Help with minor roof leak...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pourme

Is there such a thing as a MINOR roof leak?

Looking at the roof of my TT I noticed a place that looked "odd". Applying light pressure it was soft. The entire soft area is no more than a few square inches. There appears to be a faster of some kind that caused a pin hole when stepped on at some point. The location is just t the top of the ladder. (high traffic area) It is a rear bath
TT and you can see a slight brown discoloring over the shower. Applying similar pressure to the ceiling it doesn't feel noticeably softer.
What should I do about this? I don't believe it is severe enough to tear into the roof. I am thinking I should apply some type of sealer to the affected area and monitor it. If so what kind/brand do you recommend?
What about moisture already in the roof? Do I need to be concerned about mildew? Will it dry out on it's own and not form mildew?

Thanks in advance for the time!

Benny

There are several products out there that could be used to patch a small hole.  Check at an online RV supplier like CampingWorld or PPL Motorhomes. 

Getting after the area to mitigate mildew could be a daunting and expensive task.  Unless it becomes a problem I would suggest a bit of bleach to remove the stain and not worry about it. 

If you can actually see a pinhole, a dab of Dicor self-leveling caulk may do it. Otherwise a strip of Eternabond tape may be called for. If I were to choose the Eternabond
I would also consider slitting the roof material enough to take a peek, letting it dry out if necessary and perhaps soaking it with a wood hardener , letting that dry and then sealing with the tape.

Thank you both for your responses.

Alfa38User you addressed a issue I was wondering about, weather or not I should or could even consider cutting the rubber material to sneak a peak and letting it dry out. Adding wood hardner didn't cross my mind. Although Tough Stuff expanding spray did!
Still in the thinking stages. This is my first experience with a roof problem. I will look into Eternabond tape. I didn't know about it. Thanks!

Any more oppions out there?

Thanks! :)

Alfa38User said:
If you can actually see a pinhole, a dab of Dicor self-leveling caulk may do it. Otherwise a strip of Eternabond tape may be called for. If I were to choose the Eternabond
I would also consider slitting the roof material enough to take a peek, letting it dry out if necessary and perhaps soaking it with a wood hardener , letting that dry and then sealing with the tape.

Just read about the tape online & found a local dealer. So far I am leaning toward cutting a small slit in the roof for inspection drying, and possable repair and resealing with Eternabond.
Great idea!...Thanks again!
You guys are the best.....

I too had a soft spot on the ceiling. I decided to open it up, and it wasn't pretty.  It would have taken a lot more than wood hardener to help it.  As bads as it was, I am glad I took the time and trouble to see what damage there was and do a proper fix. In my case it was a leak at the very front corner of a fifth wheel roof. After removing the front roof trim, I was able to peel the rubber roofing back enough to expose the problem. I ended up replacing some framing, and about a 2' square area of the roof. I put the rubber roof back down with contact cement, but because I had stretched the material I didn't feel comfortable with it and ended up putting a second piece of rubber roofing over it. I went down over all the edges with Eternabond tape and all is now well. Yes it took a couple of days working at it, but definitely worth the time & effort.  I hope yours is an easy fix, but I would highly suggest you make certain that it is a small problem instead of waiting till it is an out of control problem.  ;)

After reviewing Eternabond tape's website and watching the videos I am confident I can cut into the problem area and access the damage. If I have questions on how to proceed with repairs I will be back!
Thanks for the positive words, powderman. I'll post what I find.

PS...It appears Eternabond may be avaible at Walley World...I'll find out tomorrow!

Thanks again! :)

I don't think it is available at WW but if you find it there please let me know.  In my area they only show 2 dealers, and they are both Roofing material co.  You can go to their web site & look for a location near you.  After having used it, they definitely made a believer out of me.  ;D

If you have the time, a couple of days for delivery, buy the EternaBond online.  You will amazed at the savings.  I bought a 4x50 roll for about $65 and my dealer wanted about $90 for a 4x36 roll!

I got mine for $60 at Banner Supply in Youngstown.  It was a 4" by 50' roll.  I asked about this a couple days ago and didn't get an answer.  I guess I got a deal. ;D

I just realized that you mentioned the soft area was next to the ladder. Suspect the screws holding the ladder to the roof as a possible water entrance point. Might be wise to remove them and also consider trying to rolling back the roofing from the end cap rather than just slitting it. Might reveal more of the potential problem!!

OK today I started looking at the soft spot...good & bad news:
If these pictures come out right you can see what I discovered. I think this was two separate problems. The original spot was the result of a original nail that bent when originally hammered in. The ancient spot was the result of dried & cracked caulk on the edge at the end of the gutter.
The entire area is about 2.5 feet square. I caught it just in time, (the good news)the walls are OK! You can't even tell on the inside!I ordered the Eternabond today 2" x 50' about $40.00, will be here Friday. My local camper store has rubber roofing material for $3.00 sq. ft. Lowe's has everything else. No rain is forecast the rest of the week. I plan to be finished by Friday pm. Oh ya, putting a new set of Maxxis 8008 st tires on it tomorrow...leave for a 1300 mile round trip on Monday!

This is all new to me....wish me luck! ;)

Attachments

• DSC02044.JPG
    DSC02044.JPG
    34.2 KB · Views: 33
  • DSC02045.JPG
    DSC02045.JPG
    69 KB · Views: 34
  • DSC02054.JPG
    DSC02054.JPG
    533.4 KB · Views: 36
  • DSC02060.JPG
    DSC02060.JPG
    463.2 KB · Views: 37
powderman said:
I got mine for $60 at Banner Supply in Youngstown.  It was a 4" by 50' roll.  I asked about this a couple days ago and didn't get an answer.  I guess I got a deal. ;D
It looks to me like you did ok on your purchace. I ordered mine from Eternabond....  http://www.eternabond.com/RV-Leak-Repair-Products-s/22.htm  Mine was only 2" wide same length and it will cost me a little over $45.00.....

pourme said:
OK today I started looking at the soft spot...good & bad news:
If these pictures come out right you can see what I discovered. I think this was two separate problems. The original spot was the result of a original nail that bent when originally hammered in. The ancient spot was the result of dried & cracked caulk on the edge at the end of the gutter.
The entire area is about 2.5 feet square. I caught it just in time, (the good news)the walls are OK! You can't even tell on the inside!I ordered the Eternabond today 2" x 50' about $40.00, will be here Friday. My local camper store has rubber roofing material for $3.00 sq. ft. Lowe's has everything else. No rain is forecast the rest of the week. I plan to be finished by Friday pm. Oh ya, putting a new set of Maxxis 8008 st tires on it tomorrow...leave for a 1300 mile round trip on Monday!

This is all new to me....wish me luck! ;)

Today all the pieces came together and I finished one day ahead of schedule!It wasn't really that hard, tired from going up & down the ladders...now I have four new Maxxis 8008 tires, I also painted the rims, center pieces,& lugs...and a solid repaired roof.

Ready for my 1300 mile round trip beginning Monday!

Attachments

• IMG_0082.jpg
    IMG_0082.jpg
    321.5 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_0083.jpg
    IMG_0083.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 17
  • DSC02062.JPG
    DSC02062.JPG
    329.4 KB · Views: 18
  • DSC02063.JPG
    DSC02063.JPG
    375.8 KB · Views: 15
  • DSC02061.JPG
    DSC02061.JPG
    34.7 KB · Views: 31
Thanks for the pictures and write up. I have an almost identical situation where the TV antenna was mounted. For now I pulled the antenna off and used the Eternal tape to seal the screw holes and mounting hole. I'll tackle the permanent fix in the spring. Just seeing the pictures has helped inspire confidence that I'll be able to do it. Thanks, Tim

Thanks for the comments...I was a little intimadated in the begining, but gained confidense as the project progressed.
Thanks to all the members here that helped keep me in the right direction, and I know they will do the same for you when you need help also!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tensch
Back
Top Bottom