How Do I Tell If RV Pre-Wired for A/C ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RJake1

I have 85 Coachmen Classic.  No roof a/c.  I want to install.  Two questions:
1) How can I tell if my overhead vent is prewired for a/c?
2)  Assuming it is prewired, how hard is it to install roof unit?  I'm not too mechanical but I can drill holes and work a screwdriver.

Thanks.

Several years ago I purchased a 73 Coachmen Cadet 18 ft. that didn't have air so I bought a used unit figuring I would have to wire it.  When I took the roof vent out I couldn't believe the wiring was folded up & stuffed behind the vent trim. At the circuit breaker box all I had to do was connect the wire.  If you put in a used unit make sure you get a new gasketfor the unit because they really flatten out. You don't want leaks!

Changing a roof vent for an AC is fairly easy.  Usually it's remove trim and 4 bolts, vent then comes out, If pre-wired you will find the wires there, pull the wires out where you can get them, set new AC in place (Routing wires) NOTE this is best done with an assistant.  4 bolts attach wires replace trim with new trim

The hard part is getting the unit up on the roof w/o dropping it.

I guess what I'm really asking is what do the wires look like?  I pulled the vent and there is a wire in there (I think it was grey - flat).  Somebody told me it was for a/c but somebody else told me it was to wire up an exhaust fan.  Since I have an exhaust fan in the rear vent I'm hoping its for a/c. 

What should I be looking for in terms of wires?  Just one wire or more?  Any particular color?

Thanks.

Even with as many years  that have passed, Why not call Coachman and ASK?

RJake1 said:
I guess what I'm really asking is what do the wires look like?  I pulled the vent and there is a wire in there (I think it was grey - flat).  Somebody told me it was for a/c but somebody else told me it was to wire up an exhaust fan.  Since I have an exhaust fan in the rear vent I'm hoping its for a/c. 

What should I be looking for in terms of wires?  Just one wire or more?  Any particular color?

Thanks.

There should be two wires. Now they will probably be encased in one piece of insulation. The gray-flat wire you saw is probably it.

There should be some printing on the cable, and it should say something like 12/2 or 12/3, and the wire colors should be black (hot), white (neutral) and green (ground; if present), and will be solid conductors, not stranded.
Added: The ground may be a bare, solid wire.

Like Karl said, the wire will be either white or grey Romex, similar to the wiring going to the 120 volt outlets.  You'll also have to find the other end of it, near the AC circuit breaker box, and connect it to the appropriate places inside the breaker box.  If you don't have a dedicated 120 volt breaker for the air conditioner, you'll have to add one.

I should look like common 110 wiring.  If you have trouble identifing that you may want someone to hook it up for you.  The last thing you want is to leave it on at night with you family asleep and have it catch fire.  Not good having the middle of you MH on fire with family trapped.  And I second the assistant.  I installed one in my previous truck camper.  I actually slid it up the ladder in from of my and got it to the roof.  Don't know how I did it but I was alot younger then.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bob007
Back
Top Bottom