How does a class C refrigerator work while on the road?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

marcb

How does a class C refrigerator work while on the road; does it run on 12 volts, or propane while traveling from site to site?

Thank you

The refrigerator needs both 12VDC for the controls and propane for the burner when not on shore or generator power.  It may or may not have an automatic switchover between gas and electric.

It will run on propane or 12VDC.  Most run on only propane or 120VAC.  Some have the 12VDC option.  Many automatically switch over from propane to 120VAC when connected to an electrical supply.

Some RVers that do not want propane gas on while traveling shut them off when driving.  I don't have a problem running the ref on propane while driving.  I just make sure I turn it off prior to stopping for fuel. 

How dangerous is it to run a refrigerator with propane while going down the highway?

How much propane does it use?

Thank you

Many of us run the refrigerator on propane while on the road.  I have not heard of any problems as a result of doing so.  The refrigerator uses very little propane, almost not measurable.

As Ned said, the fridge uses very little propane.  In fact, last time I took notice, after a full day of running the fridge on propane, the needle on the tank gauge has not even moved at all.

One more question (well more than one).

Since I don't have a 30 Amp recepticle at home to plug our MH into at the house, Can I let the refrigerator cool down overnight on the propane? Will there be enough battery power to run it all night?

Is there any other way to get electricity to the MH without a 30 Amp recepticle? I would guess one of the major reasons it's 30 AMP is due to the AC unit. I would like enough 110 just to run a light or two and the refrigerator.

Thank you

Just get a 20 to 30 adapter.  will even run fridge, but using propane is fine too.  12v is just for igniter.  Don't forget, folks go out and camp with no pug ins all the time.  What can draw down the bTtery is tuff like running furnace all night without ac power. 

I agree on the 20/30 adapter and running off house current.  Save your propane and it will cool down just fine.  One thing to note though, use a heavy duty extension cord (30 A)  if you need one; do not use the standard orange ones you might have laying around as they will get quite warm.  Not cheap but worth the investment.  We run our class c down the highway with propane.  I am aware of various state laws and check them out before any trip plus being aware of requirements going thru tunnels.  Short tunnels are never really an issue; long tunnels may require flames be turned out and it is simple enough to comply with.  And I do turn off the fridge when filling up with diesel and do not relight until down the road some. 

Back
Top Bottom