Help! I think I have Mice!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

alittle121

Can anyone tell me how to prevent mice in my A-Frame? I was doing a winter inspection last night and found droppings and chewed up cardboard and other things in the cabinetry. I took a look at the undercarriage and it looks to have some damage as well. This is my baby and I just bought it! A friend told me about www.mouse-free.com. Has anyone tried this company? Someone Help!!

-Aaron :(

Yes, that product is not intended for once mice get in the MH, but prevention only.  It's also very expensive at $200+ to treat it yourself, and you have to repeat it every year.  This product sounds as if they were in there, this would prevent them from leaving. 

This item is safe and it's supposed to make them leave and is only $15 for 4 bags. 
http://www.dreamingearth.com/catalog/pc/Mouse-Away-Solids-4-Pack-23p358.htm

I got a similar product at Walmart for less that I use in the MH and so far have not had any mice.  The ones I have smell much better than Moth Balls which I've used in the past.

The problem with poisons, is when they die you have to track the smell down, so traps would be a better choice inside.  Use a small piece of Banana with a little peanut butter, if you want to trap them.

Sure you'll get.. and can find hundreds of suggestion on keeping rodents out.. Some may feel I go overboard but I'm thinking for a few bucks a year ($10?) why not ... I use bars of Irish spring soap cut into 1/4 spread around inside coach and also small sponges that have "oil of peppermint" on them and some glue traps at some corners inside for added measure.. More the better.... I also have "Fabric Softener" sheets in every drawer and cupboard and closet ....
.In the lower compartments, I use the glue-traps that fold like a small tent in the corners of the compartments .. Water Bay also has a couple baited spring traps.
On the outside, I use a couple of the baited live traps by the rear wheels .. and usually have one of the "Ultimate Mouse Traps" also in the area..... As I'm in the country, I frequently catch several on outside, 2 or 3  a year in compartments, and caught 1 a couple years ago inside the coach.... 

I used go down to the feed store and buy Victor brand el raton pizzen in the edible bags. Buck or two a bag. Will kill them graveyard dead shortly. Just stick a few bags here and there. Dont even have to open the bag. They will find it. Its blood thinners Warfarrin/Coumaden used for its intended purpose for killing rats..as some of the old codgers take daily for other issues. Fortunately we now have the grand prize winning mousing ratter cat in the world. He brings one back near each day..if there is some. He aint brought none back here lately. Notice the squirrels and birds seem to have moved out too. That is one fine Putty Tat. He will also bring back any cockroaches and Geickos in the general vicinity. Hes a killing machine. Get a good cat or dont put out any poison. He dont seem inclined to eat what he catches but its good to be on the safe side. Let us know what you decide. Thanks.

Personally I don't like using anything that will bait a rodent into the RV or structure. Because once they build they trails in and out they continue to travel in and out and other rodents follow the same scent trail. So now say that...

I'll do everything in my powers to make there stay uncomfortable. I've got two Ultrasonic boxes that are human audible and very loud. I set them up and turn them on LOUD. Then I'll go hunting for there entrance holes and fill them with steel wool or other materials. Like my RV has been without any protection now foe over 3 months and no longer have any mice issues being I found and plugged the entrance holes.

But here is what I use.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nb4LYwUdNxs

Forgot to mention that I also have 2 of the "ultra sound " rodent preventer things plugged into sockets in MH and they stay on all the time but humans cannot hear them....added them 2 years ago after I found the one mouse body inside MH....
Certainly not like Mopars....just listening to his video for 15 seconds cleared out my neighborhood of all living creatures....

Mike is on the right track concerning the entrance point on where the little buggers are getting in.  They are looking for a warmer place to nest.  If you want to investigate, use flour dusted on the floor around where you might think might be an entrance point.  Look for little mouse footy prints in a couple days.  Find that entrance point and seal it off. 
Get all edibles out of the A-frame.  Any food source is a magnet for them.  Mice will be less likely to nest where there is no food source. 

As far as getting the ones that are already inside, or know the way in (until you find and plug the hole), the jury is still out on that one.  Search the forum.  Many ideas and threads, depending on your humanity level, to get rid of the pesky rodents that already know where the "Bed and Breakfast" is.  After that, it's just a maintenance issue to keep them out.

My TT is permanently parked in the woods.  No 120 volt for electronics.  Battery or genny for power only if I'm there.  Otherwise, the TT is dead.  Lots of field mice.  I do the same routine every year for winterization.  Only had an issue one year (out of 18 years).  Figure out where they are getting in, seal it, maintain it for the Winter, and you should be fine from that point.

WhiteEagle said:
Forgot to mention that I also have 2 of the "ultra sound " rodent preventer things plugged into sockets in MH and they stay on all the time but humans cannot hear them....added them 2 years ago after I found the one mouse body inside MH....
Certainly not like Mopars....just listening to his video for 15 seconds cleared out my neighborhood of all living creatures....

There is a way to test your ultrasonic boxes I found out. Take a portable AM/FM radio switch over to FM and place the radio very close to box now tune the frequency and you should hear the sounds of the box on different frequencies. I guess I'll have to do a video on this to show people how it works.

Hadn't thought of testing these little "ultra sonic sound" things by use of portable AM/FM - have them in garage and storage shed also .. just presumed they were working because I haven't had nearly as much activity since using them.... but nice to learn they can be checked.. Thanks..

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Katjarner
Back
Top Bottom