Hitch came in handy on the freeway

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Terier

After buying a locking device I started leaving the hitch in the receiver because the hitch is too heavy to lift.  Today on the freeway my truck was hit from behind which took me by surprise.  I didn't see the accident coming at all.  I don't remember too many details other than I was looking forward and suddenly I felt an impact.  Traffic was going a good deal slower than the speed limit which helped a lot. 

I had discomfort at the back of my head from hitting the headrest after being pushed forward. I was shaken up a little bit and had trouble writing down information so I took pictures of her insurance card, driver lic., and damage to her car.  Head is better now but there is a little discomfort in the neck but I have full movement.  At this point I think this is normal and expected but will keep monitoring it just in case.

I was surprised to see no sign of damage to my truck or bumper.  The lady hit straight into the hitch and her bumper & front end has damage.  There are slight signs of impact on the hitch where the paint or coating is gone in different small spots except that the hitch looked like it was pushed in about 1/2 inch judging from the missing paint.  The hitch lower part seems to be slanted now but not sure.  I contacted my dealership and they confirmed that the hitch (& receiver) should be checked out. 

A few people commented that I should leave the hitch in just in case I get hit from behind...now I know why.  BTW her Yaris was no match for my Tundra. :)  Good news that we both are safe and the accident scene was calm.

Replace the receiver, receiver bolts,  and the hitch.  (By "hitch" I assume you mean the ball mount.)    The impact probably did enough damage or strain to seriously compromise their integrity.  Include their replacement in the insurance claim. 

I went thru the same accident with my old 95 Bronco.  The impact bent the reciever, and tho there was no visible damage to the Reese ball mount, it probably sustained stress damage, so I replaced it also. 

All the same, I cannot recommend leaving the ball mount on while jus running around town.    It is back there like the stinger on a scorpion waiting to strike when you are parallel parking.  You get to pay for the damage then. 

I'm not a doctor but based on what you describe, it sounds like you suffered at least a mild concussion and perhaps other injuries.  You really should get checked out medically ASAP, just to make sure there are no hidden injuries.

Hey jagnweiner and Terier,

My thinking too. Get checked out. You could have disk damage from an impact like that and won't know it until things get worse. Have a good doctor check it out and if you get the o.k. then relax.
Quite possible that in an impact like that could cause a concussion like jagnweiner mentioned. Could have happened even if minor. While I am not one wanting to run to a lawyer after an accident and just want things set straight as reasonably possible, medical problems can get expensive and a few tests to make sure things are as they should be after an accident are in order.

Sorry for your troubles and hope all will be well.

CamperAL

Your vehicle could also have damage, especially if it is  unit body rather than body-on-frame construction. The rear end could be compressed slightly (unibody) or the rear frame extension tilted or twisted a bit. Get it checked (on the other person's dime, of course) at an frame alignment shop.  We had a Ford Probe years ago that suffered a rear-ender like that. Looked fine and drove ok, but a check showed the rear end was actually shortened by almost 0.5". They had to pull a lot of the interior upholstery out to see where the wrinkle was in the floor. A frame shop stretched in back into shape.

We were hit a few years ago and the insurance company REQUIRED the hitch and all related hardware to be replaced even though the only visible damage was a broken plastic insert that was where the ball and extension would normally be.  The recommended vehicle inspection are good ones as well as getting yourself checked out .

Many years ago my present wife had and accident, did not go to a Dr. and we just found the result.  It required spine surgery to repair so you can't be too careful!!!

Terier, you also could have whiplash and you might not really feel it for a day or so, and then you might wish you had some pills to relieve pain.  I still have occasional bouts when a muscle goes into spasm - caused by a 1964 rear-end crash.  I agree.  Go get yourself checked out as well as your vehicle.

ArdraF

I went to have the hitch looked at the dealership and quickly found the sore spot on my head as I leaned against the headrest.  Also been very sleepy all day but then I'm still recovering from Black Friday weekend.  Due to the high winds I didn't much sleep last night.

After reading everyone's concerns I'm getting everything checked out including myself.  I was not able to get a doctor appointment today but spoke with my doctor on the phone and have an appointment first thing in the morning.  While it seems I'm doing OK he is concerned about the blackout period.  When asked about the estimated speed my answer would be somewhere between 0-60 mph because I don't remember if traffic was moving or not.  I was able to find out through the other driver's insurance company that she said the traffic was slowing down when the accident occurred.  Also my doctor said for now it would be not to do any freeway driving unless I have someone else with me.

So far the other insurance company been helpful and accepts full responsibility.  My truck & hitch will be check out next week.  My dealership said the hitch is fine but it wouldn't hurt to have another opinion especially with a more detailed check.  I thought the hitch was pushed about 1/2 inch further into the receiver but those marking seem to be from my sister's Yukon and not the accident.

Since the impact was directly on the hitch and not at all on the bumper could this be the reason the air bag did not pop out?  Or maybe we were going very slowly too...

Here's a little tip from my days in the Air Force as a claims officer.  When we adjudicated claims against the AF if our folks caused an accident on duty, we tried to follow pretty closely with what a commercial insurance adjuster would do.  For injuries, claims adjusters will normally pay the actual cost of your medical treatment, including exams.  If your health insurance paid, your insurer can recover that from the driver's insurer.  Additionally, the adjuster will normally be willing to pay approx. 3 times the amount of your medical bills to compensate for pain and suffering.  Of course, they should also pay for any damage to your vehicle, including replacement of the hitch if necessary.  Keep that in mind when negotiating.  They will start lower, but usually be willing to go to that 3x amount.

When my family got rear ended by a  teenager, we where able to easily negotiate a settlement along those lines.  (It might have helped that I mentioned I was a lawyer)  Wait until you are fully recovered and done with medical treatment before agreeing on a final amount for injuries.  They can settle the claim for vehicle damage separately.

Update:
I went to the doctor and I do have an concussion.  Got a CT scan done after waiting over two hours in the waiting room just to schedule an appointment.  Good news is that my eye sight seems to be returning to normal.  Turns out where my head was hurting is the area that control eye sight.  I'm still taking many naps throughout the day.  I do see some improvement with concentration or focusing but it takes a lot more effort than it did before the accident.  Loud noise or fast moving objects still brother me a lot.

As I look back I just didn't realize I was injured.  Some of my answers were based upon assuming something occurred rather than actual memory.  I remember a second or less of feeling the impact followed by a quick period of missing time including not remembering being pushed forward.  I assumed I hit the headrest because the back of my head was hurting rather than actually remembering it.  Add in the eye sight change,  not be able to focus, and being sleepy frequently it was a little more than being shaken by the accident.

So glad you guys spoke up and recommended seeking medical attention.  Thanks for caring!

Terier-

Glad you're getting the medical care you need.  Take it real slow and don't try to rush your recovery.

Update:

I returned back to work yesterday and could had kill for a nap a couple of times.  Overall it was good to get back to a normal routine.  As I am doing more of my regular stuff it seems to be helping.

I met with the other driver's insurance company while a bodyshop looked my truck over.  Of course the insurance company reviewed what I could expect to be reimbursed right now and offered to close the case if I wanted to.  Of course my answer was no.  I wished I had watch the guy checking out truck.  While he agree that the bumper was out of alignment and the bed cover needed adjusting so it could close easily I just don't have a feeling it was a detailed check.  In fact from what he said and didn't say it didn't sound like he use a real measuring device such as laser or tape measure.  The guy today said he would give me the actual estimate tomorrow.

He mentioned a couple of times that my hitch is so big.  I wonder what he was expecting to see...

I'm having my truck looked at another shop tomorrow - one that I selected so I can compare information.  Then taking it on Friday to a third shop that bluff out some slight scratches a while back without charging me.  I can't say there's anything wrong with the first shop but for the fact the insurance company has an offer there has me wondering.  From what I understand this is common but I'm still not use to it.

Back to the insurance lady - they are paying me for the three days I was off work.  I was thinking about taking them as unpaid days with my employer so I can keep the 24 hrs sick leave on the books.  The way my dad's health the hours might come in handy someday.

Time to call it a night as I need to finish that DMV accident report.  I had a hard time writing the other night and used write-out 4 times in the same spot.  Just couldn't make it past the second letter.

On Wednesday I had the truck checked out for damages at the bodyshop that the other insurance company had set up.  The report should had been ready yesterday and it still not authorize yet.  I finally made contact with the adjuster and was informed that Progressive will not approve the estimate with the bumper and tonneau cover included because there were no markings on the bumper; therefore, how do they know the misalignment's were from the accident.  What was approved was the hit ball rubber cover to be replaced ($8). 

The place that installed my tonneau cover already adjusted it which took just a few minutes if you count the time it took to get the screwdriver.  The impact shifted the rail slightly.  The guy said that on my truck the bumper and hitch share the same bracket so it could be possible for the bumper to shift with an impact to the hitch.

My head (concussion) is getting better but my left hand, elbow and upper arm tends to go numb many times thoughout the day.  Doctor thinks it could be a pinched nerve & ordered X-rays.  The x-ray tech kept coming back to take more pictures.  On the final pose I had to tilt my head back and while doing so my arm went very numb.  Afterwards I had discomfort in my neck & shoulders which has continued into today.  It feels like my neck & shoulders are smashed together.  I ended up cancelling tomorrow's appointment to drop my trailer off for maintain work so that I wouldn't strain  my neck more while hitching up.

It's time to get my insurance company involved since the other team will not play nice especially with my low $50 deductable. 

Still no cooperation from insurance company on this matter.  The guy did say I could take the truck in and get the bumper removed and they would come over and inspect it to see if the accident did cause the bumper, bed, and cover to shift over.  Of course this be on my dime unless they accept responsibility. 

Gee- I saved them money but not using 911 services but I have to pay for the bumper to be removed?

Good news:  I was able to get a document from Progressive listing their driver as being 100% at fault.  This document should come in handy if I go through my insurance company.

I can't wait until I have recovered more so I can get ready for a good ole tug-of-war with this company.

pricejh said:
I think it is time to get a lawyer involved.  If Progressive balks at anything, then you need representation.

He's so right....remember they have lawyers & they will do all they can to minimize their,ins co.,liability..which means $$ out of your pocket..

I haven't rule out getting a lawyer but need to take a step back and sort things out.  Right now I think I'm on the right path for getting my truck taken care of.  I am using my insurance company (Allstate) to get my truck taken care of and letting them go after Progressive for repayment.  The truck is schedule to go into the auto body shop on Monday and I will be off work on winter break which will help if anything comes up.  My first choice of shops happened to be on Allstate's preferred list which made arrangements easy.  This shop came highly recommended with doing high end work so I had stopped by after visiting Progressive shop of choice. 

BTW- my shop guy was surprised that Progressive denied that any damage did happend from the accident - his response was "Didn't they see the bumper?".  He remembers that the bumper & bed had shifted to the right side.  I explained that  Progressive has accepted liability but not responsibility.  I am looking forward to finding out what if any hidden damage did occur and especially getting my truck back to new status again.    It feels good to have someone on my side with this matter.

Once again, I truly appreciate the feedback here.

Terier said:
I haven't rule out getting a lawyer but need to take a step back and sort things out.  Right now I think I'm on the right path for getting my truck taken care of.  I am using my insurance company (Allstate) to get my truck taken care of and letting them go after Progressive for repayment.  The truck is schedule to go into the auto body shop on Monday and I will be off work on winter break which will help if anything comes up.  My first choice of shops happened to be on Allstate's preferred list which made arrangements easy.  This shop came highly recommended with doing high end work so I had stopped by after visiting Progressive shop of choice. 

BTW- my shop guy was surprised that Progressive denied that any damage did happend from the accident - his response was "Didn't they see the bumper?".  He remembers that the bumper & bed had shifted to the right side.  I explained that  Progressive has accepted liability but not responsibility.  I am looking forward to finding out what if any hidden damage did occur and especially getting my truck back to new status again.    It feels good to have someone on my side with this matter.

Once again, I truly appreciate the feedback here.

Got a rental?  If not, submit that as part of the claim.  Progressive should also reimburse for the rental costs.  Their rates are about $35/day.  We went through that with Gieco last summer because of the hail damage to both vehicles. 

pricejh said:
Got a rental?  If not, submit that as part of the claim.  Progressive should also reimburse for the rental costs.  Their rates are about $35/day.  We went through that with Gieco last summer because of the hail damage to both vehicles.

Update:
I ended up going through my insurance company and they were in agreement about getting the truck inspected for possible frame damage and getting it repaired.  Turns out that my first choice of auto body shops were on Allstate's list which means life time warranty on work done.  It felt good to have someone on my side taking care of the truck whether or not the damages were big or small.

My truck was inspected per specs as well as for damage to the frame.  The good news is that there wasn't any damage to the frame.  The bumper has been reinstalled and now its straight & even on both sides, the bed liner is straight and the tonneau cover can completely close again.  And the hitch got a clean bill of health too and the body shop is touching it up the scrapes marks with spray paint to make it look new again.

In a week or two I will be dropping the trailer off at the service department for maintenance work and now I can have peace of mind when towing.  This trip will be a good starter for towing after the accident.

I'm also seeing improvement with being able to concentrate more and still dealing with the other medical issues but think with time they will go away too. 

I will be picking up my truck later today.  I didn't realize how use to the truck I had become until driving around town in a small rental car.  Being in a small car took some adjusting to being closer to the ground.  While I will be submitting the car rental for repayment I wanted to keep costs down since it is coming out of pocket on my side right now.  They gave me Allstate rates which helps.  Next time I know not to go smaller than a Camry.  :D

It been about 6 weeks since the minor accident and my eye sight still have not returned back to normal.  The problem is with my reading eye (left eye).  At my follow up visit couple of weeks ago my primary care doctor suggested giving it more time before making an appointment with my eye doctor.  I held out as long as I could before seeing my eye doctor yesterday.  When I explained how extremely dry my eyes were and having trouble removing my contacts the doctor said the nerve could had been affected by the accident.  I see a possible connection here - problems with left eye, left arm & left hand.

Temporary or not the correction I need in my left eye has changed .50 which is a good amount considering it only been about 2 months since my visit/new contact.  I will be submitting the $98 charge for the new len to my insurance company.

On another note the htich was removed from the truck.  I have to say that I miss using it as a guide when using the backup camera.

Back
Top Bottom