Hot water tank Element

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

frederick

Hi
On  my 2000 Flair the first owner intalled a "hot rod element" in
the drain plug location.  I guess the water can be heated by
this element instead of using the propane: either or.
Am I correct?
Is this a safe option that he added?
Thank you  :)

Fred from Pasco, WA.

Yep, used one for several years.  You can use the electric and propane at the same time.  Doing that, the propane will not be on much as the electric keeps it hot most of the time.

Rex

I don?t believe the heating element normally installs in the drain hole. There is normally an element hole available. If an element was installed in a non electric unit I?d wonder how it?s installed and controlled.

In a non-electric Atwood heater, the aftermarket electric heater installs in the drain plug hole and has a thermostat that is basically tied to the PT overflow valve, where it can get a good read on the internal temperature. It's really simple, ingenuous rather than ingenious, and works reliably. I had no qualms at all about operation or safety when we used on in our '88 Wilderness fifth wheel. Had it for two years before we traded the rig.

That?s good info Gary as I may have burnt my element by accidently having the heater on while winterizing my water system. My heater is under the sink with the element just about impossible to get at with this or other bodies. Don?t know if I can reach the connections to remove the unit either. BOY THE GOLDEN YEARS!

Hi
Thanks guys for the info on my water tank.  There's a switch plate
above the microwave for the water tank that the first owner installed.
On my first outing (two weeks ago) I just used the propane.  Will try
the other mode next time.

It looks like I'll have to remove the element every time to drain the tank
for winterizing.  Or is there another way to do drain it.  Thanks again  :)

Fred from Pasco, WA.

There's not likely another way since the element actually replaces the drain plug in these cases.

Back
Top Bottom