Hooking up utility trailer to truck... problems with brake/signal lights

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Squirrel

I wonder if anyone in here might have an idea as to what needs to be done to make the brake lights and signal lights operate properly?

I remember my dad used to have the same problem, fighting with the wiring to get the signal lights to respond appropriately to the signal switch in the vehicle.  Now we're having the same problem hooking up our utility trailer to our Suburban. 

Anyone with knowledge in this area I can talk to?

Check for blown fuses first, then look at the wiring at this link  http://www.etrailer.com/faq-wiring.aspx  and make sure both ends are wired right.  Also look for corroded wires in the back of the ends.

You didn't really say what specifically was happening (or not happening), but a common problem is many times utility trailers do not have a separate ground wire and depend on the metal-to-metal contact of the hitch to supply a ground.  Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.  Make sure you have a ground between your truck and trailer.

Sorry, I didn't explain much.  Was just feeling out whether or not anyone on this site could potentially help.  Wasn't sure questions about utility trailers were applicable on an RV site, but maybe a trailer is a trailer after all.

There are four wires involved.  The ground wire is ground to the trailer hitch arm as it naturally seems to want to reach that far.  When I step on the brake, we get no brake lights on the trailer.  When I turn on the left or right signal, we get both lights on the back of the trailer blinking.

Oops!  Hubby wants me outside to try something again.  If that fails, I may have more detail.

Yeah, it failed still, and no more detail.  Dunno what we're doing wrong... and dunno how to do it right, either.

Does you Suburban have a separate bulb for turn signal and brake light?  If so you will need an adapter to make the trailer lights work correctly.

Paul

Typical wiring...

Brown is tailights
Green is right turn signal
Yellow is left turn signal
White is ground

Is the Suburban plug factory wired or has the plug been added?

Paul & Ann said:
Does you Suburban have a separate bulb for turn signal and brake light?  If so you will need an adapter to make the trailer lights work correctly.

Paul

Thank you, Paul.  This makes sense and I suspect this is the case.  Hubby's headed in to town now to talk to someone about an adapter.

Thank you, everyone, for your input!

Squirrel said:
Thank you, Paul.  This makes sense and I suspect this is the case.  Hubby's headed in to town now to talk to someone about an adapter.

Thank you, everyone, for your input!

I suspect you may want something like THIS.  The same company has an array of adapters for the purpose.  See THESE.  Such adapters are widely sold.

Or he may need something like this.  I had to get one similar to these to connect my tow dolly properly to my 2005 Winnebago.

http://www.wiringproducts.com/contents/en-us/d141.html

Paul

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dhoehn02
Back
Top Bottom