How big is too big for your first motor home?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishon71

Does it make sense to start out on the small size 24 - 27 feet or just jump in all the way and get a 35 -40 footer if you can find a deal? Seems there are a lot more deals on the big rigs and the difference to run can't be that much more extreme can it?

I don't like giving the state taxes more than I have too.  go with the larger rig, I believe you will be happier overtime.

Russ

Make your decision based on how you will use it.  Weekends in state parks would lead you to smaller, snowbirding/full-timing would lead you to bigger.  Its really more buying due to function rather than any other reason, as long as your budget can stand either choice.

We went from a slide in truck camper to a 35' diesel pusher....a quantum leap of sorts.  However, I spent tons of time researching and trying to figure out what we needed/wanted, so we decided to go for it.

Marsha~

I would recommend you start with a 45 footer minimum, they are heavy and less effected by passing traffic, making them very easy to drive. If you find you need more you can always trade up. ::)

Function as has been recommended.  Nothing worse than what lessons cost.  Buy small, need bigger,  We also went from a truck camper to a 35', but gas.  Nice size for us.  If I had the chance to get a 45' without the cost of that lesson, not even sure I would take it.  A 40' is nice, and National Parks typically have room for you.  Not all CG's, but most. 

Again, function is the key.  If weekends then smaller will do for a long time, you adapt.  On the road fulltime, go for the layout. 

One thing though, you almost need the wrong ones at first, just so you know what the right one is.

fishon71 said:
Does it make sense to start out on the small size 24 - 27 feet or just jump in all the way and get a 35 -40 footer if you can find a deal? Seems there are a lot more deals on the big rigs and the difference to run can't be that much more extreme can it?

I prefer smaller myself, as a part-timer. Less hassles finding a place to park it, and the smaller performs better.

But go with the size you're comfortable with, even being new to RV's . IMO, no matter what the size, it won't take long to get used to.

-Don- SF, CA​

Im shopping for my first RV and started out with reservations for anything beyond 20 or 21 feet first time around but after more research Im now considering a 24 footer mainly because you get more for the money and at 24 feet many of the basic accessories are included as standard. Im also learning there is no perfect RV, you have to choose sooner later so grab something beyond your expectations if finances allow to max your purchase as chances are you will be glad you did with time.

My family has always had RV's however just a few months ago I purchased my own.  A 38ft gas due to haveing 3 kids we needed the room, unfortunantly the DP's were out of our pricerange.

Like others stated get a layout that works for you.  We wanted one that could sleep at least 5 people comfortably so 35ft+ was our starting point.  We looked and drove gas & diesel but ended up with a new leftover 08 bounder 38p gasser.  My first trip in it we did a 5K mile trip out west & it's quite easy to drive. 

A good friend had a 42ft quad slide dp which was +4x's the cost of my coach.  He's 20yrs older then I am & got really tired of the size & also the difficuly of fitting in certain camping areas.  They plan on doing a class C under 31ft this time around.  It's just the 2 of them so they do not need all the room..... but my bet is he will quickly get tired of that I trade up to something bigger.

I would just go drive a few and feel for yourself what they feel like.  The DP's definantly do drive better & are easier with crosswinds and all that stuff but a newer gas coach does pretty well and has definantly narrowed that gap.  We just don't have the tq 

Since I was afraid I couldn't drive a big one and also didn't know if I would even like RVing, I bought an older class C 27ft.  It's just for daughter and I so I think it will work.  We shall see.  I drove a 40 ft diesel pusher and I was not comfortable at all.  I drove this one home and didn't feel much different then driving my truck pulling a flatbed trailer, length wise that is.  I may change my mind quickly after traveling a bit but we shall see. I think I want different mirrors then the ones on it, maybe.  But also I won't be driving at night, not much on that anymore, just daylight hours. 

I think one of the big nice new ones would be awesome.  If it were hubby too, he can drive one I would have considered it, but I doubt he will go much even after retiring.  That too we shall see.  So for now its just, Girls just wanta have fun, g i r l s just want to have fun!! ;D

go to any RV dealership and ask to test drive any you think you might be interested in.  that way you can judge for yourself what you are comfortable with.  We have a park model instead of a camper at one park, a stick built home for base and a 35' motorhome for the fishing and other trips.  I started out with the 35' class a for the motor home with 2 slides and it is perfect for us.  /we have 2 adults, my 14year old son and an eight year old daughter.  next week we are taking it to Nashville and Memphis with my motherinlaw and one of my son's friends.  that will be a little tight, can you imagine that in a lesser unit?

I recently bought a used 28', mainly because of being new to RVing and city regulations on parking.  I didn't want to have to rent parking for it when it wasn't in use.  We'll be taking our first trip in it in 2 days.  Only me, my wife and 2 small dogs.  We have spent alot of time in it preparing it for the trip and we can already tell that we would like something a little larger so we aren't tripping over each other as much.

We're keeping this one 1-2 years til we're prepared to pay for a newer RV and we figure that will give us time to have hands-on in an RV to decide what features are important to us. 

fishon71 said:
Does it make sense to start out on the small size 24 - 27 feet or just jump in all the way and get a 35 -40 footer if you can find a deal?

The 2nd one.  :)  Our MH (first one) is a 35 foot Class A, no slides.  I had driven a 28 foot Class C before and knew I did not want anything smaller than that, and boy am I glad we went bigger.  I really wanted a rear bedroom which you don't find much in anything under 30-32 feet.  We had 2 small boys at the time (now we have 3!) + a dog.  We've never looked at each other since then and thought, "I sure wish we had less open space in here!"  ;)

As above, if I were you, I'd go with the size and configuration you need now and in the foreseeable future. I hear that trading later can be an expensive lesson. FWIW, we started at 42' and 505 horses (no trade). Two days with Dick Reed's RV Driving School took care of the driving issues -- not really a problem.

scottydl said:
The 2nd one.  :)    We've never looked at each other since then and thought, "I sure wish we had less open space in here!"  ;)

Until you need to park it and you're eleven  too long.

I say 11 feet because mine is 11 feet shorter and wouldn't want it any longer. ;D

-Don- SSF, CA​

"How big is too big" is kind of like asking "How high is too high?" "How many kids are too many?" It's different for different people. Our first "RV" was a VW Vanagon, 35 years later we have a 28-foot Class A. How big is too big? Only you can answer that question for you.

Wendy

Rather than just size, you need to consider if the floor plan will work for you. Is the shower big enough? The toilet leave enough room, is the sink OK? How's the living area, kitchen, bedroom --- You could find a 40 footer than isn't as good for you as a 34 foot. It all depends on how it "fits" ;D

only problem with 36+ft is some camping areas you will not fit into

I think the extra room is a worthwhile trade......

drive.... drive.... drive  :)

Our first was a 40.  The first drive was to the RV School.  After 2 days we we felt comfortable driving in "most" situations.  In the last 2 summers,  we have spent 5 months traveling and absolutely love it.  Make sure you know what you want by asking questions, looking at a LOT of models and having a realistic view on how you will use it.
Good luck

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KEC
Back
Top Bottom