Hocking Hills, OH

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jlhog

We are heading there next week. Any suggestions of what to see and do? We have researched and looked at the visitors guides, but looking for things that others have discovered on their own. Not into tourist trap kind of places. TIA

Hocking Hills SP is unique in that it has several areas that are part of the SP, but are not connected.. there’s private property between and you will drive on state highways and/or county roads to get from one to the other. The roads are hilly and curvy and are well maintained, so are popular with motorcyclists and sports car clubs. (Last time I was there a Shelby Cobra club was cruising around… probably a couple of dozen.)
Old Man’s Cave is the most popular area. If touristy isn’t your thing, avoid that. (I should also say that this time of year, even that isn’t going to be very crowded.)
My favorite areas are Conkles Hollow, Ash Cave, Rock House, and Cedar Falls. Conkles Hollow has a loop trail around the rim that’s got nice views. Ash Cave and Rock House are similar enough that if you’re short on time, pick one; but if you have the time, hit ‘em both. You can go to both the top and bottom of Cedar Falls. They’re both worthwhile.
The Inn at Cedar Falls is a private establishment that has nice lodging (a lodge as well as cabins) if needed. They also have a fine restaurant… it’s small, so reservations are a good idea.
The SP lodge had an excellent restaurant, too. It burned down and was rebuilt since I was last there, but I would expect they are equal, or better, quality as before.
We got a 38’ class A into the SP campground there, but it wasn’t easy and getting level was a lesson in engineering.
Be careful of icy areas. The rocky ground there seeps a lot of water that makes beautiful frozen mini falls. It’s a very hilly and wooded landscape so some areas are constantly shady… I wouldn’t be surprised if there’s places still iced over.
Have a great time and let us know your impressions.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fth
Back
Top Bottom