Help Finding a different trailer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nomadb1

After using our 'starter trailer' for a couple years we now have a better Idea of what we NEED in a mobile abode.  We would like to find a model with a U-Dinette, dual bunkbeds (x4Beds), and a full time Queen bed.  I would prefer an 4-10 year old model so as not to eat the depreciation. Ideally not over 7500lbs.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Brian

Rockwood makes a pretty decent one with a front queen Murphy bed.  A lot of room with a small U shaped dinette slide.  It's not the best time to be looking for a used trailer, all the RV places are doing or getting ready for shows, and any private person is waiting until spring.

Right now I'm mainly trying to get model number suggestions so I can troll CL/facebook and all the other haunts more effectively.  I've been spending a lot of time looking at a a go-zillion 'not it's' so I was hoping to 'crowd source' some research data. (Boy I'm learning a lot of techie terms lately)

Nomadb1 said:
Right now I'm mainly trying to get model number suggestions so I can troll CL/facebook and all the other haunts more effectively.  I've been spending a lot of time looking at a a go-zillion 'not it's' so I was hoping to 'crowd source' some research data. (Boy I'm learning a lot of techie terms lately)

Maybe go to a RV show, window shop.  Lots of sales people that know model#s to browse. 

I love the PPL web site.  They are all used consignment units and the page that shows the listings also has floor plans with each listing.  You get a quick view without going to the specific page.

I also like RVTrader because you can sort for bunkhouse and under 7500 lbs

I am sure what you want is out there.  I just can not give you a model number.

Get out and look - take the kids let them run around an Rv dealership and look. Nobody here can pick for you, nobody here has your budget, your taste, your colours, etc etc. RVs are like burgers - everyone likes something different. I loved taking the kids shopping for RVS  they often looked at things i didnt notice and therefore they educated me as well.

Just remember that Yukon is going to be the weakest link with its Cargo and Tow Capacity

steveblonde said:
Just remember that Yukon is going to be the weakest link with its Cargo and Tow Capacity

Very true.  I have a 2005 Yukon XL, tow package etc, well maintained, my Trailer gross weight is around 6000#, I would not like to do much more with it.  It's mostly just 2 of us anymore.  Add kids, junk, refreshments in the Yukon, it will not play nicely if you approach 7000#.  I know it says 8100#, just speaking from my experience.  Don't let any RV salesperson feed you any other story, they are notorious for their unethical behaviors.

You are all missing the boat in your replies. They are looking for models that have two sets of bunks (4 beds), a U shaped dinette, and also a queen bed. Personally, I have never seen one with two sets of bunkbeds. He's hoping one of y'all may have and can give him the make and model number.

:))  I missed the 4 bed part.  That's basically the whole backend, you need a spot for a bathroom. 

This appears to meet all but one of your requirements.  It is a FW.  It DOES have double bunks and queen bed.

https://www.pplmotorhomes.com/used-rvs-for-sale/fifth-wheel/2013-keystone-montana-high-country_rv-42826

Here is a TT with double bunks 

https://www.pplmotorhomes.com/used-rvs-for-sale/travel-trailer/2015-forest-river-rockwood-ultra-lite_rv-42888

Here is one with double bunks and NO dinette, so you could add your u shaped dinette.

https://www.pplmotorhomes.com/used-rvs-for-sale/travel-trailer/2014-keystone-cougar-x-lite_rv-43350

Thanks for the tips and leads. Hoping to find ?the one? for a Yellowstone trip this summer.

I made quite a few mods to the Yukon so it can get a bit closer to its max tow without sweating but I know it has it?s limits. Thought about going to a PU but need room for valuables including peace of mind that comes with space between siblings??

You are on the right track!  Keep looking.  Also, a PU with a cap provides room for valuable storage, and crew cabs have more back seat space than most sedans!

Nomadb1 said:

Based on your standards, you'd be okay if you don't exceed the GVWR... but obviously that doesn't change the length. A 28' trailer is probably 31' with the tongue, and that 28' box will pick up a lot of wind while driving. I have an older version of the same SUV you have (1995 Chevy Suburban) but mine is a 3/4 ton with the biggest engine and gearing combo that was available at the time. 10k# towing capacity. If you can find the same generation Yukon XL you have, but the 2500 series with the 8.1L engine, it is rated for 12k# towing! So a change in tow vehicle (without changing to a pickup) is something to consider too, to get the trailer you want with room to spare on towing capacity.

And as far as year/make/model goes with the features you want, my 2008 trailer has almost everything you mentioned... quad bunks (unique L-shaped setup in the rear bunkhouse which we LOVE) and full queen bedroom at the other end of the trailer from where the kids sleep. ;) Plus actual bedroom/bathroom interior doors that close! None of that curtain stuff, haha. In other words you can potentially find what you want in a 10yo trailer and save even more money. Obviously those features come with extra length and weight (mine is 32' box, 35' total and over 9000# fully loaded) which takes me back to the tow vehicle consideration for you.

You are not going to find what the OP is looking for that is shorter or lighter than that Shadow Crusier. A coworker has an '05 2500 Surburban 8.1L and grins every time he gets in it. It took him a year of searching Craigslist and trucktrader, etc to find it. He found one that was extremely nice and the dealer sent him a 100 pics of it inisde and out, than an hour later called and told him somone walked in off the street and bought it right away. There is no gas tow vehicle that can surpass that 8.1L. If you want newer, you will need a diesel.

The Shadow Cruiser S-280QBS linked to above is 32 ft 0 in length according to the brochure https://www.rvroundtable.com/wp-content/uploads/cruiserrv/2013-ShadowCruiser.pdf The LH lower bunk converts to a mini Dinette. Advertised one looks pristine, if they are recent pics, it probably is stored indoors.

Charles

Nomadb1 said:
After using our 'starter trailer' for a couple years we now have a better Idea of what we NEED in a mobile abode.  We would like to find a model with a U-Dinette, dual bunkbeds (x4Beds), and a full time Queen bed.  I would prefer an 4-10 year old model so as not to eat the depreciation. Ideally not over 7500lbs.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Brian

Have you looked at KZ Sportsmen travel trailers, specifically the 180RBT model? It has 3 54"x74" beds and dinette. Not a u shaped one. Weighs 3250 pounds. This has tent style bunks. Are you open to that option (fold out tents), or do you want 100% hard sided?
https://www.kz-rv.com/products/sportsmen-classic-travel-trailers/floorplans.htm

KZ also has the Connect series with double bunks and u shaped dinettes. They are a little heavier.
https://www.kz-rv.com/products/connect-se-travel-trailers/floorplans.html

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fth
Back
Top Bottom