Hot Water Heater Problem - Gas Valve Not Opening

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I did what you suggested Lou. Cleaned the electrodes and set the gap ( 1st time too close and it wouldn't ignite ) 2nd time it ignited.....but now it doesn't shut off like before but keeps going on off every couple of seconds. There's a clicking in the solenoid as this happens. Now I'm even more puzzled. I already had that maual you suggested and have troubled shooted it the best I can given my limited equipment and knowledge.

The Atwood service manual says the ignitor will spark for 6-8 seconds, then 6-8 seconds of flame detection before shutdown.

but now it doesn't shut off like before but keeps going on off every couple of seconds.
Are you saying that once the burner has lighted and stays lit, it continues to spark on and off while heating the water?

If so, this seems to indicate that the flame was successfully detected but that the circuit board still has a fault in that it fails to turn off the 'sparker'. If the main burner flames also goes off and on (relights), then ....

Either way, this  probably means main circuit board replacement time; check out Dinosaur boards for replacements.

Thanks Stu. It's the burner that keeps reigniting every sec or two. I'll replace the board once I can find good parts store. In Sarasota fl right now but heading up to Tarpon Springs on Monday for a week. Hopefully there's one up that way.
There's a parts store here that I know has the part but I refuse to do business with him because he flipped out on me when I asked him a couple of questions on this subject...really rude

Double check and clean the connection of the detector wire to the main board for corrosion. You might try replacing the igniter/flame detector and see if that helps, a much cheaper fix. 

Thanks for all the input folks. It seems I have figured it out and have two problems. I borrowed a friends cicuit board which was identical to mine and the heater runs just fine so I know I need to replace that. I've always smelt a slight odor of propane in that area and have discovered that the solenoid isn't completely shutting off and is leaking propane.
  I went to Camping World and they only had a 300$ replacement board available which, to be honest, looked really cheesy with all the circuits open to the elements. He did say he could get a cheaper Dino board in about 4days. I asked whether the solenoid was servicable to which he said no...but I can get a replacement for a little over $200. So for 500+$ I would be set. I kindly refused his offer and proceeded to leave but noticed on a shelf what looked to be my heater for sale for just over 600$.
  Well to cut a long story short I went on E bay and found someone selling an identical heater as mine that was salvaged for 275$..complete whole heater. I'm now waiting for delivery....hope I made the right choice.
  PS...They say the heater has been tested and working fine.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
g-man911
Back
Top Bottom