Help!! Over revving

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KSJim

My 1996 F53 has started over revving.  It wants to run at 4000 rpm in neutral.  I checked the throttle cable for binding and it does have about an inch and a half of cable left above the pedal.  But the butterfly appears to be closed.

If the cruise control was malfunctioning, it would pull the butterfly valves open.

Are they closed when the engine is racing?  If so, look for a loose connection or a missing or cracked vacuum hose that's admitting air around the butterflies.  A fuel injected engine monitors the air to fuel ratio via the oxygen sensor and injects fuel to keep the ratio correct.  More air getting in = more fuel injected.

WD-40 sprayed on suspected areas will reveal a leak as the engine speed will vary when it's sucked in through a leak.  Or you can use a cigar.  https://youtube.com/watch?v=zMok2y05jNE

I had an intake manifold crack on a fuel injected Ford 460 in a work van and it did just what you describe, the engine responded as if the throttle butterflies were stuck open.  Fortunately, I had the presence of mind to shut off the ignition and bring it to a safe stop.  Ford replaced the manifold under warranty.

Update!!  She is running good again.  We had her serviced before our trip, I'll talk with the mechanic when we get home. Turns out that it was a piece of the old filter stuck in the butterfly.  Expensive lesson as we had to call a mobile mechanic to find it.

Back
Top Bottom