Hey Mister. There's a fire in your motorhome...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SLOweather

This time of year, Dish runs 2 channels of "Yule Log" fireplaces. I DVRed a few hours of one. When we were at Pinnacles National Park last week, we ran it a lot on the TV in  the kitchen, especially in the evenings.

It freaked out a couple of people walking by, seeing it through the window...

Attachments

• 181212fireplace.jpg
    181212fireplace.jpg
    228.3 KB · Views: 129
We have a big camp fire at the camper and there's a trailer across the street a distance away. I always see the reflection in the window and think their trailer is on fire. Lol this has been going on for years and every time it catches my eye, my first reaction is thinking there's a fire.

Oldgator73 said:
My son had a fire in his TT the other night. His heater leaned over and caught his mattress on fire. Scared the poop out of him.

Yikes. Electric heater? Catalytic? Either should have a safety switch

A few years back when I was broke down in GA I met a young lady. No possibility of a romantic partner but she was nice and I still "Take her out to dinner" via a Gift Card on occasion (like Christmas).

Well her old Computer was.. OLD. and wheezing as they say on it's last legs (did not make ot to Independence day in fact) but for Christmas I picked up a nice new HP Win-10 box on Black friday. Wrapped it and gave it to her.. Surprise suprise.. Nobody had given her a gift for a long long time.

Well over Christmas we spent a couplel days setting it up. then resetting it when she forgot her password.. A literal "Take her out to dinner while it does everything" job.

Well... As I'm working on the updates and configurations and everything else she is telling me how much she wants a fireplace in her upstairs apartment. Her tennants (Downstars) have one but not upstairs.. So I installed the free fireplace app... Set it running.. complet with snap crackles and pops of a normal fireplace and when she saw it.. her response was worth ALL the cost and effort.. (Very littler girl at Christmas response).

Does not end there.. She had that set as her screen saver  So she is working on the computer. Gets up to go visit littler room at the end of the hall... When she returns her cats are Curled up in front of the fire enjoying it as well.

The app exists in teh windows app store (Free) and Android as well (Different app but still free)

Oldgator73 said:
My son had a fire in his TT the other night. His heater leaned over and caught his mattress on fire. Scared the poop out of him.
Sounds like a good solution to constipation.............lol

Bill N said:

Not really. Gator's son is a very nice person, and has done a lot of work to his trailer. He doesn't need to have problems like a fire happening to him.

This isn't the first time I've done something like this. 25 years ago or so, I set up our new camcorder in front of the fireplace at our first house and recorded a couple of hours of a fire in in. It was much more entertaining than the Dish one is, because it wasn't looped. You could see the fire burning down, and my arms come into t view to jostle it and add logs.

We were skiing a lot back then in our Suncruiser, and dry-camping in parking lots at the ski areas. We also carried a Weber fireplace with us, and apres ski would sit out around the fire with adult beverages while the other skiers trudged to their cars for the drive home.

If I can find that tape, I'm going to get it copied to DVD.

Bill N said:

Problem is he does his laundry at our house.

kdbgoat said:
Not really. Gator's son is a very nice person, and has done a lot of work to his trailer. He doesn't need to have problems like a fire happening to him.

The biggest problem is he has PTSD and gets super nervous and agitated when things aren?t ?normal?. By the time he got here was calmed down. No damage to the trailer or him or the dog and cats.

The title here reminded me of my fire story. We were camped with full hookups and had been there for about a month.  I was reading the headlines online one morning.  I saw the lights blink and the laptop beeped.  I looked up and didn't notice anything wrong and went back to reading the headlines.  Had I looked at the microwave I would have noticed that it was blank as we had lost all AC power and were now on batteries.  Just then there was a Bang, bang, bang on the door and a guy yelled, "You're on fire, you're on FIRE!"  I'm here to tell you that is better than coffee to get you going in the morning!!

I went to the door rather quickly.  I opened the door and said. WHAT is on fire??"  He replied, "Your power post blew up, the post door flew open and lots of fire came out"!  Wow, it sure did blow up, it was black and scorched.  My plug was melted and soot was two feet up my power cord.  The guy had big eyes and said he must have come 3 feet off the ground when it "went off!"  He was just walking by.

About then a campground employee pulled up on a golf cart.  I said. "Your power post blew up."  He said, "Nope, you plug blew up, we see that a lot. I tripped the breaker, wiggled my plug up and down to get it out of the burnt outlet and plugged in my circuit tester.  When I switched the breaker back on the tester showed everything was fine with the circuit.  The outlet was black but not melted.  I said that I needed a new plug and he needed to change that burnt outlet.  The employee said he would get a new outlet and a new plug for me.  He was right back with those and he cleaned up the power post and changed the outlet and I changed my plug.  I tested the circuit with my tester and plugged in.  I switched on the breaker and ops checked everything in my trailer, all was well.  The employee said that they see a lot of those black trailer plugs, on power power cords that pull out of the trailer, short and blow up at about 6+ years old and some fairly new ones.  Mine was nine years old.  I now carry a spare plug.  Exciting morning.  Two days later a nice coach caught on fire and was destroyed a ways done from me.  Nobody was hurt!  We never heard what the cause was on that fire.

kdbgoat said:
Sorry, I guess you missed the LOL.

Never heard that power plugs needed to be replaced periodically.  Hopefully some of our electrical guru's will shed some light on this.  Our 50 amp cord has been doing it's job for almost 15 years.  We did have a 30 amp cord that had a burnt prong.  Not sure when where or why but I replaced it.  Now I have it and a new one. 

Bill N said:
Sorry, I guess you missed the LOL.

Yeah I did, sorry :-[
Oldgator73 said:
No damage to the trailer or him or the dog and cats.

That's good on all accounts. I remember you telling me about all the work he has done on his trailer. I hope everything works out with the truck conversion.

garyb1st said:
Never heard that power plugs needed to be replaced periodically.  Hopefully some of our electrical guru's will shed some light on this.  Our 50 amp cord has been doing it's job for almost 15 years.  We did have a 30 amp cord that had a burnt prong.  Not sure when where or why but I replaced it.  Now I have it and a new one. 

Here is a recent post from Kevin Means about his power plug failing in a spectacular way. A good read and very good info about power plugs.

http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php/topic,116425.msg1053111.html#msg1053111

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TessInBandon
Back
Top Bottom