High output alternators?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Karmabytz

I'm brand new to this whole RV world, and my friend who is also just starting out told me what we need is a high output alternator to help generate a lot of power without running the genny. 

After a quick search online, I'm realizing that this is not the most simple thing to do, as there are many different kinds and I don't even have a clue how much power I'm going to be using.  (I'll be in the RV full time, running fridge, AC, lights, etc.)

Thoughts on this?  Anyone have one on their RV?  How do you figure out what kind you need?  Is this better than solar?

This is for a 26' 89 Winnebago Warrior.

Thanks.

Margot

A generator is a more efficient way to run your 120VAC appliances than running your engine and using the alternator.  Until you know what your power requirements are, you can't design your power systems, both 12VDC (number and size of batteries and charger) and 120VAC (generator and optional inverter).  Solar power adds another dimension to the problem.

Most RVs already come with a higher output alternator than, say, a van  or pick-up with the same engine. You could increase it more, but you would also have to increase wiring, relays, etc. to deliver that power to the house 12v system. And I have to question the value of doing so, cause it is not a "free lunch" as people tend to think. When the alternator produces more amps, it uses more of the available horsepower from the engine, increasing fuel consumption and perhaps using power you need to climb mountains or accelerate. Running the generator is quite efficient and simple. And if you are talking about doing this while parked as opposed to on the highway, running the generator is definitely the way to go. More output for less $.

Solar is fine, but mostly an assist to reduce generator run time. You can expand solar power generation, but you also need more batteries to store that power. Solar generates12v  power when the sun is available, not when you need it, so the batteries (and inverter too) are a big piece of the solution.

If you are thinking about running the A/C you will need a generator.  A alternator and battery bank with a power inverter are not the best way to run your A/C.

Back
Top Bottom