Home Solar

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I had no idea it worked that way. I assumed I would get two bills, one from PG&E and the other from the solar company. Not that it makes any difference to me.

Did you install your own solar system? Anyway, you need to subtract those costs when you compare your credit to your friend's system. I assume it will take several years for it to equal out. And then after you start saving.

Since my system is rented, not owned, I assume I won't have to pay for a new battery ever. But maybe I do. I didn't really read the contract and other paperwork all that well. IAC, I figure I cannot get ripped off much more than I do from PG & E.

But IAC, a seven-year warranty sounds reasonable to me. You should expect it to last a lot longer than the warranty, just as do most items, but with a few exceptions.

-Don- Reno, NV
Yes I did purchase my system outright and did the install myself.
I was using our numbers simply as an example of how the system works.
There are a lot of caveats to either system, so buyer beware and educate yourself on the process.

There are a lot of caveats to either system, so buyer beware and educate yourself on the process.
Kinda what I assumed. But I will be learning the hard way. The inspectors just came here today and signed it all off.

Shortly after they left, I was told with a message on email it will take 30 days to get this new system Intergrated into PG&E's paperwork. I assume that means when I start to get a single bill covering both, PG&E as well as the solar system I am renting.

Now at 1433 hrs, I am only getting 2.91 KW from the solar system. It is overcast here today, so I guess that isn't too bad.

I just now watched it go to zero for around 2 seconds and then up to 3.81 KW as if something just rebooted or something. Do you have any idea what that was about? Just trying to figure out what I am seeing. 61°F up on the roof today. I received 139 KWHs since it first went online on April 17, late in the afternoon. But I got 2KWH gain even on that day. The app shows me day by day the KWH I am getting from the system. Only 12.8 KWH so far today.

Now, I am down to 1.54 KW at 1444 hrs.

-Don- Auburn, CA

. How much square footage of panels do you have?
Today, they (V3 technology) gave me a rather large booklet about my system including the specs. V3 had to be here for the final city inspection.

It says:

4,050 watts (And I really do get that on a bright sunny day).
ten solar modules, each weigh 48.5 lbs.

total weight: 485 lbs

rack weight: 27.5 lbs

total weight added to roof: 512.5 lbs.

Area of displacement: 226 SF.

And near endless other info. Enough to answer any technical questions about the system and then some.

-Don- Auburn, CA

I spoke with a guy hawking solar panels for my house. They would install them for free and guaranty that their rate would be 15% lower than the uiility company we currently use for 1 year. When asked what happened after 1 year he said that we would be charged the going rate, "that would be less than the local utility rate".
When asked if he would guaranty that it would be lower than the local utilities rates for the duration of the contract, he said that wasn't possible.

Nuff said. We sent him packing.

Safe travels and all the best.

I spoke with a guy hawking solar panels for my house. They would install them for free and guaranty that their rate would be 15% lower than the uiility company we currently use for 1 year. When asked what happened after 1 year he said that we would be charged the going rate, "that would be less than the local utility rate".
When asked if he would guaranty that it would be lower than the local utilities rates for the duration of the contract, he said that wasn't possible.

Nuff said. We sent him packing.

Safe travels and all the best.
I am not too concerned with the cost or if I will save a dollar or two. Could even cost me a bit more. I am more into it for the battery backup when the power goes out here. And I just feel better giving less money to PG&E yet more to the solar company.

I also like the idea of clean energy and reducing the strain on PG&E grid by a few KWHs per day.

But when I get my first bills, I will post the info here and see how it compares.

-Don- Auburn, CA

I also like the idea of clean energy
Currently, about 90% of end-of-life or defective solar panels also end up in landfills, largely because it costs far less to dump them than to recycle them.

I guess that's someone else's problem.

I too have challenged the door to door solar panel huckster's numbers and the one that always gets them is lost opportunity. Like I've got $20K or whatever just sitting around waiting to save $25 month or whatever on my net energy costs. Throw in periodic maintenance, inevitable repairs and replacement of inverters and control equipment and I would be surprised if after 10 years it's breaking even. Once you hit 20 years panel output is declining. But, this finance model bets statistically you won't even live there long enough to break even much less any sweet spot between 8 to 15 years out. They made their money and now it's up to you to keep all the balls in the air.

Eyes wide open on DonTom's part, he has no pecuniary expectation so it's strictly amusement. But even then I would be reading the fine print on how to get out of this rental in the event the house is to be sold. Even though you don't anticipate that soon, it's inevitable and the last thing you want is a lien or contract that needs to be satisfied before a sale can go through. Guessing especially in CA an existing solar system might want to be acquired by a new owner but this homeowner considers them a liability even if it's free.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

Currently, about 90% of end-of-life or defective solar panels also end up in landfills, largely because it costs far less to dump them than to recycle them.
Probably not in CA. Using dumps are extremely expensive here, and especially more for some items. See here.

I doubt if I will ever sell this house. Or my Reno house. Both have an advantage. No HOA here. No state income tax in NV, which is my primary residence for such. But my Reno house is in a HOA.

I expect to leave things as they are until I can't, such as until I drop dead or whatever. Or can no longer drive between the houses are something like that.

-Don- Auburn, CA

I have 12 solar panels on my roof.,I own them. I go to FL for over 6 months and 5 or so months in NH.
My electric bill use to run about $150.00 before getting the panels. My bill now is no more than $13.00 a month. They tell me it a user fee because I am using their grid to send my power to them. At the end of the year if I have 600 or more KWH, they pay me for that power whatever the rate is that day.
Initially, the quote was $12,500.00. I got $3000.00 federal tax credit for one year.
Also the NH Public Utilities Commission sent me a check of $3500.00. So it ended up costing me $6000.00.
I’ve had them for about 8 years. Only had to replace one panel so far. It shattered and I don’t know why.
I don’t have a battery bank because I installed a backup generator. Power goes out and it starts automatically. Runs off propane.

I also have a solar hot water system. I have free hot water from the end of February, if they are not snow covered, till the end of November. I have a 80 gallon storage tank and have had that water up to 170F degrees many times. I don’t let it go any higher than that.
Pictures are my electric solar, hot water solar and my standby generator.

Attachments

• IMG_0386.jpeg
    IMG_0386.jpeg
    218 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0384.jpeg
    IMG_0384.jpeg
    184.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0383.jpeg
    IMG_0383.jpeg
    184.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0381.jpeg
    IMG_0381.jpeg
    189 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0941.jpeg
    IMG_0941.jpeg
    177.4 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_0940.jpeg
    IMG_0940.jpeg
    76.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I have 12 solar panels on my roof.,I own them. I go to FL for over 6 months and 5 or so months in NH.
My electric bill use to run about $150.00 before getting the panels. My bill now is no more than $13.00 a month. They tell me it a user fee because I am using their grid to send my power to them. At the end of the year if I have 600 or more KWH, they pay me for that power whatever the rate is that day.
Initially, the quote was $12,500.00. I got $3000.00 federal tax credit for one year.
Also the NH Public Utilities Commission sent me a check of $3500.00. So it ended up costing me $6000.00.
I’ve had them for about 8 years. Only had to replace one panel so far. It shattered and I don’t know why.
I don’t have a battery bank because I installed a backup generator. Power goes out and it starts automatically. Runs off propane.

I also have a solar hot water system. I have free hot water from the end of February, if they are not snow covered, till the end of November. I have a 80 gallon storage tank and have had that water up to 170F degrees many times. I don’t let it go any higher than that.
Pictures are my electric solar, hot water solar and my standby generator.
Very well done! I would have jumped on the opportunity if I had the pricing and rebates you took advantage of...
Best of luck with the overall system, you seem to have not only come up with a very efficient system, but at a very attractive cost as well.

All the best .

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom