Hot water heater controller

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ADubois

Hi all
This last weekend I went camping and found out I couldn't get the gas hot water heater control valve to let me light the pilot. I got no propane at all. I'm curious if these things can be rebuilt or if it's even recommended to do so.

The information on the controller is this.
White Rodgers Model No. 37C14U-5
Atwood no. MPD-91043

It also says.
Equipped with a single gas shut off device. If circuit is open replace control.

Thank you for any help anyone has.
Alan

Alan,
Does your cooktop and/or furnace work? If they do, remove, inspect and clean the burner tube and pilot light tube. Something, like mud dauber wasps, may have tried to build something there. Don't know how long it's been sitting unused, but it may take several minutes for clean, viable propane to get to the pilot flame port. If it is the control, replacement is your only option. They can't and shouldn't be rebuilt for safety reasons.

Hi Karl
Yes the stove & furnace do work. The last camping trip was last August. I'll remove the tubes and see if their clear that will be easy enough. I know I couldn't even smell propane.

Alan

Well I took the lines off and found nothing wrong. While I had it apart I turned on the pilot for a second and propane came out. Now it works so either the controller wasn't working or there was a lot of air in there (at camp I held the pilot open for a long time). Is there a way to purge the system of air quickly without taking the lines loose? I've not had this problem before it has always light up fine.
Alan

EVen a cob web in the line could have been th culprit. Perhaps it was out of alignment.  Glad you got it working.

It can take ages for air in the LP line to bleed out through the tiny pilot burner - just have patience (and maybe a pad for your finger on the pilot valve, if it is spring loaded).  Lighting  the stove and fridge first helps get the gas flowing.

Hi - i have a 1970 Land Yacht with an Atwood MPD-91043 water heater. Works OK, but the pilot flame is sooty. The controller has an area on the face marked "pilot adjust", but nothing visible to adjust.

Anyone have a clue ?

Thanks

ADubois said:
It also says.
Equipped with a single gas shut off device. If circuit is open replace control.

I had a similar problem.  I replaced the control.  It worked.  8)

Back
Top Bottom