Helper Springs for Toyota Tundra

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jalciere

I pull my 5W Cougar X-Lite 26 SAV with a 2011 Tundra Double Cab, which has the 5.7-liter V8 and TRD off-road package. The Tundra pulls and stops the Cougar easily, but I'm thinking of installing helper springs for when the roads get choppy. There doesn't appear to be a big selection for the Tundra. (Whereas there are lots of options for RAM, Silverado, and F-Series.)

Has anyone else gone this route ... or considered doing so?

Thanks in advance!

Have you considered air bags.  I like those better, BF Goodrich or Firestone makes some good ones.

I would HIGHLY recommend Firestone air bags!  I put them on my F150, after I lifted the truck it sits completely level, so whenever I hook a trailer up or put a load in the bed the rear sags.  I have the Firestone Ride-Rite bags and Airlift quick shot on-board air system, this way I can level the truck with the simple push of a switch inside my center console.  I also use the air system for blowing up rafts, toys for the kids, bike tires, and even airing up my parents truck tire that picked up a nail.

After seeing my setup a buddy that has a lifted Ram and tows a GN 3 horse slant, bought the same setup I did.  He installed the bags, I just have to install the Quick Shot system for him whenever things slow down a bit.

I also went the way of the air bags. This really helped smooth out my ride. I would think that helper springs would only make matters worse on a rough rode.

I have air bags, and they work great.  But please remember, just because the truck is level does not mean it is not overloaded!  Air bags should only be considered leveling devices, not "helper" springs, and do not increase the trucks capacity.

johncmr

I really would like to get a smoother, more comforable, less hard, ride for my Chevy 3500 express van when I am not towing. Would airbags be able to do that? Would anything be able to do that?

I don't see how air bags would help the ride when not towing - might even make it worse.. The problem is the suspension is designed to carry 3000-4000 lbs of load in the back, so without any load it is very stiff. The ride actually improves if you add weight. Try throwing 500 lbs of sand bags (or whatever) in the back and you will probably like it more.  Maybe get  a portable water tank for the back and fill it with water for town driving, then empty it out and remove when you want to tow?

I suppose you could remove the leaf spring suspension entirely and replace with air or other adjustable suspension, but that's probably big bucks.

Yep, I figured that it was a hard ride because it was designed to carry loads. But I was sort of hoping that there might be a gizmo that would soften it when you are not carrying loads. But thanks for the advice Gary.

There used to be a product called Velvet Ride Shackles that would do what you're looking for, but they quit making it because there were too many different truck chassis to match up to. Alternative might be to remove one leaf of the rear springs and add air bags to make up for the lost spring capacity.

Gary RV Roamer said:
There used to be a product called Velvet Ride Shackles that would do what you're looking for, but they quit making it because there were too many different truck chassis to match up to. Alternative might be to remove one leaf of the rear springs and add air bags to make up for the lost spring capacity.
Those Velvet Ride Shackles were a joke!!  My father had two different pairs of them on his 05 F350.  He bent the first pair, called the company and the sent him a new pair.  Same thing happened, bent them also.  Apparently having 4000+lbs in the bed is MUCH more than they could handle.

I helped a buddy remove 2 springs on his 2nd gen Ram 3500.  We took out the 2 bottom springs and then installed Ride-Rites. It rode like a caddy when empty and the bags more than made up for the springs that were taken out.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sptddog
Back
Top Bottom