Hitchball question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NewCamperguy

Hello,
I am asking this again in here because I need advice fast!! I am going to look at a trailer tomorrow and I don't know the hitch size for the ball. I talked to the seller and they have no idea. Dutchman said that it is a  2" 1/8" but I cannot find that size ball anywhere. I talked to my friend who knows allot about campers and he said that does not sound right and he said it is probably a 2" 5/16 " or 2" 5/8".  So if anyone can help me, I would really appreciate it greatly! This is a 1998 22ft Dutchman. Thanks

Trailer balls are 1-7/8", 2", and 2-5/16". There are also 1" and 3". There is no 2-1/8" but some have a 2-1/8" long shank. Your trailer will most likely either have a 2" or a 2-5/16" ball mount. 2" balls have a weight rating of up to 8000 pounds, and 2-5/16" balls have a weight rating up to 30,000 pounds.

As waterdog says, there are three standard ball  sizes and 2 1/8" isn't one of them. I wonder if Dutchman quoted the shaft size rather than the ball size? In any case, it should be engraved into the coupler mechanism when you get there.

Thank you! I myself thought it was odd, but this is the info I got back from them? My buddy has one of these http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=reese+triple+ball+mount&hl=en&client=safari&rls=en&prmd=ivns&biw=1677&bih=832&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=3318529402799703705&sa=X&ei=y0yhTb6UI8PA0QG-5Z2UBQ&ved=0CEUQ8wIwAA#ps-sellers, so this should hopefully work! Thanks for all the friendly replies!

I just bough a 22 ft prowler and it has a 2 5/16  also bought the largest shaft  i could find

NewCamperguy said:
Thank you! I myself thought it was odd, but this is the info I got back from them? My buddy has one of these http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=reese+triple+ball+mount&hl=en&client=safari&rls=en&prmd=ivns&biw=1677&bih=832&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=3318529402799703705&sa=X&ei=y0yhTb6UI8PA0QG-5Z2UBQ&ved=0CEUQ8wIwAA#ps-sellers, so this should hopefully work! Thanks for all the friendly replies!

Be sure you know the trailer weight. The ball mount you are looking at is only rated to 6000 pounds. Usually a good rule of thumb is that if it reqires a 2-5/16" ball, then the ball mount should be a solid bar (not hollow).

Back
Top Bottom