Help, My rig is all over the road!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stevenhmiller

I have an '89 Holiday Rambler Crown Imperial. I bought it about 2 weeks ago. I don't know why, but I'm all over the road when I drive this thing.  :-[
I have new tires all around, so not that. I have front bags inflated to 90lbs, and there are steering stabilizers on the front as well.
I haven't checked the back to see if I have anything back there.

Anyone have some ideas of what I can check, and how to check?

Thanks!
Steve

Couple things to check...

Tire pressure!

Visual on your shocks - make sure one hasn't broken, or otherwise gotten detached from a mount.

I have an 88 Holiday Rambler Alumalite on a P30, I think 90 Lbs is high on the front bags unless you're fully loaded, I run mine around 50 lbs and your coach is a little bigger so mayby 60-65 again unless your loaded.  Front shocks and and alignment helped mine and in the process I found I needed ball joints and lower A arm bushings and did the uppers while I was there.  Then I was able to have it aligned.  Mine has 74K on it and I don't think it was mileage as much as age on the rubber bushings.  Look at the sway bar bushings, really all the rubber up front, if it's sloppy up there it's gonna feel sloppy driving it.  I still have to do mine sway bars and expect more improvement as I go and keep replacing the rest of the bushings and shocks.

Good luck

I'll check all this on Saturday, weather permitting. The guy I bought the rig from told me to run 90lbs pressure in the front bags. To me, that sounds high since the max is 90lbs. So, I run it at 85. When I originally brought it home, I noticed it seemed to bottom out a little on some bumps. I checked the pressure and it was sitting at 60lbs. The rig was empty.

The pressure need in the front bags depends on the front axle rating. 90 psi is indeed high and I would think 65-75 ought to be plenty. 90 will give a harsh ride.  Did the bags lose pressure quickly? Both bags or just one side? Unequal air bag inflation will make a mess of the steering and handling.

A part of the problem may be YOU. It takes a while to get your self re-oriented for a larger vehicle. Look further down the road, so you are driving towards a point in the distance. This will straighten out your steering. Focusing  as you would in a car won't work because of the high steering position and the different perspective. And if oyu are constantly worrying about where you are with respect to the white lines, and looking in the mirrors 50% of the time, you will indeed be "all over the road".  It is a common problem during the adjustment period.

RV Roamer said:
The pressure need in the front bags depends on the front axle rating. 90 psi is indeed high and I would think 65-75 ought to be plenty. 90 will give a harsh ride.  Did the bags lose pressure quickly? Both bags or just one side? Unequal air bag inflation will make a mess of the steering and handling.

A part of the problem may be YOU. It takes a while to get your self re-oriented for a larger vehicle. Look further down the road, so you are driving towards a point in the distance. This will straighten out your steering. Focusing  as you would in a car won't work because of the high steering position and the different perspective. And if oyu are constantly worrying about where you are with respect to the white lines, and looking in the mirrors 50% of the time, you will indeed be "all over the road".  It is a common problem during the adjustment period.

I have no doubt that I'm part of the problem (where have I heard that...hmmm, the wife perhaps? ;D ) I'm learning, but I think there is more to it than me. I'm going to drop the pressure in the bags and check the other things mentioned.

Gary probably nailed it as usual. You didn't mention what chassis or length but if you have a long coach, short wheelbase with a tag it will feel like its wandering all over. 
  Try taking you left foot and imagining you are putting it on the center line.......leave it there and don't worry about whats behind you. Whatever is behind you will always be behind you..........when it starts to pass you it's time to start worrying.
  If you have worn steering components and the front end wanders but the steering wheel never moves thats another issue.

35' with a tag. I think it's called a p-30?
It feels like the front is wandering more than anything. I'm going to check the front end components this weekend, weather permitting.

With new tires under it I would not hesitate to take it to a good alignment shop and have the alignment checked and corrected.  Money well spent.

shocks made a big difference for me..........on my bounder [51000 miles]................if you think you need them be sure to specify that they are for a motorhome.........i think they might be a little softer ride than normal p30 truck shocks....

stevenhmiller said:
I have an '89 Holiday Rambler Crown Imperial. I bought it about 2 weeks ago. I don't know why, but I'm all over the road when I drive this thing.  :-[
I have new tires all around, so not that. I have front bags inflated to 90lbs, and there are steering stabilizers on the front as well.
I haven't checked the back to see if I have anything back there.

Anyone have some ideas of what I can check, and how to check?

Thanks!
Steve
We checked & adjusted the toe in on front axle, on ours & it made a huge improvement in the handling.

We have a 92 HR Alum a Lite and had a similar issue altough we have the F53 chassis not the P30. I replaced the sway bar bushings and end links and it made a world of difference. No more wandering all over the road and when a semi  passes it no longer blows the rig over 1/2 a lane. New shocks are next but the busshings made a big improvement on ours.
Good luck with yours,
Michael

Steven, there are 2 critical points with the P30 steering mechanism. The unit are called "Bell Cranks".. If they are sloppy nothing will compensate for their problem.

I chose the OEM version (GM) and paid $101.00 each plus labor.

There are aftermarket units available which I assume will last forever...but I have an old RV as well.

Try Googling 'Bell crank P30' and see for yourself. 

carson FL

Back
Top Bottom