Here We Go.....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wolf Pack Fan

We're finally taking the coach from it's comfy parking space next to the house to a distant and far away land and RV park.  It's the Bordertown RV park, at the edge of the NV, CA state line on US 395.  This should make some smile.  It's 2.3 miles from our house.  That decimal point is not misplaced.  So much for the far and away part.  ::)  Since we're complete newbs to RV'ing with a motor home, we figure this'll be a good little test run.  We're planning on the mini trip being done just as if we were hundreds of miles from home.  I think it should ease those feelings of uncertainty, wondering if you've forgotten anything, when we finally hit the road for a longer trip.  It's been fun stocking it, and scouring over all the great lists we've seen on this forum and others.  Now comes a mini user test.

When we bought our first rig I had the same idea.  The plan was to take it out the weekend we picked it up and go to the a near by state park.  (Something like 20 miles from our home.)  But as the best laid plans always go the check didn't arrive to purchase the RV in time to do that and we could not cancel.  Being as close as it was we did something that made perfect sense at the time and NO SENSE AT ALL now.  We actually went up there with food in a cooler and had a BBQ dinner using the grill on site and pick-nick tables.  Let the boy play in the playground then we drove 20 miles home down the mountain.  Bear wanted to play in the play ground again so we went back up the next morning and spend the day hiking and playing then went home again.  We did eventually go camping at Hurkey Creek, but we sure went through some gas going back and forth that weekend.

The next weekend when we really did pick up our coach was already planned to go to Laughlin, NV so we changed our reservation from staying at the Riverside Resort to staying at the Riverside RV park.  I learned a lot about driving in winds, how to deal with trucks and other rigs and various other issues.  I wished our first trip would have been 2.3 miles a way. 

Jeff

Some of our best trips have been just minutes from home!!  I always say, "what difference does it make if you drive for 2-3 hours or 10-20 minutes?"  Once you get there...you're camping!!!  Enjoy!!

One of the great things about RVing close to home is that you can run home if you forgot anything. Not to mention using less gas :)

Wendy

Duh! I just remembered that when we bought our motorhome, we lived two blocks away from a great riverside RV park.

We went back and forth for two weeks, figuring out how things worked, stocking the frig and cupboard, eating in it, etc. It was all hooked up and we got to sort out all the problems. (I won't bore you with the four trips to Camping World getting things fixed but that taught us how to drive in city traffic!)

I guess my point is that it is wise to have a bit of a safety net on the first couple of trips - it will make you relax more as your trips extend, and the experience is well worth it!

Enjoy!

We've started doing this just recently - going places really close to home.  My son really loves camping in the m/h so he and I have been checking out the local campgrounds.  It's amazing how vacation-like it feels just to drive ten minutes up the highway and stay overnight.  As others have said, it's also a great way to shake out the bugs in what we're doing, try new equipment (wife calls it toys), and get ready for the big trips.  We take about three long trips (For us, 10 days each or so) per year, and a few shorter four or five day excursions.

Wolf Pack Fan said:
It's 2.3 miles from our house.

Enjoy the maiden voyage. We've been doing the RV thing for 8 years now and we usually start and end the season at 2 nearby campgrounds - a KOA 10 miles South of us and another place about 5 miles North. It's mainly due to our kids' school activities or Kim's work responsibilities but we have just as much fun as if we were 100 miles away. And the kids' friends are jealous because they get off the school bus right at the KOA every year!

jeffbrown said:
...the check didn't arrive to purchase the RV in time to do that and we could not cancel.  Being as close as it was we did something that made perfect sense at the time and NO SENSE AT ALL now.

Since you already paid for it, I'd say it made perfect sense. It was an expensive picnic but at least it was a picnic. And it gives you a great story to tell..."remember the time we went camping without a camper?".

Best plan yet.  Don't forget to make a list of the things you wished you would of brought for next time. And that other list for things you had no use for but sounded good at the time.  Our first trip is when we found out the "non slip" matting really didn't work for a cake on top of the table.  Unless you concider a "up side down cake"  Bets learning happens your actually doing it; where ever it might be.
As a follow up why not post what you learned after you get back?  Have a god trip.

Good morning all!  We're here now.  Slept well last night and stayed toasty warm inside.  The nice to have list has grown by several entry's.  I think the only critical item on the list is coffee filters.  Is there life before coffee?!  No troubles at all with set up.  Had the water pressure regulator on at first but pressure was really low so I took it off.  Pressure was fine afterwards.  I think I'll invest in a water pressure gauge for future use, so I know the pressure in the park.  First prepared meal, of brats and burgers, on the Coleman Roadtrip grill was perfect.  I really like that grill.  I'm glad we chose that one.  Temperature last night dropped a little low and the water hose and filter froze.  Water ran from faucets inside for a little bit, so I don't think any harm was done.  Bottled water saved the day for coffee.  The park is very nice.  70 channels of cable, free wifi, a laundry room.  You get coupons for the bar, and restaurant when you check in.  I think it's $30 a night, but we're locals so it was only $25.  Maybe the same for Good Sam members.  Pretty neat walking around the park and seeing some of the other rigs.  Some nice ones!  I'll update again after the thaw.   

Had the water pressure regulator on at first but pressure was really low so I took it off.  Pressure was fine afterwards.  I think I'll invest in a water pressure gauge for future use, so I know the pressure in the park.

I'll bet it wasn't a water pressure problem - it was water VOLUME.  You probably have one of those neat little RV store regulator, probably looks like THIS.  They do fine on controlling water pressure, but have a limited flow volume, usually 1.5-2.0 gpm tops. Most people think that is wimpy, since residential plumbing is 2x-5x that. You may want to invest in a "whole house" sized regulator. You can get them at Lowes or Depot - just add adapters for hose thread and you are in business.

Here are some: http://www.rvwaterfilterstore.com/PressureRegulators.htm

Thank you Gary.  Yes the one I got is the same as the picture you showed.  Hose is thawed now and everything is fine.

Question:  After I thawed the hose and hooked it back up, everything tested fine, with no leaks.  I decided to hook the hose to the flush fitting and flush the black tank, since I was hooked up to a sewer.  I didn't leave the gate valve open the whole time.  I would close it for a bit, open it for a bit and continue.  Some clear water started leaking from under the bathroom while I was doing that.  It stopped after I shut the water off and stopped the flush operation.  Ideas??

On the subject of coffee filters - we've found that a paper towel works just as well as a filter when we run out.  We're not die-hard coffee drinkers either, but just "social drinkers".

Is it possible that you ran so much water with the hose into the black tank that you actually overflowed it ?
May have overdone the "rinse".

Update on the hose.  Haven't pin pointed the leak yet, but I got the panel out of the way to see where it's originating from.  Today I'll pinpoint the leak.  There's a long hose from the flush inlet on the drivers side that goes to the black tank on the pass. side.  On top of the tank there's several elblows and fittings with short hoses between them.

Question:  If a hose is ruptered and I need to replace it, do I need a compression ring tool or are a couple of hose clamps sufficient?

AndyinLexington said:
On the subject of coffee filters - we've found that a paper towel works just as well as a filter when we run out.  We're not die-hard coffee drinkers either, but just "social drinkers".

Paper towels worked once for us.  Coffee was a little chewy from the grounds
mmmm........ but it worked.  The convenience store cleark gave us a couple of theirs so we were fine.  We'll get a screen filter also.  They make a better cup of coffee because the oil from the beans doesn't get absorbed into the paper. 

WhiteEagle said:
Is it possible that you ran so much water with the hose into the black tank that you actually overflowed it ?
May have overdone the "rinse".

I wish that was the case sir.  I'll figure it out today.  It's important, but not critical.  Because it only leaks when flushing and I have a back up device for flushing.  I still want it working properly though.

Your story reminds me  of our first RV trip.  We were such newbies and NOT yet RVForum members.  We bought a brand new Winnebago Vectra two days before Christmas.  Our FIRST trip was from So Cal area to Albuquerque, NM.  Just your basic 17 hour non stop  drive.  We hit traffic, construction, wind, rain, snow and the dash heater did not work.  I had to keep  getting blankets for Terry's legs to keep him warm. 
When we finally arrived we had a wonderful time for the holidays......But in thinking  back I can't believe we took this adventure on our first trip out.  So much for ignorance.

Thanks for  reminding us of our past.

Betty

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gregcss43
Back
Top Bottom