Hi from Florida- 38' 98 Bounder only for mom to live in-not going anywhere

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

a1aweb

Am seeking advice on my 38' 98 Bounder I got in trade for my 2004 VW - now that I've cleaned it inside and out it looks great. I only got it for mom (84) to live in next to the house, until I can get her to live in the house, but need to keep it running so I can make it the 11 miles to the dump station and back once a month. I can't leave the house much because my husband has pancreatic cancer so will be easier to take care of mom if she is right here not an hours drive away. I have months to work on it before
she will be in it.
I just need to keep it driveable. I knew it would have problems and was surprised it made it 40 miles to get here. I got Triple A RV towing just in case.
I can see the tranny pan and all around it is covered w.oily residue and debating on dropping and cleaning the pan and replacing the filter and gasket -  versus just a flush and fill. It may be the front seal leaking. Yes I can see linkage will have to be removed if I drop the pan. It has 20 bolts-so am guessing it is a Ford 4R100 Tranny.? Am I correct? Anyone know? It says to use Merc V (not knowing what was used previously) can I use Merc/Dex?
I had read that you should not put in Merc/Dex w.out totally flushing out the old fluid. How many quarts does this tranny need? - I read anywhere from 18 to 21 qts. (Jiffy lube said they would do flush and fill for $129 which isn't bad considering the cost of that much fluid)
Oil looks good but will be changed to synthetic - already have that and the filter.
Thanks and I can see the eyes rolling and heads nodding already.
Ann

Attachments

• 14_F53_F59_SB_specs.pdf
    172.9 KB · Views: 5
a1aweb said:
need to keep it running so I can make it the 11 miles to the dump station and back once a month.

Depending upon how the Bounder is used (i.e., sleeping quarters only vs. full second unit including showering, cooking etc) I'm guessing your trips to the dump station will be much more frequent - more like every couple weeks to weekly. Something you may want to consider is a macerator. It's something you attach to the dump output of your rig which grinds everything up and pumps it through a garden hose up to 100 feet (I believe). You could then dump into a sewer cleanout or even a toilet (if you get the hose in past the trap). I don't use a macerator but many people do and they can weigh-in on more specifics. With a macerator you wouldn't have to move the rig at all.

Welcome to the forum.

Thanks, There is a sewer line cleanout pipe with cover on it on the outside of the house
where the bathroom is-how do I get past the trap?

Trap? Don't know how they do things in FL, but when they put in a sewer system in AK there isn't a trap at the clean out. There is a piece of black plastic coming out at a 45 degree angle with a screw cap on it. If that's the way your system is set up it shouldn't be a problem dumping there.

If you have a septic system, you can dump directly in that. Just make sure you dump in the chamber where the inlet from the house is hooked up. Your other option would be put a tee in and dump into that. Think it would be way easier to just dump it at home.

Thanks - Yeah we are on septic - but it's on the other side of the house.
I did get some advice on the tranny  - they said don't change the fluid at all cause then more leaks would appear - to just keep adding fluid and keep it topped off until I can afford to replace the seal or rebuild the tranny if that's what it needs.

Wheeldog said:
Trap? Don't know how they do things in FL, but when they put in a sewer system in AK there isn't a trap at the clean out.

I think I confused things. Wheeldog is correct, there is no trap at the cleanout and that would be a good place to dump. The trap I was referring to was the toilet - if you snake the hose down the toilet past the trap you can dump there also. However, you have to be sure and get past the trap or you could overflow the toilet

+1 on the macerator. They work GREAT. We love ours and it was way cheaper than a transmission (or registration!)

With that said, if you can gravity-feed from the outlet on the rig to the clean-out, you don't even need a macerator. The macerator is terrific if you need to run a long way or go uphill. (You know what they say doesn't run uphill!)

At our previous home we had a cleanout pipe in our front yard.  It was uphill from the street but we were able to back the motorhome up the driveway to get enough gravity so it would drain.  Worked great for years!  If you can park the Bounder in such a way that it's uphill from the cleanout it would be a great solution.

You certainly are going to have your hands full with both your ill husband and elderly mother.  Anything that can lower your stress level, such as not needing to move the Bounder, will help you cope with everything.  I wish you well.

ArdraF

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jasondenman
Back
Top Bottom