Hints, Tricks and Gadgets/Tools --- small ones.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Would an accumlator in the cold water line solve the cold water blast problem?

Hi Richard.  Not every piping system is the same from model to model RV.  Nor does any one answer fit all but often they can be tweaked.  The ideas that I have mentioned are simple basic design protocols. Anytime that I have designed a water piping system, I always have to take into account the pressure within the piping system. Otherwise problems are likely to arise.  I found that for me, the concern was rectified by the adjustments I made to the system in our RV.  For some, there may be no concern.  However, for others it may be.  And yes, our shower diverter also drips when engaged.  They were never intended to be 100% closed.
The accumulator will make no change,  the purpose of the accumulator is to reduce the pressure fluctuations in the water system.

My shut off in the head leaks also, small amount so you know water is still on at the main valve (as designed). I also have an accumulator and used to get the cold blast. have to hold your tongue in the other cheek to get it warm I think.
Rich, try turning on your elec water heater and gas heater at same time and see if it makes a difference. By adding the faster recovery, and more volume of hot vs cold I presume, it seems to eliminate the temp change when turning the shower head back on. Curious if it will help or hurt in your case of getting a hot blast.

PancakeBill said:
http://shop.biolitestove.com/BioLite-CampStove_p_15.html

Here we go, a way to prove how green we are.  Clean up campsites, charge our electronics.  PLUS cook dinner.

I may need to buy one.

Looks like it might power a Delorean Flux Capacitor too.  ;D

Mavarick said:
Rich, try turning on your elec water heater and gas heater at same time and see if it makes a difference. By adding the faster recovery, and more volume of hot vs cold I presume, it seems to eliminate the temp change when turning the shower head back on. Curious if it will help or hurt in your case of getting a hot blast.

My water heater is propane only, no electric. Sorry I can't do this experiment. BTW, my reasoning would suggest that making the water hotter in my water heater would increase the temperature of my "hot blast" rather than reduce or eliminate it.

R

Yea, didnt know you were just gas. I think it,s only effective if you have the "constant temp valve". In ours I think that is what causes most of the trouble.

threeful said:
I 've found it does not vary much if the sites are fairly level...1-2 inches.  I had one site that dropped off under the pin and it was 4" over normal. 

I am normally 53-54" from king pin to ground.

Bill

Hi Bill:

I like your resourcefullness, but wondered if you knew that RV Stores sell a stick-on level which has a slide built in to it.  You slide to the left (if mounted on the left side of the 5th wheel/trailer and when it hits level, that is the position the truck in hitch are in before disconnecting.  When you unhitch, just lower your undercarridge until the bubble reaches the true level on the gauge.  The sell for about $9.00, I was told by the person on who's trailer I first saw it.  I don't have one but am going to go looking for it.  Your method seems to be just as efficient.

Gord  ;D

Thanks!

We're on the road for the summer, so V2.0 will have to wait until winter.  I did make a cut sheet and planned out the most efficient use of the sheet of plywood.  You start with the desired dimensions of the bottom pad and the top pad and then plan for each higher layer to be about 2" on each side smaller the the layer below.

Great looking jack pads!  My compliments on your handy work.  I made some out of 2x4 pieces.  2 layers of 2x4's criss crossed & screwed together.  I put rope on them too.  Makes it a little nicer when it's time to reach under and pull them out.  They work but, I will definitely do the pyramids the next go, which may be sooner than necessary, just because I like your design so much.  I might consider non pressure treated plywood and a can of spray or brush on truck liner to give them more resistance to the elements.

I figure the first thing I'll do when I get around to making them is to measure the depth of the compartment they're going in.  I think you mentioned that.  It's the drivers side rear compartment, where we store the power cord.  I did not measure on the first set, but got lucky and they fit with about 2 inches of space to spare.

The compartment where I store the jack pads is about 24" deep so I made the pads 20" square.  They like to be stored flat and not standing on end - they are 'tippy' if stored upright.

I guess the ancient Egyptians were on to something with the design huh!  The one's they built are still standing and we're still copying their designs.  I've always been a believer of "Don't try to re-invent the wheel"..........................or the pyramid in this case.  ;)

Back to the shower dispenser.  We have one in our Motorhome that dispenses 3 different things (shampoo, conditioner and shower jel) - again, eliminates soap scum.  I agree - one with removable individual containers is best - wish ours was.  That said, I notice many folks here are using those "shower puffs" - they do drain and rinse well and don't mildew but I think I've found something better.  This thing is made in Japan - I first got one when I was there and then bought them in a Japanese store in Honolulu.  I buy them in quantity whenever I find them in stores.  They are not puffy!  They are called a shower towel but they don't dry you - they scrub you.  They are nubby and at first very scratchy - they exfoliate really well.  They are great because they scrub your back really well.  They rinse well and I just hang drape it over the shower head where it hits the wall and it dries really fast.  Here's a link to it.  You can buy them online.  Beware to buy this brand - Amazon often sends a Chinese knockoff which is inferior so be careful.  http://www.saluxshop.com/ 

I like the salux little washers.  They seem a bit pricey though at around $5 a piece.  I saw a package of 3 washcloths at Walmart one day, next to the check out stand.  They were maybe a dollar or two for a 3 pack.  Really cheap looking and thin, but had a nice texture to them.  Got them and tried them out and they're great for the mh.  They rinse easy and dry fast.

1. Tacky adhesive, blue or white, behind the bottom of clocks, pictures, ect. keeps them on the wall. Under trays or items on tables or shelves keeps them in place when traveling.
2. 3/4 X 3/4" wood strips with the appropriate slots in them screwed under our table with a 9X13" cake pan slid in for small items, table stuff. In a pinch, make a cake!
3. 5mm high brightness LED and a 400 to 1k resistor (Radio Shack) , wire in series with each other and across the switch inputs on the bathroom light (in parallel with the switch). Drill a 3/16" hole in the solid part of the fixture and push led through. when the switch is off, LED will make a nightlight in the bathroom. If the .03 amp use bothers you in the day, wire in another switch in series. Higher resistor values make the LED dimmer and use less power.
4. Our fifth wheel has space above the kitchen cabinets with a decorative rail all around. DW got decorative baskets for up there, we store tablecloths, dishtowels, dried goods, ect. Anything light and heat resistant.
5. Since we rarely use our oven, it makes a great light proof bread box. With the pilot off of course.
6. Replaced the noisy bathroom fan with two 5" computer muffin fans, much quieter and .36 amp draw total.
7. Clear plexiglass strips approx 2" high by the right length to slip upright behind the stiles inside the medicine cabinet. Prevents small bottles from falling out yet you can still see everything.
8. Similar strips glued/screwed across the corner shelves in the shower keep bottles ect, in place. Make sure to leave a space at the bottom for drainage.
9. Winter camping we put the heat shrink type plastic over the screen door, helps keep the draft off the DW.
10. Took the absolutely horrible pull-out couch frame out and replaced it with lift out plywood support panels.
Added a good 12 cu. ft. of storage, exchanged 50# plus of unused torture equipment with things we actually need.
All right that's 10, somebody can surely do 11!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom