How do I turn on Suburban heater in Starcraft Meteor?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bill369

I have a 1999 Starcraft Meteor with a Suburban NT-18SE LP heater installed. I do not see a thermostat nor any sort of switch anywhere in the camper.

How in the world do I turn the heater on?

I have worked with a lot of different Suburban RV furnaces, but I can't locate anything on an NT18. I do have a service manual that covers NT models 12, 16, & 20 so I suspect that yours works the same way. If so, the furnace is turned on or off with the thermostat. In all cases that I am familiar with the thermostat looks like or similar to this one.
1634675831325.jpeg
If it is, you just push it up to the temperature setting and the furnace should start the blower and after a short time open the gas valve and fire the ignition probe.

Ha ha ha ha! Silly me. The Suburban NT-18SE is a water heater, not a furnace. I bought this camper without the sink. I ASSumed the heater was a furnace until I pulled it out and saw the water tubes.

Do you have a small silver exhaust port right behind where the sink should be that's NOT connected to the water heater?

We have a 1994 Starcraft Starburst popup with a 12' "tub", which I'm going to guess is somewhat similar. The sink goes on the drivers side, right in front of the bench with the freshwater tank. The furnace goes under the sink near the floor (inside the sink cabinet) and exhausts through the side right behind the sink, thermostat is attached to the left side of the countertop with the sink. It will happily drain an entire 20 pound barbecue tank in one night if it gets below freezing. You can probably find a damaged popup with the heater in it pretty cheap, just make sure it hasn't already been stripped for parts first.

I'm going to take a wild guess that this is the missing heater:

It's over $1000 new, so finding a wrecked or damaged camper that has the same style would probably be your best bet. This style just has a little outlet on the outside for the heater exhaust, the other style has a full cabinet on the outside with a door you can open to service it.

Our didn't have a water heater at all or pressurized water, just a manual pump on the sink so its possible you just have a water heater instead of a furnace, but those furnaces are tiny you could easily shove one in somewhere.

I was also thinking even if yours never had a heater to start with, the other side of the camper from the sink has the propane line that goes to the external bracket for the camp stove, you could probably put a used furnace there

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom