Hot Water Heater 110v switch

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RGrimm

Ref: 2006 Journey 34H

Does anyone know if the 110vac Hot Water Heater switch has a light in it that comes on when the switch is on?

My switch is at the top of the control center (see photo below) and the actual toggle switch part looks somewhat transparent like it is suppose to light up when on.

Also - How does the switch bezel come off to expose the screws that mount the switch assembly. My bezel seems to lift out along the bottom of the switch, but the top doesn't seem to move at all when I try to get my finger nail under it. I don't want to break it (the bezel) by attempting to pry it off.

Thanks,
-Russ

Attachments

• HW Heater Switch1.JPG
    HW Heater Switch1.JPG
    61 KB · Views: 56
Mine has that switch and the light comes on.  Comes on even if I am not plugged in.  Go figure.

kenb1023 said:
......... Comes on even if I am not plugged in.  Go figure.
Interesting. I just assumed that the switch was 110volts, but maybe it is switching 12 volts to a Relay to turn on the 110vac heating element. I suppose that would make more sense. 

I still need to figure out if the bezel just prys off or not so I can see if the light is replaceable or I have to replace the entire switch?

I can't answer about the lighted question, but otherwise it looks very similar to my all black switches

On mine, the black bezel pops off revealing screws.

Well I 'persuaded' the bezel to come off .... they push onto 2 plastic pins on the switch mount. One of my pins released and one broke off. The switch is a typical ON/OFF switch with 3 wires - a 12v supply, the switched 12v wire going to the relay that turns on the electric side of the hot water heater and the third wire (white) is a ground on the one side of the built light.

So the light in my switch is bad. I have ordered a new switch and new bezel.

Thanks everyone.

-Russ

Attachments

• HTR Switch.jpg
    HTR Switch.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 29
Just fyi, if you remove the One Place panel you should be able to release the catches holding the switch in place without touching the bezel.  Replacement of the new switch is the same.

cbeierl said:
Just fyi, if you remove the One Place panel you should be able to release the catches holding the switch in place without touching the bezel.  Replacement of the new switch is the same.

Yes,  I probably could have pushed the actual switch out from the back as I now see that it has tabs and pushes into the base plate that is screwed to the One Place board.

Attachments

• base1.jpg
    base1.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 25
  • bezel.jpg
    bezel.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 18
These things are famous for burning out lights. While you are in there you might want to drop a diode or two in series to drop the voltage to the lamp so you're not back doing this again

Pic of install, note I used a green LED instead of the red one my link was for.

Attachments

• P1030032.jpg
    P1030032.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 43
Yes, nice looking install on the LED.  I like your solution.

SO ...... When (not if) the lite in the new switch dies I will use you solution of an external LED.

I guess our switches are in opposite of each other. Your LED is lit and it appears the bottom of your switch is depressed.  That is the OFF position for my switch. I press the top of the switch to turn on the hot water heater on.

Has anyone added lighting to light up the Control Center area?  I have a hard time seeing the room temp on the Thermostat display. My Thermostat is towards the my control center, so it is not close to being eye level. The thermostat display does have a backlight, but it only comes on for a short time if I press the set temp up or down buttons and once I do that I have to wait for it to go back to displaying the Room Temp. I do have a small light mounting in the ceiling, but it does nothing to light up the thermostat display.  I wished there was a way to have the thermostat display's backlight to stay lit all the time.

Russ

RGrimm said:

SO ...... When (not if) the lite in the new switch dies I will use you solution of an external LED.

I guess our switches are in opposite of each other. Your LED is lit and it appears the bottom of your switch is depressed.  That is the OFF position for my switch. I press the top of the switch to turn on the hot water heater on.

Has anyone added lighting to light up the Control Center area?  I have a hard time seeing the room temp on the Thermostat display. My Thermostat is towards the my control center, so it is not close to being eye level. The thermostat display does have a backlight, but it only comes on for a short time if I press the set temp up or down buttons and once I do that I have to wait for it to go back to displaying the Room Temp. I do have a small light mounting in the ceiling, but it does nothing to light up the thermostat display.  I wished there was a way to have the thermostat display's backlight to stay lit all the time.

Russ

I bought a flat key chain light like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/5Pcs-Mini-Super-Bright-Light-LED-Camping-FlashLight-KeyRing-Keychain-Lamp-/121144834371?pt=US_Flashlights&hash=item1c34cb7943 and just leave it lay on the ledge at the bottom of the one place panel, easy to pickup to see the read out when needed. Works great at night if you need to see the readout. You can also find these lights at some of the Dollar stores.

howdymi said:
I bought a flat key chain light like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/5Pcs-Mini-Super-Bright-Light-LED-Camping-FlashLight-KeyRing-Keychain-Lamp-/121144834371?pt=US_Flashlights&hash=item1c34cb7943 and just leave it lay on the ledge at the bottom of the one place panel, easy to pickup to see the read out when needed. Works great at night if you need to see the readout. You can also find these lights at some of the Dollar stores.

That is a great ..... simple solution.

RGrimm said:

Russ
I replaced that Halogen fire hazard with a Starlights 280Lumen LED that's even brighter than the original, and essentially cold.  Next time I get to the Avionics shop I'm gonna look for an elevated instrumentation light. They cast a narrow red beam about 90degrees that might work without getting into the stat itself..

I put one of those stick on hockey puck battery operated LED lights above my panel.
One of those temporary things that will be there until it breaks.  ???
not the greatest, but works well enough to get by.

I like the aviation instrument panel light idea!

If anyone is interested, that switch for the water is part no: JR. 12045. It is available at many RV part stores, or online. eBay also has them. They run about ten dollars. The bulb inside is very small. It is not an LED, but looks like a neon bulb.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elvislivesontimbits
Back
Top Bottom