Help with toilet flange size on Cherokee 38BS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

debbie

Hey folks,
Not sure where to post this question.  I want to remove the black water holding tank so I can hook up our RV to the newly installed septic system on our property.  So my question is what is the size of the toilet flange in the RV?  My guess was that it is 3", but was hoping to get input from you folks.  Another question:  how does the toilet flange attach to the black water tank?  BTW, it is a Thetford Aqua-Magic toilet.  The RV is 3hrs away and we have snow on the ground so I can not remove the tank and check.
THX
Rob and Deb

You might try calling Cherokee Parts and Service at 260-593-2428.  They were very good about answering some of my technical questions in the past.

Replacement floor flanges should be available at most RV parts dealers. They're pretty standard. But why do you want to remove the tank? Wouldn't it be a lot simpler to simply use the existing dump fitting or install a tee somewhere in the 3" line?. Sounds like you're going to leave the rig in place permanently, yes? If freezing weather is a consideration, you could make an argument for leaving the tank in place - a simple heater or light bulb would keep it from freezing and you wouldn't have an off-and-on running of sewage in the line that could freeze solid eventually.

Lowell, THX for the input, I will call Forrest River.
Karl, I currently have it attached to the existing dump fitting, but am not happy about the smell that comes back up from the black water holding tank in the toilet and the new septic smell that comes back up from the grey water vents.  We have tried leaving the dump valves closed which eliminates the smell on the grey water side, but does not do much for the smell from the black water tank.  We will be leaving the rig in place, but do not use it in the winter, and I do not mind having to winterize the trap once a year.  I just wanted to have a set up that eliminated the smell....period.  Yeah...Yeah I know, my sense of smell is over the top, but I installed the septic myself because the honey tank gig (even with a respirator) made me want to vomit.  So the net of it is, I worked my a$$ off on the septic and want to make it work the way I think it should....no smell :) 

Debbie,
You may want to do a little more investigating. Maybe the vent tube is clogged (nests, leaves, etc.), the toilet seals are damaged or have slipped out of place, or some other problem. It's customary to leave the black tank valve closed until at least 1/2 full so you get the benefit of the "woosh" factor when dumping to help sweep it clean. The gray tank may be left open most of the time, closing it a day or two before dumping to have 'rinse' water to clean the hose and piping after dumping the black tank. Removing the tank and hooking up the toilet to new plumbing is not going to be an easy task.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fth
Back
Top Bottom