How are rising fuel prices affecting your 2011 plans?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Larry N. said:
If it is truly "around $40 to $60 a gallon" I doubt we are importing any. Perhaps you meant $40-$60 per barrel ($0.95 to $1.43 per gallon, at 42 gallons per barrel).

My bad.... your right of course!

There are lots of juicy writings out there, and I realize it's tempting to use these to make a point or support one's position. However, I need to remind our members that wholesale copying of content from other sources, unless you happen to be the author/copyright owner, is a violation of our forum rules. Click the Rules button above for what is acceptable under the 'fair use' provisions. Thanks.

There is an oil field (plastic) the size of Texas floating 1000 miles off the coast  of California.

I try to remember to consult Gas Buddy when I am traveling, so you can save some money here and there by paying attention. I believe you can sign up to contribute your live fuel price findings and win gas cards.  I haven't looked into that lately.

http://www.gasbuddy.com/gb_gastemperaturemap.aspx

My credit card offers those funny perks, you can choose from assorted gift cards with points earned, one of them is ordering up prepaid gas cards, so I wiped out all my points to get some gas cards.  At least I had enough for two tanks of gas, not shabby.  Well by the time I finish typing this, could be 1 tank of gas...

It's true, nobody buys an RV because they are hedging the fuel costs will plummet.

When I bought my motorhome over a year ago, the former owners claimed to be selling because of the fuel prices then...  At the time, I thought it was so sad.  But I was more than happy to cash in on their supposed woes.

I guess I better figure out what my MPG is.  Last time I went over the log book, I just did quick calculations on gas spent and miles driven, it was 30 cents a mile, guess I should figure a little more accurate and stick to MPG so I can sort of guesstimate my future trips.

Here are some websites I started using. If I have to get 50 or 60 gal. of diesel I figured it was worth doing a little research before I just go to the closest station. I just started looking at these sites and some of the prices are 24hr old but you can definitely see the trend regarding which stations are consistently higher. This time of year I can usually fill up around home so easy to save. On the road you wouldn't be able to tell the trend but could look at the local zip so at least you are not paying the highest price in town.
www.automotive.com/gas-prices
www.fuelmeup.com/
www.gasbuddy.com/
www.gaspricewatch.com/

Here is another for MSN auto that I have found to be fairly reliable for current diesel prices and that I like for the map that I can click and drag along the route to see the lowest prices.

On the subject of gas discount cards.......
I got a Visa from PenFed Credit Union. They give a 5% cash rebate on gas each month, 2% on groceries, 1% all other purchases. If you spend $1000 bucks on gas that's $50 bucks off. Pay it off each month and you're ahead of the game.
Its geared towards current or former military, but a small one-time donation to military family charities will get you a card.
We saved about $60 on our last big trip. Every little bit helps!

Here is another for MSN auto that I have found to be fairly reliable for current diesel prices and that I like for the map that I can click and drag along the route to see the lowest prices.

Good link Jeff, thanks. I hadn't found that one!  :)

mdbass said:
First; there go resale values again. Second; we Workamp, so we HAVE to go where we are hired. This season that means $100.00 plus added to our fuel costs. We had the motor gone over and ensured that everything was up to specs-including tire inflation-to eke out whtever mileage we can get. We always drive in the right lane and never exceed 65 mph-our Cummins seems to like that speed and RPM.
Update: we just made the central FL to Branson run. The MH ran like a striped ape. Fuel near Orlando and on turnpike was just over $4. We paid right around $3.80 a gallon for the trip. Turns out cheapest fuel was in Missouri (at the end of the run) $3.65.

Yep, D2 is at $4/gal here and I expect it to drift up another .10 to .15 cents as HO Futures push past $3.18.  One station has gotten mighty proud of their D2 and is sporting $4.43/gal.  Guess they really don't want to sell their fuel. 

We ran into $3.80 to $3.90 D2 on the way back from the Rockies.  I love driving through Missouri-cheeeeeeep(er) fuel.  By the time we got home a couple of days later D2 was solidly at $3.95+.  Peddled pretty slow on the way home.  55-60.  Stayed off the interstate (I-80) and hit the old national highways.  Actually a pleasant experience, but it did take twice as long...  It was nice not battling with lots of tractor trailers and the slower speeds allowed for better viewing/gawking. ;)  Got better overal mileage, but the stop and start in small towns didn't help.  Fortunately I have a six speed which allows me to short shift and coast when practical.

I was considering another trip in April, but with fuel at $4/gal and threatening to go higher, I'll probably just stay home.  I'm looking at consolidating future trips with other business as much as possible.  If fuel jumps to $5, there likely won't be any long trips.  We may elect to simply stay within a few hours of our base and take our sweet time coming and going.  If D2 hits $5+, travelling may be the least of my worries.

This summer will be our first summer with our coach.  As a matter of fact this summer will be our first summer with ANY coach.  Fortunately we live in Northern Nevada, right next to the Sierra's and the jewel of the Sierra's, Lake Tahoe.  We have several bookings for lake fronts on Tahoe and Frenchmans Reservoir.  Frenchmans is 26 miles from our driveway to the boat launch and adjacent campground.  Our fuel expense is still going to be reasonable.  Since we're first timers and newbee's to the motor home RV'ing world, we're actually going to do a few overnights at the Bordertown, RV park 3 miles from home.  Those are planned for before the Tahoe trips.  We figure they'll be good experimental trips/test runs, close to home to practice set and figure out if there's anything else we need to have on board.  Not obvious stuff like dishes, cooking stuff, etc.  Those little things that you don't realize are handy until you don't have them.

Other than getting me angrier and angrier, the rising cost of gas is not affecting me.  We are still leaving for a 5,000 round trip next month and will unless gas goes above $5 everywhere.  $5 is the point at which I will be too angry to go.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Happyone
Back
Top Bottom