How did you learn to tow a vehicle behind your RV?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hi,

Can't even remember the first time I towed but 30 years or so back use to tow a trailer to haul mowers and tiller for gardening. When I got my towing set up for our car and RV, I just jumped in and went. The place that installed the system for me, went though things and took things off and watched while I put things back into place. Mainly I just watch in the monitor to make sure there isn't any smoke or anything wrong.

One tip when first starting (I am sure old timers know this all ready) I like to watch in the mirror when I turn as I can see that the wheels of the car are rotating. Sounds simple but it is a quick chance to see things are working (don't get distracted looking back). Always check lights and breaks before taking off. I have a check list and follow that. Taking the break off, having the keys turn to accessory and having the break buddy working is among the check list. Didn't even really know the car was behind the RV but take a look in the monitor to make sure it is still following. Always take a look when the same type/color car passes me on the road as there are a blue million of them.  ;D

Use to move railroad cars at work in my early years. If that doesn't bother you then towing is pretty much a breeze, just pay attention once in a while to make sure things are right.

therealsimpsons said:
Is this part of the app for smart phones? How do I access it, please?

oh yes indeed, I used the "RV friendly" part of gasbuddy which I used for "Flying J" location. I practically planned our route based on Flying J. I used my laptop and went to the gas buddy website, I don't think the phone app had the "RV friendly" available

BUT a couple times I had to stop and get gas at a "normal" gas station like "Loves" and found I had barely enough maneuvering space to make a turn out of the pumps

Back
Top Bottom