hit from behind... what to do

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Skymuse

IMG_0274.jpegframe is bent behind the axle pushed forward and to the right. Currently this is my home. I was on my way to look for work in Georgia and am in South Carolina. My truck also bit the dust, it probably was indirectly caused by the accident but also because I stupidly didn't see it was running hot. It hadn't had any issues from NJ to North Carolina and the day of travel I had it looked at and worked on. I haven't been sleeping well in part because my solar panel isn't enough to keep the batteries charged enough to keep the furnace going and I thought the truck looked fine, (the pulley from the alternator popped off that should have been a clue.).
The water heater is shoved up through the cabinets destroying the bed. You can see where above the light is now a gaping hole that extends across the whole back. The frame is sticking out a couple of inches on the right. Traveling with cats and dogs, just feeling overwhelmed..

if you made it this far any advice on how to make a claim? State Farm is taking full responsibility. The problem is even if it can be fixed where would I live during the process.

Anyway if you ever went through something like this I would appreciate advice... please no harsh words.

Right now I am stuck on the side of the road in a small town waiting for money borrowed from a relative to buy a used truck. Shout out to the town of Aynor, South Carolina and the folks at Aynor Tire Mart who are kindly letting my truck sit in their yard and let the trailer be parked next to their property.

Oh I am so sorry - It's such a terrible way to start your journey. So far your posts are about getting ready to go.

I don't know the gross weight of your trailer but my brother had a pretty light TT and he would rent the home depot 1/2 ton to tow his trailer. Don't know if that would work for you to get back to home base. or not but it seems that would be a first move.

1 - find relatives that will board the dogs while you sort ting out.
2 - follow insurance adjusters advice, find a place that might repair your trailer.
3 - go back and try to secure blown up truck. Figure out if it can be repaired or needs to be junked.

This may not be the best way to go but when I was overwhelmed with tasking (I had a pretty complex high stress job) I always focused on the mantra, "Do the next thing next."

In other words don't get distracted - build the punch list of things that have to be sorted and start working them 1 by 1.

Good luck...

Your claim will be book value of whatever you have. Per earlier posts your trailer and TV are 1980's vintage? Best case scenario is to take the claim, buy back at salvage value and repair yourself. Or take the claim and put towards another vintage setup. If it makes you feel any better, I operate my old RV and pickup at the same risk level. Doesn't matter much what would happen to them on the road, any claim totals them.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

thank you I was trying to figure out how much to ask for I didn't think about trailers having a book value. It took me a long time to find one that was covered and had no soft spots or mold... priceless haha

oh where can I find the book value? I looked it up at JDpower and they have a 1989 Terry resort at $23,000?

Just spitballing here...not to be taken as any kind of real advice.

I would ask the adjuster if you're able to receive "loss of use" for the trailer and tow vehicle as it is currently your home. At the very least they should cover loss of use for the tow vehicle until it's repaired or declared a total loss. Even if it's $30 or $50 per day for a vehicle, every little bit helps, right? They may pay that until the tow rig and trailer are declared a total loss (unless one or both can be fixed, then, until it's repaired..)

Establishing a "cash value" for the trailer is likely to be contentious since yours appears in decent shape and most of that vintage are not, so sales data is likely to be non-existent, and any data that's out there is likely to be pretty low value, most likely. They've got you in a tight spot. You're stranded, and their value stands, and you don't get a check until you accept it or successfully prove it inaccurate. Sometimes they allow you to submit "comparable vehicles" for sale for consideration. Find the highest priced trucks and trailers with an internet search - start local first and expand outward.

Unless you insured it for some specific cash value, Skookum is right, it'd be up to you to establish a fair market price. You can get on various classified and auction sites and come up with a sample of similar units, and there's your market value. To get any more you'd have to come up with "receipts" of specific upgrades or enhancements you've done to justify that, otherwise it's stock configuration and fair market value. Given the vintage I'm betting it won't be a huge claim so they might throw you a bone if you can show evidence of above average condition or other upgrade.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

Oh I am so sorry - It's such a terrible way to start your journey. So far your posts are about getting ready to go.

I don't know the gross weight of your trailer but my brother had a pretty light TT and he would rent the home depot 1/2 ton to tow his trailer. Don't know if that would work for you to get back to home base. or not but it seems that would be a first move.

2 - follow insurance adjusters advice, find a place that might repair your trailer.
3 - go back and try to secure blown up truck. Figure out if it can be repaired or needs to be junked.

This may not be the best way to go but when I was overwhelmed with tasking (I had a pretty complex high stress job) I always focused on the mantra, "Do the next thing next."

In other words don't get distracted - build the punch list of things that have to be sorted and start working them 1 by 1.

Good luck...

Good luck..
Unless you insured it for some specific cash value, Skookum is right, it'd be up to you to establish a fair market price. You can get on various classified and auction sites and come up with a sample of similar units, and there's your market value. To get any more you'd have to come up with "receipts" of specific upgrades or enhancements you've done to justify that, otherwise it's stock configuration and fair market value. Given the vintage I'm betting it won't be a huge claim so they might throw you a bone if you can show evidence of above average condition or other upgrade.

Mark B.
Albuquerqu
thanks. I will do that.. There is a place here that can assess how much the repair cost would be and that may be higher than I can find a decent one for ... appreciate all advice

I looked it up at JDpower and they have a 1989 Terry resort at $23,000?
I don't know where you found that valuation but I am looking at JD Powers now and it shows the new price as having been $19,000 and the current average retail price as $1,100. You may be able to get them to pay more based on the condition before the accident, but it won't be anywhere close to $23k. Good luck with the negotiations!

The insurer will determine what it thinks is the fair market value, typically based on the NADA (JD Powers) used value. If you disagree with that valuation, you need to find & present evidence otherwise, e.g. advertised values of similar age & condition trailers or vehicles. It's difficult, but I was successful at it once.

RV repairs are very expensive and resale values are low, so the odds are high that an older trailer will be declared a total loss, meaning they pay you the "fair market value" for your old trailer. I doubt if that it anywhere near the $23,000 you mentioned - that sounds more like the MSRP of a new one. The most the value could be is what you paid for it (if that was recent), but the insurer isn't responsible if you paid an excessive price. If you paid $1M for a trailer that could have been bought for $1000 elsewhere, you would only get the $1000.

On problem with RV insurance is that an RV is legally not a "home", though it can be a temporary residence. The presumption is that you have a permanent home somewhere that you could go to if the repairs take an extended time. Or the RV is not repairable at all. The insurance should pay reasonable costs to get to that home, but won't pay for longer term housing during repairs. Discuss with the claims agent, emphasizing that you are stranded without either vehicle or trailer.

The insurer will determine what it thinks is the fair market value, typically based on the NADA (JD Powers) used value. If you disagree with that valuation, you need to find & present evidence otherwise, e.g. advertised values of similar age & condition trailers or vehicles. It's difficult, but I was successful at it once.

RV repairs are very expensive and resale values are low, so the odds are high that an older trailer will be declared a total loss, meaning they pay you the "fair market value" for your old trailer. I doubt if that it anywhere near the $23,000 you mentioned - that sounds more like the MSRP of a new one. The most the value could be is what you paid for it (if that was recent), but the insurer isn't responsible if you paid an excessive price. If you paid $1M for a trailer that could have been bought for $1000 elsewhere, you would only get the $1000.

On problem with RV insurance is that an RV is legally not a "home", though it can be a temporary residence. The presumption is that you have a permanent home somewhere that you could go to if the repairs take an extended time. Or the RV is not repairable at all. The insurance should pay reasonable costs to get to that home, but won't pay for longer term housing during repairs. Discuss with the claims agent, emphasizing that you are stranded without either vehicle or trailer.
yes I misunderstood the jdpowers thing.. it says 700$ .. which is crazy.. the prices I have found online are between 4900 to 8900. ... it took me a long while to find a clean one...that was solid ...thanks...

No one was has asked whose insurance company is liable. Did the guy that hit you have insurance.
I had a 2011 Montana High Country and was hit from behind. It looked a lot better shape than yours and they totaled mine. The adjuster for yours will probably just walk around it and not even get on his knees to inspect the frame, and he’ll probably total it.
There is no way a 1989 is valued at $23000.00.
I have a friend who has a 2012 Montana, 38’ long, 4 slides and excellent shape and he’s asking 25,000. It’s been for sale for close to 2 years and he can’t sell it.
Get your insurance company involved if you think there may be issues with the guy that hit you. Good luck.

I have a friend who has a 2012 Montana, 38’ long, 4 slides and excellent shape and he’s asking 25,000. It’s been for sale for close to 2 years and he can’t sell it.
In your opinion, why do you think he can't sell it for 25,000?

No one was has asked whose insurance company is liable.
That doesn't affect the value, but different insurers may have different policies to establish value on vintage vehicles where condition often varies greatly.

yes I misunderstood the jdpowers thing.. it says 700$ .. which is crazy.. the prices I have found online are between 4900 to 8900. ... it took me a long while to find a clean one...that was solid ...thanks...
Start gathering ads showing the same or very similar model & year so as to demonstrate that the Powers book is out of tune with the market. Adjusters or insurer policy may not recognize that the Powers/NADA guide for RVs is not based on actual sales data and instead shows estimated depreciation for a typical example I also suggest you buy a copy of the POWers RV Guide rather than using the free online version. There is more info in the subscription version. See Homepage.

No one was has asked whose insurance company is liable. Did the guy that hit you have insurance.
I had a 2011 Montana High Country and was hit from behind. It looked a lot better shape than yours and they totaled mine. The adjuster for yours will probably just walk around it and not even get on his knees to inspect the frame, and he’ll probably total it.
There is no way a 1989 is valued at $23000.00.
Get your insurance company involved if you think there may be issues with the guy that hit you. Good luck.
yes I answered above that I read the powers site wrong.. newbie .. now I need to find a place to move my camper with no truck somewhere .. the people said they would tow me ..very kind

I don't know where you found that valuation but I am looking at JD Powers now and it shows the new price as having been $19,000 and the current average retail price as $1,100. You may be able to get them to pay more based on the condition before the accident, but it won't be anywhere close to $23k. Good luck with the negotiations!
yes I answered above that I read the powers site wrong.. newbie .. now I need to find a place to move my camper with no truck somewhere .. the people said they would tow me ..very kind
oh and yes he had insurance and they accepted responsibility and said I may be entitled to rent .. we will see

Get your insurance company involved
If you have not done so already, you should still contact your insurance as they usually are quick to be involved since they must pay if the other party's insurance does not. And as Gary suggested, start collecting ads for similar RVs in age and model to support your request for more than the base valuation. Do not wait for their offer but expect that it will be low. If your tow vehicle is disabled, unrelated to the accident you need to deal with that also since you will need to tow the replacement RV.

If you have not done so already, you should still contact your insurance as they usually are quick to be involved since they must pay if the other party's insurance does not. And as Gary suggested, start collecting ads for similar RVs in age and model to support your request for more than the base valuation. Do not wait for their offer but expect that it will be low. If your tow vehicle is disabled, unrelated to the accident you need to deal with that also since you will need to tow the replacement RV.
They'll only pay for damage to your RV if you have full coverage or uninsured motorist coverage on your RV. Often full coverage is not economically feasible for an older RV because the payout is limited to the RV's book value and the annual premium is a substantial percentage of that. If you have liability only coverage your insurance company has no responsibility towards fixing your vehicle.

Back
Top Bottom