HOV lanes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I had a 67 Malibu with a 327. 308 rear end and a 4 speed. I could easily burry the needle
I owned a 1971 Malibu, 308, automatic. It ran great at sea level. All types of guts.

But I was lucky to get 40 MPH max with the pedal to the metal up a light hill at 6K' elevation.

Those in Florida would never even know, unless they took a very long drive in it to get to some mountains.

-Don- Auburn, CA

Last edited:
have to disagree with you about the 1960 cars not being able to maintain 75mph.
This is true- my 1960 Chevy with a 283 could hold 75 (and more) all day, but handling was not up to most cars today. But with the 80 mph speed limit on the Kansas Turnpike then I could stay at 75, or even 80, for as long as I wanted - legally, too. Even my folks' 55 Buick could do that just fine.

The original design specs for the Interstate Highway System called for sight lines, curve radii, etc. to support at least a 75 MPH average speed.
There are lots of areas on the Interstate that don't meet that (I-25 in Denver before a rebuild a few years back, even a few spots today) and Kansas City through town (the bypasses are different), to name a couple. And, of course, many places on I-70 through the Rockies are such that it would have been cost-prohibitive (perhaps impossible) to meet those criteria.

But most of the Interstate highways ARE that way through the midwest and west, somewhat less in the northeast.

But I was lucky to get 40 MPH max with the pedal to the medal up a light hill at 6K' elevation.

Most any non-turbocharged cars lose a lot of power at those elevations, but my 1960 Chevy could keep it up. Also, though, in those days there were very few places in the Rockies where the road itself would support 65 mph, let alone higher, on those steep grades. Even today, it's mostly SOME Interstate sections through there that 65+ is viable for more than a very short distance.

Really, Florida speed limits were ignored by most--more so than any state I have been in. Don't they enforce speed limits in Florida?
On the interstates & Fl Turnpike, not so much as long as traffic is flowing smoothly. The ones who get stopped are the aggressive drivers, weaving in & out. That seems reasonable to me.

There are some two lane roads that are noted for their speed traps, with rigorous enforcement by city or town police. Those are mostly in rural areas where drivers often fail to slow down when passing through small towns.

I must be part of the problem cause I haven't noticed that Florida is much different than other states.:giggle:

Hard and fast rules like that are hard to deal with in big cities, when lanes come and go. Try to stay in the right lane, and suddenly you see the sign that says, lane exits, or Lane Ends, and OOPS, I get to get over, or you're all the way in the right lane and you see that the road you want is going to exit to the left.
So, basically, the rule is PAY ATTENTION!!!
Some highways have a set of lanes for traffic that is going through the area, so they don't have to deal with all the other vehicles entering and exiting. Those are my favorite.

On the interstates & Fl Turnpike, not so much as long as traffic is flowing smoothly.
Yep, that was what I was referring to. I was wondering if the fact Florida's turnpike, being such a nice smooth road had something to do with it. Florida had the smoothest roads of the entire trip. I couldn't even feel the bump over the bridges in Florida. Higher speeds were so smooth there in my Class A.

The exact opposite of I-40 in AZ, the worst road of the trip, nonstop bumps all the way until NM, then it was road construction. At least NM is fixing I-40, unlike in AZ.

-Don- Auburn, CA

Also, though, in those days there were very few places in the Rockies where the road itself would support 65 mph, let alone higher, on those steep grades.
Near here, Donner Summit, is at 7,240' elevation. The road was always good for as long as I can remember.

But back in the 60's and early 70's all the cars couldn't go fast up there, were not capable.

In 1974 and later, there were a few cars that had MAP sensors and such but still used a carburetor, That's when a few larger V8 cars could go the speed limit (65MPH) up there.

But these days, perhaps any little car with a little four cylinder engine can go over the speed limit up there, as they are all EFI--or even better--EVs.

-Don- Auburn, CA

This is becoming more common. DOT has recognized that slow vehicles impeding the smooth flow of traffic are often the root cause of many accidents and police departments are responding accordingly.

As long as you are maintaining the flow of traffic, even above the posted limit, cops will leave you alone. It’s only when excessively speeding, or not keeping up with traffic so that people have to suddenly dodge to avoid you that cops will take notice. Basically, just follow the herd.

Kevin
Ya, but what are you going to do if you ever drive W. Texas insterstates where the speed limit is 85 mph and your MH tires have a maximum speed rating of 75 mph?

Ya, but what are you going to do if you ever drive W. Texas insterstates where the speed limit is 85 mph and your MH tires have a maximum speed rating of 75 mph?
85 is only on certain state highways.
Stay in the right lane, where ya should be. Texas has lower speed limits for heavy vehicles. Or they used to, been awhile since I’ve been there. 85 was for the toll roads, I think 70 on freeways, 60 for 16,000+ pounds. If you’re hanging out in the left lanes at 60 mph and blocking traffic, you may be having a conversation.

Kevin

85 is only on certain state highways.
Stay in the right lane, where ya should be. Texas has lower speed limits for heavy vehicles. Or they used to, been awhile since I’ve been there. 85 was for the toll roads, I think 70 on freeways, 60 for 16,000+ pounds. If you’re hanging out in the left lanes at 60 mph and blocking traffic, you may be having a conversation.

Kevin
A couple or 3 years ago the speed limit on I-20 west Dallas was 80mph. I stayed in the right lane and did 63.

We lived in San Antonio for 7 years. On two lane roads folks in front of you pull over onto the shoulder to allow you to pass safely. Have not experienced that in any other state.
I do that wherever the shoulder is wide and level enough, regardless of what state we’re in. I won’t let anybody push my speed up, but I’m well aware nobody wants to be stuck behind my pokey butt… I give ‘em every opportunity to get around I can.

Do what I do. Drive slower and save gas.. Just stick to the right lane.
(My Jeep gets a bit over 20 MPG at 75 MPH. close to 30 at 65 and nearly 40 at 55. So I drive 65 as the best comprimise between MPG and clogged tail pipe (What would clog the tail pipe??? The idiot rear ending you if you drive 55)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RVMan78
Back
Top Bottom