Hot converter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rvers

We recently viewed a 1994 Winnebago Elante 34', during the coach inspection I noticed that the converter was running very hot including the wiring.  The lights kept going on and off and we were not able to turn the appliances on.  We also noticed that 2 coach batteries were 2 regular 12V starter batteries.  Could someone diagnose this symptom. 
The Elante is in beautiful shape with only 44,000 km and I would hate to walk away from it if it is only a small electrical fix or is it something more sinister?  Thanks in advance.
Canuck Fred

Two possibilities.

1: Batteries very very very low.. Starting batteries are designed to suck/provide high current. (But still should not be sucking that much unless State of charge is like 10%)

2: A short.. Suspect 1 is ... Those batteries. but other possibilities come to mind

Have the battereies tested as the first step in diagnoisis

In any case it is technically a "Small electrical fix" though if it's not the batteries FINDING it may cause you to skip a few trips to the barber shop (Cause you'll have torn your hair out)

Second: What converter do you have? 

I too would suspect the starter batteries. They are designed to produce a higher output for starting and have fewer plates than a deep cycle battery.

I would start with changing out the starter batteries with 2 new deep cycle batteries. They will still produce the power that you need and are a low voltage battery that will last much longer and still provide the power that you need. The converter will run cooler as well.

Check in the libary here to understand how batteries work in either paraell or series to gain a better understand of how batteries work and why.

Good Luck and Happy Trails

Finding out the make/model of converter would be good too.  There are more reputable brands than others out there.  If it came down to 2 new deep cycle batteries and a new/rebuilt quality converter, you'd be looking at around $300-400 depending on where you shop.

[quote author=Backdraft161]
I too would suspect the starter batteries. They are designed to produce a higher output for starting and have fewer plates than a deep cycle battery.[/quote]

That would be high output current, not a higher output voltage.

I would start with changing out the starter batteries with 2 new deep cycle batteries. They will still produce the power that you need and are a low voltage battery that will last much longer and still provide the power that you need. The converter will run cooler as well.

Can you explain the rationale behind these two statements?

To determine if it is the batteries or the converter, disconnect the batteries and see if your inside lights and appliances work.  You can disconnect the batteries by lifting the heavy ground (black) wire. Make sure the batteries are completely out of the circuit.

If your lights and appliances work then the converter is fine, let it run awhile and see if it gets hot.  If the converter is putting out with no Batteries connected then it is either incorrect wiring or shorted cell(s) in the battery(s).

Having starter batteries in place of Deep Cycle will reduce your boondocking time but will cause no other problems.  It is obvious that someone changed the batteries and I would suspect that they are not connected properly especially if he changed 6 volt Deep Cycle batteries with 12 volt Starter Batteries.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tensch
Back
Top Bottom