How bad did I screw up my water heater??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

UtahMan84

OK so not what I wanted my first post to be, but I need a little help on a water heater.  So I have a Nash 17k I bought new in October of last year. Haven't taken it out till this weekend. I hooked up water and filled the water tank. We flipped on the electic water AND gas water heater thinking we had water in the tank. We did not. We flipped both on several times throughout the weekend and cursed the trailer gods for giving us a junk unit.  Well we are big dummies and didn't turn the bypass so no water was in the tanks.  I'm sure we burnt up the element, but how extensive of damage do you pros think I did to the tank?? Any help would be appreciated

Someone else posted this just a few days ago same situation you might search for it !

You can fill the tank with water and try each of the methods to heat it. The gas side might be fine but the electric side might be damaged. If so, it probably will be the heating element. That is an easy fix.

I did this twice on my first trailer, the electric element is toast for sure. If your a hands on person its an easy repair. You can get a replacement electric element at lowes/home depot for $12ish.

Not bad. As others have said, you very likely burned out the electric heat element, but that's an easy replacement and new elements are available at any home or plumbing store. They are not "RV' heater parts - it is a standard 1400 watt, screw in heater element. You will need a big socket and a socket wrench, though. The gas side should be fine.

Gary RV Roamer said:
Not bad. As others have said, you very likely burned out the electric heat element, but that's an easy replacement and new elements are available at any home or plumbing store. They are not "RV' heater parts - it is a standard 1400 watt, screw in heater element. You will need a big socket and a socket wrench, though. The gas side should be fine.

I know Home Depot also sells the socket in the same area as the elements.

When you get a new element make sure you get the 110V version and not the 220V one.  They look the same and sometimes get mixed up on the hooks in the store.

boatbuilder said:
When you get a new element make sure you get the 110V version and not the 220V one.  They look the same and sometimes get mixed up on the hooks in the store.

I went into the Home Depot Web Site and noticed that now, they have a 1500 watt/120 volt element and also a 2000watt/120 volt element for about the same price. I wonder if it would be worthwhile to get the larger of the two. Would it pose a problem of maybe overloading the RV circuit and tripping breakers more often.

The 1500 watt will draw about 13 amps and the 2000 watt unit will draw about 17 amps.  I doubt you will notice a difference, heat wise,  between the two with the small heater on an RV.  I would stick with the 1500 watt element myself.  Since power can be at a premium at times you will probably be glad you have the smaller unit.

boatbuilder said:
The 1500 watt will draw about 13 amps and the 2000 watt unit will draw about 17 amps.  I doubt you will notice a difference, heat wise,  between the two with the small heater on an RV.  I would stick with the 1500 watt element myself.  Since power can be at a premium at times you will probably be glad you have the smaller unit.

If you get the 2000, couldn't you just pinch the wire with a pair of vice grips to get less draw?  ;D :eek: :D ::)

No.  Vice grips will damage the insulation.  You need a pair of round jawed crimping pliers like you use to crimp off copper tubing.  ;D

boatbuilder said:
No.  Vice grips will damage the insulation.  You need a pair of round jawed crimping pliers like you use to crimp off copper tubing.  ;D

Got it. Thanks.  ;D

Back
Top Bottom