albuquerque, and have been out just about every weekend.  I really love this little thing. I could use some help with dry land camping in the area. Glad to be aboard!  Gary

Hello, We just took a trail weekend run and pushed it hard. Took the Tehachapi to Mojave over to Walkers Pass and down to Isabella into the central Valley . The 4000-5000ft climbs were taken flooring it and we experienced strong headwinds around Redrock Canyon (lost our Generator door to them !) I had my foot in it the whole weekend and wanted to break what would break!!! We got 7.6 mpg and only found out the ax, battery is junk and the generator has a broken heat shield clamp (3am and a ugly loud rattle) other than that a very strong healthy rebuild and ready to go anywhere....Outside cosmectics are next and the roofrack/ladder configuration to be finished soon... Pic in the photo gallery i hope!

Pic is in  the User Gallery in photos

Admin edit: Attached photos to this message.

Attachments

• normal_IMGP4023.JPG
    normal_IMGP4023.JPG
    41.4 KB · Views: 21
  • normal_IMGP4036-2.JPG
    normal_IMGP4036-2.JPG
    45.2 KB · Views: 17
  • normal_IMGP4037.JPG
    normal_IMGP4037.JPG
    37.4 KB · Views: 18
That is a really sweet looking unit. Congrats! I really like the first photo, nice composition.

Gary,

There aren't too many places to dry camp (boondock) in the Albq area.  If you can roam further afield, the NM State Parks pass is a good deal.  For $100-$225 depending on your situation, you have unlimited camping for a year.  Hard to beat that!

I boondock a lot, mostly in the National Forests and on Bureau of Land Management land.  You can get a "Benchmark" New Mexico atlas for about $20.  It shows who owns what land by color coding.  Its not greatly detailed, but you will get an idea of what is where.

You can also learn a lot in the "Boondocking locations" yahoo group, http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/boondockinglocations/post?act=reply&messageNum=4476.

I'll be in Albq next week for a VA appt.  We could meet for coffee and have a mini-rally! Anyone else in Albq???

Back
Top Bottom