High Idle on 3126 CAT?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Jeff said:
According to the manufacturers you d not have to sit at high idle until you reach operating temps, you can do  that under way. I use the high idle to air up in the morning if we are ready to go.

Very true... manufacters stand behind them not having a warm up period, as long as oil pressure comes up you can go (but remember they've got EPA and MPG standards to meet, idling uses fuel = lower MPGs on that tank). However... I've seen many seal and pump issues from thick, cold oil being pushed through a cold engine. Diesels are cold blooded reptiles, and call me old school, but I feel safer having a diesel with some heat behind it before pushing 30,000lbs down the road.

We have found that when leaving a campground, as soon as the air is up, the temperatures will be high enough by the time we get to the highway.  It will warm up faster driving it a slow speeds than idling.  And the driving warms up the transmission as well, something that won't happen if you're just idling.

Again, the main reason to have a high idle is to keep your engine warm in very low temperatures when you are stopped for a relatively short amount of time... Not for warming up to drive at 5mph for the next 10minutes weaving through a campground in 60 degrees. :)

It also gets the air pressure up quickly, minimizing the time you antagonize your neighbors with your diesel exhaust and engine noise.

Ned said:
It also gets the air pressure up quickly, minimizing the time you antagonize your neighbors with your diesel exhaust and engine noise.

The day the screaming/tantrum kids and/or the dog barking tied to the tree being ignored, STOPs, i"ll be happy to shut down my kitty CAT quicker  ;D LOL

WILDEBILL308 said:
Outher peoples lack of consideration is not an acceptable excuse.
Bill

Just for clarification, are you saying that nothing is an acceptable excuse if a coach diesel is running? I appreciate your concern, however I was joking.. hence the smiley face and 'LOL'. '
Before charging after me regarding what is acceptable campground behavior on an online board that touts: 'The FRIENDLIEST place on the web..." and turning a jovial conversation into an argument, you should consider the potential seriousness of an author instead of accusing. Thanks Bill.

btizzle84 said:
Just for clarification, are you saying that nothing is an acceptable excuse if a coach diesel is running? I appreciate your concern, however I was joking.. hence the smiley face and 'LOL'. '
Before charging after me regarding what is acceptable campground behavior on an online board that touts: 'The FRIENDLIEST place on the web..." and turning a jovial conversation into an argument, you should consider the potential seriousness of an author instead of accusing. Thanks Bill.
If I ruffled your feathers I apologize. 
Bill

I usually depart very early in the morning. If possible I will tell my Nabors and assure them that I will be as quite as possible. I put my slides in and levelers up before I start the engine.  I will only idle until my air is up and creep out of earshot I will then hook up the toad. I usually try to get on the road by 5AM and I always stop before dark. I guess if I was leaving at a more sane time I would not be as concerned about disturbing my fellow RVers. If I stop briefly I use the high idle, the tuber charger gets hot at highway speed and I'm concerned about cooking the oil that's in it.

It may depend on the chassis and whether or not a smart wheel is installed.

Our Rig Freightliner XC, with a smart wheel. After starting all I have to do is press the "SET" button The idle will increase to 1000rpm.

Now, if memory serves me correctly, this is a requirement on a CAT engine, after first starting in the morning.

This is what I love about these forums.....  I had NO IDEA you could set the idle up using the cruise control.  I've never looked at the cruise owners manual since it always worked fine and I didn't know it could set the idle, pour you a drink, or whatever all it can do.....  Now I can't wait to go to the storage facility where the MH is parked so I can play with it!

gatorcq said:
Now, if memory serves me correctly, this is a requirement on a CAT engine, after first starting in the morning.

For several years Cat recommended keeping the idle up if you were leaving the engine running more than a few minutes at idle to avoid washing down the cylinder walls. I understand they now are waffling on that.

Y'all were right!! I found that it can be set both ways.....cool!
I can set high idle with the resume or setting the speed with my foot then push "set"!!
Thanks

DailyDriver said:
This is what I love about these forums.....  I had NO IDEA you could set the idle up using the cruise control.  I've never looked at the cruise owners manual since it always worked fine and I didn't know it could set the idle, pour you a drink, or whatever all it can do.....  Now I can't wait to go to the storage facility where the MH is parked so I can play with it!

Glad the convo was of some help! I agree - it's always fun when you find out something new about our toys  ;D

I tried it the other day and I can achieve high idle with either procedure......that is so cool  8)
Thanks folks for yet another tip!!!!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jasondenman
Back
Top Bottom